|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Halley punished by her mother?
2. What does Halley do to comfort Scarlett?
3. Why does Scarlett says that having the baby is hard?
4. Why does Halley's mother tell her to come straight home from school?
5. What does Scarlett tell Halley when they meet at the soda machines?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Halley know that she must leave the camp immediately and agree to head for home when Scarlett calls?
2. What do Scarlett and Halley do before they head into school in the mornings?
3. What does Scarlett say happened during the fight that she and Marion had when Scarlett told her that she was pregnant?
4. What was Michael known for in school and how did Halley view him?
5. Where does Macon take Halley and what does he let her do on the way there?
6. How does Halley describe the way she feels about herself as compared to how she views Scarlett?
7. What is Halley's mother's job and why doesn't she want to let her come home?
8. How does Halley feel about Marion and how does she describe Marion?
9. What type of club does Steve belong to and what does he do on the weekends as a part of this club?
10. What is Scarlett worried about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what ways does the character of Halley experience the emotions of embarrassment and victimization throughout the novel? Are these emotions justified? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Does this novel accurately represent the life and issues a teen today faces? Why or why not? In what ways does this novel address issues you have faced specifically in your life.
Essay Topic 3
How does Halley and Scarlett's friendship demonstrate strength throughout the novel? In what ways does it show weakness? Which of the two of them seems to be the strongest character and why?
This section contains 663 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)