|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Elizabeth Gunderson approach Halley?
2. What does Halley's mother's toast say?
3. What comment does Halley's mother make about Macon's driving?
4. What does Halley's mother want her to do that Halley avoids?
5. What does Halley reflect on when Macon heads toward the parking lot full of long-haired guys?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Scarlett worried about?
2. What happened when Scarlett and Michael had sex and why wasn't Scarlett worried?
3. What happens to Halley's grandmother?
4. What does Scarlett say about her judgments of Marion's boyfriends?
5. What does Scarlett tell Halley about her feelings in regards to her mother's conversation with Scarlett's mother?
6. Where does Macon take Halley and what does he let her do on the way there?
7. What does Scarlett begin to notice about Steve?
8. What does Halley think Scarlett's body changes remind her of?
9. What type of club does Steve belong to and what does he do on the weekends as a part of this club?
10. How does Halley feel about Marion and how does she describe Marion?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What do you think the purpose of the metaphor of the comet is in relation to the themes of this novel? Do you think the novel would be as well developed had the comet metaphor be left out? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
What actions does Macon take which help the reader to believe that he enjoys causing difficulties between Halley and her parents? Do you believe he seems to like the fact that Halley's parents dislike him? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
In what ways does Scarlett's mother, Marion, change throughout the novel? Do you believe the changes are positive or negative? Why? What influence do you think other characters in the novel had on these changes?
This section contains 646 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)