|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Halley believe Scarlett gets a sad expression when she talks to her about Macon?
2. What does Halley's mother ask Halley when she comes back to her room?
3. How does Halley's mother seem to feel learning things about her daughter from others?
4. Who told Halley's mother that Macon is Halley's boyfriend?
5. Why didn't Halley and Scarlett know Michael for most of high school?
Short Essay Questions
1. What three rules does Macon tell Halley about?
2. What was Michael known for in school and how did Halley view him?
3. What worries Halley's mother about Macon and what does Halley think about how her mother approaches this subject?
4. What is Halley's mother's job and why doesn't she want to let her come home?
5. What does Scarlett name her child and how does Halley feel about this?
6. What does Halley think about Cameron at first, but then come to realize about him?
7. How does Halley feel about the time she spends with Macon in P.E. and his suggestions that she come to the party with him?
8. Why can't Halley sleep and what does she hope to discover about Macon?
9. What happens when Halley and Macon are lying on the bed together and he is getting ready to have sex with her?
10. How can Halley tell that Macon is trying to get in touch with her and how does this make her feel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what way does the metaphor of a coloring book accurately describe the events within the book? What would be another accurate metaphor? How would that develop?
Essay Topic 2
In what ways does Halley allow others to create the changes in her own personality? In what ways does she take responsibility for these changes? Which do you think is the healhier path to choose? Why?
Essay Topic 3
What do you think the purpose of the metaphor of the comet is in relation to the themes of this novel? Do you think the novel would be as well developed had the comet metaphor be left out? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,355 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)