|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Sam, the proprietor of the hotel, born and raised, according to the narrator in Book Three, Chapter 12?
2. What is the name of the black community where Meena lives in Nova Scotia?
3. Who runs the port at Bance Island and introduces Meena to the traders who might act as guides inland for her in Book Four, Chapter 19?
4. Where does Meena learn the British plan to relocate blacks that have served the British forces in Book Three, Chapter 13?
5. What is the title of Book Four, Chapter 20?
Short Essay Questions
1. What argument does Thomas Peters present regarding the Sierra Leone Company ships in Book Four, Chapter 17?
2. How much time has passed between the ending of Book Four, Chapter 19 and the beginning of Book Four, Chapter 20? How does Meena describe this period of time?
3. How does Meena come to meet Colonel Baker in Book Three, Chapter 13? What does Baker tell Meena about the peace treaty?
4. How are the territories of the American Revolutionary War described in the opening of Book Three, Chapter 13? How do these standings impact everyday life for Meena?
5. How is Alverna Witherspoon described in Book Three, Chapter 15? Where does Meena meet Mrs. Witherspoon?
6. How much money does Meena give to the visitor at Daddy Moses’ chapel in Book Three, Chapter 16? What story does this character relate upon his return?
7. How is Dr. Falconbridge described in Book Four, Chapter 18? What does he give to Meena?
8. How is the character of Hector Smithers described in Book Four, Chapter 21? What is Smithers’ plight during the voyage to England?
9. What ship is Meena aboard in the beginning of Book Four, Chapter 17? Where is the ship sailing and how many passengers are aboard?
10. Who meets Meena in Gravesend once she’s arrived in England in Book Four, Chapter 21? Where is Meena taken first?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss Meena’s successful flight to freedom in New York. Why does Sam tell Meena to flee when he does? Where does Meena go? How long does she stay in this location?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the perceptions of the slaves upon arriving at Sullivan’s Island. How different is this setting from their native Africa? How were the slaves dressed when they arrived here? How were they treated?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the character of the Medicine Man on the slave-ship. How old is this character? How would you describe the Medicine Man’s demeanor and behavior toward the slaves? Why does the Medicine Man take Aminata as an assistant?
This section contains 964 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)