|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of business is Alverna Witherspoon’s husband said to run in Book Three, Chapter 15?
2. What is the name of the inn where Solomon Lindo and Meena stay in Book Three, Chapter 12?
3. Who is stabbed with a saber as he attempts to help captives being led to slavery in Book Four, Chapter 17?
4. Whom does Meena describe attending a church service with in Book Three, Chapter 11?
5. What is the name of the botanist on board Meena’s ship to England in Book Four, Chapter 21?
Short Essay Questions
1. What leads up to the riots in Birchtown in Book Three, Chapter 15? Where does Meena go for shelter when the riots break out?
2. On what date does Meena run for freedom in Book Three, Chapter 12? What does she awaken to on her first day as a runaway slave?
3. What takes place when Meena testifies before the parliamentary committee in Book Four, Chapter 21?
4. What is described by the narrator in Book Three, Chapter 11?
5. What year and setting are described in the opening of Book Three, Chapter 12? What are Meena’s impressions of this setting?
6. What does Meena encounter when she goes to the Land Registry Office in Book Three, Chapter 14?
7. What is the history of Sam Fraunces that he reveals to Meena in Book Three, Chapter 12? Where is Sam from?
8. Why does Sam tell Meena to make a break for freedom when he does in Book Three, Chapter 12?
9. Whom does Meena meet at Bance Island in Book Four, Chapter 19? What discovery does Meena make about her past here?
10. How is Sam Fraunces described when he is introduced in Book Three, Chapter 12? What exchange takes place between Sam and Meena at the hotel desk?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the themes of loss and violence seen thus far in Someone Knows My Name. What are examples of loss and grief that Aminata has already encountered at her young age? How is the theme of loss manifested through the character of Fanta?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and analyze the narrative style of the story. Is the narrator involved directly in the action of the story? Is the story related in present or past tense? What effect does each of these choices have on the reader?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the perceptions of the slaves upon arriving at Sullivan’s Island. How different is this setting from their native Africa? How were the slaves dressed when they arrived here? How were they treated?
This section contains 923 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)