|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does John Clarkson tell the Nova Scotians they will name their colony in Sierra Leone in Book Four, Chapter 17?
2. What is the name of the black cellist that Meena and Solomon Lindo go to see in concert in Book Three, Chapter 12?
3. Where does Sam tell Meena to hide out for three days in Book Three, Chapter 12?
4. What year is denoted by the author in the opening of Book Three, Chapter 12?
5. How many years has it been since Meena has seen Chekura when he reappears in Book Three, Chapter 13?
Short Essay Questions
1. On what date does Meena run for freedom in Book Three, Chapter 12? What does she awaken to on her first day as a runaway slave?
2. How are Meena’s friends and fellow colonists in Freetown killed in Book Four, Chapter 17?
3. How is Alverna Witherspoon described in Book Three, Chapter 15? Where does Meena meet Mrs. Witherspoon?
4. How is Dr. Falconbridge described in Book Four, Chapter 18? What does he give to Meena?
5. Who meets Meena in Gravesend once she’s arrived in England in Book Four, Chapter 21? Where is Meena taken first?
6. How much time has passed between the ending of Book Four, Chapter 19 and the beginning of Book Four, Chapter 20? How does Meena describe this period of time?
7. What year and setting are described in the opening of Book Three, Chapter 12? What are Meena’s impressions of this setting?
8. Where is Meena taken after she has recovered from the worst of her illness in the village in Book Four, Chapter 20?
9. How is the setting described in the opening of Book Three, Chapter 14? What does Meena think of this setting?
10. What is described by the narrator in Book Three, Chapter 11?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the protagonist and narrator of the novel as introduced in Book One, Chapter 1. How old is Aminata Diallo at this point in the story? What characteristics stand out about Aminata based on her use of language and observations? How does Aminata change in the story?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the setting of early 19th Century London. Why does Aminata say she is in London in Book One, Chapter 1? How was the abolitionist cause defined at this time in Great Britain? How does Aminata describe her living arrangements here?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the character of Solomon Lindo as Meena’s new owner. How does Lindo differ from Robinson Appleby? What are Meena’s impressions of Mrs. Lindo? How does Meena’s relationship with Solomon Lindo evolve?
This section contains 919 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)