|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does the narrator say the British cut off provisions to the colony in Nova Scotia in Book Three, Chapter 15?
2. What is the name of the botanist on board Meena’s ship to England in Book Four, Chapter 21?
3. Who finally tells Meena that the Weatherspoons departed on a ship with Meena’s daughter in Book Three, Chapter 15?
4. What is the title of Book Four, Chapter 19?
5. On what date does Meena say she made her break for freedom from slavery in Book Three, Chapter 12?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Dr. Falconbridge described in Book Four, Chapter 18? What does he give to Meena?
2. What is described by the narrator in Book Three, Chapter 11?
3. How are the territories of the American Revolutionary War described in the opening of Book Three, Chapter 13? How do these standings impact everyday life for Meena?
4. What takes place when Meena testifies before the parliamentary committee in Book Four, Chapter 21?
5. How is Meena regarded by the white residents in the town where she’s arrived in Book Three, Chapter 14?
6. What information does Lieutenant Clarkson present to Daddy Moses’ congregation in Book Three, Chapter 16?
7. What argument does Thomas Peters present regarding the Sierra Leone Company ships in Book Four, Chapter 17?
8. When does Meena read the peace treaty agreement from the British in Book Three, Chapter 13? What information is revealed?
9. How is the setting described in the opening of Book Three, Chapter 14? What does Meena think of this setting?
10. How much time has passed between the ending of Book Four, Chapter 19 and the beginning of Book Four, Chapter 20? How does Meena describe this period of time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the procedures of slave-auctions in the colonies and the setting of Charles Town. Where were slave auctions held in the city of Charles Town? How realistic is the author’s depiction of this event? How realistically are the slave auctions depicted in Someone Knows My Name?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Aminata’s journey to the plantation in Book Two, Chapter 6. How far does Meena travel by foot from Sullivan Island to St. Helena Island in South Carolina? How many days does this journey take? How does Meena describe the journey?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the characters of Dolly and Jimbo in the narrative. How old is Dolly? How long has Dolly worked for the Lindos? What are Meena’s impressions of these characters?
This section contains 906 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)