|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Sullivan’s Island is located off the coast of what U.S. state?
2. What is the title of Book One, Chapter 2?
3. Who does Chekura say sold him to the slave-traders in Book One, Chapter 3?
4. What is the name of Appleby’s black assistant who takes over as overseer in Book Two, Chapter 7?
5. What is the name of the son Dolly gives birth to in Book Two, Chapter 9?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Aminata describe the history of storytellers in her village in Book One, Chapter 4?
2. Who cares for Aminata when she becomes ill on the island in Book Two, Chapter 6?
3. How is the marriage exchange between Meena’s mother and father described in Book One, Chapter 2?
4. What setting is described in the opening of Book Two, Chapter 6? How do the slaves react to this setting?
5. Why is Aminata given the name “Meena” by the other slaves on the plantation in Book Two, Chapter 7?
6. What is Meena’s full name? Why is she located in her current setting in Book One, Chapter 1?
7. Who are the visitors that Appleby brings to the plantation in Book Two, Chapter 8? What encounter does Meena have with them?
8. Who oversees the slaves at Appleby’s plantation in Book Two, Chapter 7? How many slaves does Meena describe there?
9. How does Dolly teach Meena in her daily tasks in Book Two, Chapter 9?
10. When and where does the narrator say she was born in Book One, Chapter 1? What does she say should happen if she should die before completing her life story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the procedures of slave-auctions in the colonies and the setting of Charles Town. Where were slave auctions held in the city of Charles Town? How realistic is the author’s depiction of this event? How realistically are the slave auctions depicted in Someone Knows My Name?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Aminata’s journey to the plantation in Book Two, Chapter 6. How far does Meena travel by foot from Sullivan Island to St. Helena Island in South Carolina? How many days does this journey take? How does Meena describe the journey?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the birth of Mamadu, his “kidnapping,” and Meena’s despair over Mamadu’s loss in Book Two, Chapter 8. Who takes Mamadu? Why? How does Meena respond to this tragedy?
This section contains 906 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)