|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the word that Meena uses to describe the storyteller in her village in Book One, Chapter 4?
2. What is the name of Meena’s baby that was taken by Mr. Appleby and sold?
3. What term do the slaves on the plantation use to refer to the white man in Book Two, Chapter 6?
4. What is the title of Book Two, Chapter 6?
5. What is the title of Book Two, Chapter 7?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the character of Dolly described in Book Two, Chapter 9?
2. Who cares for Aminata when she becomes ill on the island in Book Two, Chapter 6?
3. How is Meena’s relationship with each of her parents described in Book One, Chapter 2?
4. How does Aminata describe the history of storytellers in her village in Book One, Chapter 4?
5. How is the marriage exchange between Meena’s mother and father described in Book One, Chapter 2?
6. Why is Aminata taken as an assistant to the white man on the slave-ship in Book One, Chapter 4?
7. How does Meena overcome the attack from Master Appleby in Book Two, Chapter 8?
8. How does Aminata describe the journey she is taken on after the auction in Book Two, Chapter 6?
9. Who oversees the slaves at Appleby’s plantation in Book Two, Chapter 7? How many slaves does Meena describe there?
10. When does Meena have her first child in Book Two, Chapter 8? How is this experience described?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the character of the Medicine Man on the slave-ship. How old is this character? How would you describe the Medicine Man’s demeanor and behavior toward the slaves? Why does the Medicine Man take Aminata as an assistant?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss Meena’s successful flight to freedom in New York. Why does Sam tell Meena to flee when he does? Where does Meena go? How long does she stay in this location?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the birth of Mamadu, his “kidnapping,” and Meena’s despair over Mamadu’s loss in Book Two, Chapter 8. Who takes Mamadu? Why? How does Meena respond to this tragedy?
This section contains 840 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)