|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What word in the narrative is used to describe any of various gourds for carrying water or liquids?
2. With whose child does Meena become pregnant in Book Two, Chapter 8?
3. What is the name of the female slave that is taken on the walking journey along with Fomba and Meena in Book Two, Chapter 6?
4. What is the language called that Georgia uses when talking to the whites in Book Two, Chapter 7?
5. How old does Chekura say he is in Book One, Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Aminata’s new situation described in the beginning of Book Two, Chapter 9?
2. Who are the visitors that Appleby brings to the plantation in Book Two, Chapter 8? What encounter does Meena have with them?
3. When and where does the narrator say she was born in Book One, Chapter 1? What does she say should happen if she should die before completing her life story?
4. Where and when does Book One, Chapter 1 open? How does the narrator introduce herself in this chapter?
5. How many captives are traveling with Aminata’s group in the beginning of Book One, Chapter 3? Who arrives that is from Aminata’s village?
6. Whose child does Aminata deliver in Book One, Chapter 3? What is the child named?
7. What does Meena learn about Solomon Lindo that changes their relationship in Book Two, Chapter 10?
8. How is Meena’s relationship with each of her parents described in Book One, Chapter 2?
9. How does Aminata describe the journey she is taken on after the auction in Book Two, Chapter 6?
10. How does Meena describe the devastation of the smallpox plague of 1774 in Book Two, Chapter 10?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and analyze the characters of Fomba and Aminata’s parents in the novel. How old do you imagine Aminata’s mother and father to be? What is the term used to describe Fomba’s status in the village? How does Aminata feel about Fomba’s status as a slave?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the characters of Fanta and Chekura in the narrative. How old are Chekura and Fanta? How did Chekura come to work for the slave-traders? How does Fanta stand apart among the captives? How does the relationship between Chekura and Aminata develop?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the character of the Medicine Man on the slave-ship. How old is this character? How would you describe the Medicine Man’s demeanor and behavior toward the slaves? Why does the Medicine Man take Aminata as an assistant?
This section contains 893 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)