|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was Charles Town founded in honor of King Charles II of England?
2. Where is the narrator of the novel located in Book One, Chapter 1?
3. What year is noted in the opening of Book One, Chapter 1?
4. What visitor of Mr. Appleby’s attempts to rape Meena in Book Two, Chapter 8?
5. What is the name of the Bamana woman that Meena encounters during the walking journey in the New World in Book Two, Chapter 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Aminata given the name “Meena” by the other slaves on the plantation in Book Two, Chapter 7?
2. What is Meena’s full name? Why is she located in her current setting in Book One, Chapter 1?
3. When does Meena have her first child in Book Two, Chapter 8? How is this experience described?
4. What setting is described in the opening of Book One, Chapter 2? How is the setting described?
5. Whose child does Aminata deliver in Book One, Chapter 3? What is the child named?
6. Who oversees the slaves at Appleby’s plantation in Book Two, Chapter 7? How many slaves does Meena describe there?
7. How old is Chekura described in Book One, Chapter 3? How did he come to be among the captors?
8. How does Aminata describe the journey she is taken on after the auction in Book Two, Chapter 6?
9. How is Aminata’s arrival at Robinson Appleby’s indigo plantation described in Book Two, Chapter 7?
10. What setting is described in the opening of Book Two, Chapter 6? How do the slaves react to this setting?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the perceptions of the slaves upon arriving at Sullivan’s Island. How different is this setting from their native Africa? How were the slaves dressed when they arrived here? How were they treated?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the character of Solomon Lindo as Meena’s new owner. How does Lindo differ from Robinson Appleby? What are Meena’s impressions of Mrs. Lindo? How does Meena’s relationship with Solomon Lindo evolve?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the procedures of slave-auctions in the colonies and the setting of Charles Town. Where were slave auctions held in the city of Charles Town? How realistic is the author’s depiction of this event? How realistically are the slave auctions depicted in Someone Knows My Name?
This section contains 881 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)