|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of John Clarkson’s wife whom Meena befriends in Book Four, Chapter 21?
(a) Anna Maria.
2. Who is the former slave author that Dr. Falconbridge’s wife suggests Meena write an autobiography like in Book Four, Chapter 18?
(a) Olaudah Equiano.
(b) Daddy Moses.
(c) King Jimmy.
(d) Scott Wilson.
3. What is the title of Book Three, Chapter 11?
(a) Three Revolutions of the Moon.
(b) We Glide Over the Unburied.
(c) They Call Me an ‘African’.
(d) Nations Not So Blest as Thee.
4. For how long does Meena say the Rebels held Manhattan before it was taken back into the control of the British in the beginning of Book Three, Chapter 13?
(a) 1 year.
(b) 6 months.
(c) 2 years.
(d) 3 months.
5. What is the title of Book Three, Chapter 16?
(a) Small Hands Were Good.
(b) They Call Me an ‘African’.
(c) Elephants for Want of Towns.
(d) Three Revolutions of the Moon.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many fingers is Chekura missing when he reappears in Book Three, Chapter 13?
2. How many years ago does Thomas Peters say he came to Nova Scotia in Book Three, Chapter 16?
3. What name does Meena give her daughter in Book Three, Chapter 15?
4. Whom does Meena untie after he’s been assaulted by whites on the road to Shelburne in Book Three, Chapter 15?
5. How much does Sam start out paying Meena per week when she begins working for him in Book Three, Chapter 12?
Short Essay Questions
1. On what date does Meena run for freedom in Book Three, Chapter 12? What does she awaken to on her first day as a runaway slave?
2. When does Meena read the peace treaty agreement from the British in Book Three, Chapter 13? What information is revealed?
3. Where is Meena taken after she has recovered from the worst of her illness in the village in Book Four, Chapter 20?
4. What does Meena encounter when she goes to the Land Registry Office in Book Three, Chapter 14?
5. How is Dr. Falconbridge described in Book Four, Chapter 18? What does he give to Meena?
6. What argument does Thomas Peters present regarding the Sierra Leone Company ships in Book Four, Chapter 17?
7. How are Meena’s friends and fellow colonists in Freetown killed in Book Four, Chapter 17?
8. How does Meena come to meet Colonel Baker in Book Three, Chapter 13? What does Baker tell Meena about the peace treaty?
9. What causes Meena to flee from the slave-traders in Book Four, Chapter 20? How does she flee?
10. How is the character of Hector Smithers described in Book Four, Chapter 21? What is Smithers’ plight during the voyage to England?
This section contains 941 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)