|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the title of Book Two, Chapter 8?
(a) Words Swim Farther than a Man Can Walk.
(b) We Glide Over the Unburied.
(c) Small Hands Were Good.
(d) Milk for the Longest Nursing.
2. What is the name of the older black man that Dolly buys most of her food items from in town each day in Book Two, Chapter 9?
(a) Daddy Moses.
3. What concoction does Georgia give to Meena to drink after her first sexual experience in Book Two, Chapter 8?
(a) Cherry pits and coal.
(b) Foxglove and pennyroyal.
(c) Vinegar and iodine.
(d) Tansy and cedar berries.
4. How far along in her pregnancy does Meena surmise Fanta is in Book One, Chapter 3?
(a) 8 months.
(b) 5 months.
(c) 7 months.
(d) 6 months.
5. Where is the narrator of the novel located in Book One, Chapter 1?
(d) Sullivan Island.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who encourages Meena to learn the language of the white man but not to teach him theirs, in Book One, Chapter 4?
2. In what city does Solomon Lindo live when he purchases Meena?
3. What term does Solomon Lindo tell Meena he prefers to use, rather than “slave,” in Book Two, Chapter 9?
4. Approximately how many slaves does Meena describe at Appleby’s indigo plantation in Book Two, Chapter 7?
5. What word in the narrative is used to describe any of various gourds for carrying water or liquids?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the procedure of the slave auction described in Book Two, Chapter 6?
2. Who oversees the slaves at Appleby’s plantation in Book Two, Chapter 7? How many slaves does Meena describe there?
3. What is Meena’s full name? Why is she located in her current setting in Book One, Chapter 1?
4. Whose deaths does Meena describe hearing about through the fishnet in the beginning of Book Two, Chapter 10?
5. How many captives are traveling with Aminata’s group in the beginning of Book One, Chapter 3? Who arrives that is from Aminata’s village?
6. How does Meena describe the devastation of the smallpox plague of 1774 in Book Two, Chapter 10?
7. How does Aminata describe the journey she is taken on after the auction in Book Two, Chapter 6?
8. What is the central dispute between Meena and the abolitionists in London, as illustrated in Book Two, Chapter 5?
9. How is Aminata’s arrival at Robinson Appleby’s indigo plantation described in Book Two, Chapter 7?
10. What does Meena learn about Solomon Lindo that changes their relationship in Book Two, Chapter 10?
This section contains 890 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)