|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of business is Alverna Witherspoon’s husband said to run in Book Three, Chapter 15?
(a) A print shop.
(b) A trapping business.
(c) A whaling business.
(d) A gold mining business.
2. How many years has it been since Meena first visited Bance Island and met William Armstrong in the beginning of Book Four, Chapter 20?
3. What year is denoted by the author in the opening of Book Three, Chapter 12?
4. On what date does Meena say she and Chekura conceived their second child in Book Three, Chapter 13?
(a) November 7, 1783.
(b) April 23, 1775.
(c) November 7, 1775.
(d) August 15, 1783.
5. Where is the location of the offices of the Committee for the Abolition of the Slave Trade that Meena is taken to in Book Four, Chapter 21?
(a) 14 Thames Avenue.
(b) 233 Old Mission Blvd.
(c) 34 Waterbury Lane.
(d) 18 Old Jewry Street.
6. On what date does Meena’s ship sail into St. George’s Bay in Book Four, Chapter 17?
(a) November 7, 1775.
(b) April 23, 1775.
(c) March 26, 1783.
(d) March 9, 1792.
7. What is the name of the woman that Meena lives with during her first days in Sierra Leone in Book Four, Chapter 17?
(a) Debra Stockman.
(b) Alverna Witherspoon.
8. Which of the abolitionists tells Meena that he wants to write her life story in Book Four, Chapter 21?
(a) John Clarkson.
(b) Thomas Clarkson.
(c) William Armstrong.
(d) Sir Stanley Hastings.
9. What is the name of the black community where Meena lives in Nova Scotia?
10. What is the name of Meena’s employer at the print shop in Shelburne, Nova Scotia?
(a) Theo McArdle.
(b) Sam Fraunces.
(c) Robinson Appleby.
(d) John Clarkson.
11. Where does Meena learn the British plan to relocate blacks that have served the British forces in Book Three, Chapter 13?
(a) Nova Scotia.
(c) Cape Hope.
(d) Sierra Leone.
12. How many years ago does Thomas Peters say he ran from the man who owned him in North Carolina in Book Three, Chapter 16?
13. How much does Sam start out paying Meena per week when she begins working for him in Book Three, Chapter 12?
(a) 2 shillings.
(b) 5 shillings.
(c) 1 shilling.
(d) 7 shillings.
14. Where does Meena begin teaching blacks to read and write in Book Three, Chapter 12?
(a) The New York Public Library.
(b) St. Frances Chapel.
(c) St. Paul’s Chapel.
(d) St. Peter’s Cathedral.
15. What is the name of the ship that Meena and John Clarkson take to Africa in Book Four, Chapter 17?
(a) The King George.
(b) The Sierra Leone Packet.
(c) The Queen Charlotte.
(d) The Lucretia.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the village where the slave-trader tells his workers he intends to sell Meena in Book Four, Chapter 20?
2. What is the name of the inn where Solomon Lindo and Meena stay in Book Three, Chapter 12?
3. For how long does Meena say the Rebels held Manhattan before it was taken back into the control of the British in the beginning of Book Three, Chapter 13?
4. How many days is it into Meena’s inland journey with the slave-trader when she overhears him saying he plans to sell her in the next village in Book Four, Chapter 20?
5. What is the title of Book Four, Chapter 21?
This section contains 522 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)