|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Meena goes with Georgia to assist in the birthing of another slave’s baby in Book Two, Chapter 7, the slave giving birth only speaks what language?
2. What year is denoted by the author in the opening of Book Two, Chapter 5?
3. What gift does Chekura give to Meena on his first visit to see her in Book Two, Chapter 7?
(a) A red-striped kerchief.
(b) A ring made from metal.
(c) A blue scarf.
(d) A seashell.
4. Meena insists to the abolitionists in Book Two, Chapter 5 that she cannot condemn the slave trade without condemning what as well?
(a) The Americans.
(b) The British.
(d) Slavery itself.
5. What year is noted in the opening of Book One, Chapter 1?
6. What is the name of the older black man that Dolly buys most of her food items from in town each day in Book Two, Chapter 9?
(b) Daddy Moses.
7. Fanta is one of how many wives of the chief of Meena’s village?
8. What is the title of Book Two, Chapter 8?
(a) We Glide Over the Unburied.
(b) Milk for the Longest Nursing.
(c) Small Hands Were Good.
(d) Words Swim Farther than a Man Can Walk.
9. What is the name of the slave giving birth when Meena and Georgia go to assist her birth in Book Two, Chapter 7?
10. By what name does Dolly refer to the estate owned by Solomon Lindo?
(c) Lindo Manor.
(d) Lindo House.
11. What is the title of Book Two, Chapter 10?
(a) Milk for the Longest Nursing.
(b) Words Come Late from a Wet-nurse.
(c) Words Swim Farther than a Man Can Walk.
(d) The Shape of Africa.
12. By what title does Meena refer to the white man on the ship that makes her his assistant in Book One, Chapter 4?
(a) The Medicine Man.
(b) The Ship Chief.
(c) The Bururi.
(d) The Kassam.
13. What words of prayer does Meena say before the plantation slave berates her for it in Book Two, Chapter 6?
(a) “Bahá’í Gebede.”
(b) “Praise Jesus.”
(c) “Allaahu Akbar.”
(d) “Bəhai duaları.”
14. From what people does Meena say her father came in Book One, Chapter 2?
(a) The Fula people.
(b) The Bamana people.
(c) The Somali people.
(d) The Oromo people.
15. When was Charles Town founded in honor of King Charles II of England?
Short Answer Questions
1. What year does the author denote in the opening of Book Two, Chapter 7?
2. How does Meena say Fomba was killed in Book Two, Chapter 10?
3. Whom does Meena describe in Book Two, Chapter 5 as “the jolly abolitionist”?
4. What is the name of the place that everyone tells Meena she is from in Book Two, Chapter 6?
5. How is Meena’s father killed by the captors?
This section contains 476 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)