|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What gift does Chekura give to Meena on his first visit to see her in Book Two, Chapter 7?
(a) A seashell.
(b) A red-striped kerchief.
(c) A ring made from metal.
(d) A blue scarf.
2. What concoction does Georgia give to Meena to drink after her first sexual experience in Book Two, Chapter 8?
(a) Tansy and cedar berries.
(b) Foxglove and pennyroyal.
(c) Vinegar and iodine.
(d) Cherry pits and coal.
3. What is the date listed by the author in the opening of Book One, Chapter 2?
4. What does Mr. Appleby do after he sends Georgia away to attend a birth without Meena in Book Two, Chapter 7?
(a) He rapes Meena.
(b) He reads to Meena.
(c) He kills Meena.
(d) He sells Meena.
5. What year is denoted by the author in the opening of Book Two, Chapter 5?
6. What visitor of Mr. Appleby’s attempts to rape Meena in Book Two, Chapter 8?
(a) William King.
(b) Thomas Peters.
(c) Scott Wilson.
(d) Hector Smithers.
7. Who leaps overboard when her baby is killed during the uprising in Book One, Chapter 4?
8. What was Meena’s mother’s job in the village where Meena grew up?
(c) Village chief.
(d) Village cook.
9. With whose child does Meena become pregnant in Book Two, Chapter 8?
(a) Mr. Appleby’s.
10. What is the name of the place that everyone tells Meena she is from in Book Two, Chapter 6?
11. What handicap does Fomba develop on the journey of the slave-ship?
(a) He loses the ability to speak.
(b) He has gone deaf.
(c) He’s lost the use of his left arm.
(d) He has gone blind.
12. What is the title of Book Two, Chapter 10?
(a) Words Swim Farther than a Man Can Walk.
(b) Words Come Late from a Wet-nurse.
(c) The Shape of Africa.
(d) Milk for the Longest Nursing.
13. What is the name of the underground passage of messages among the slaves that Meena hears of in Book Two, Chapter 6?
(a) The fishnet.
(b) The railroad.
(c) The whisper.
(d) The flock.
14. How is Meena’s father killed by the captors?
(a) He is beaten to death.
(b) He is thrown overboard.
(c) He is shot.
(d) He is hung.
15. From what people does Meena say her father came in Book One, Chapter 2?
(a) The Oromo people.
(b) The Fula people.
(c) The Somali people.
(d) The Bamana people.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Meena describe in Book Two, Chapter 5 as “the jolly abolitionist”?
2. Who encourages Meena to learn the language of the white man but not to teach him theirs, in Book One, Chapter 4?
3. What does Solomon Lindo refer to as the system he is putting Meena on, wherein she will work for her wages?
4. Solomon Lindo tells Meena that they are both outsiders. Why does Lindo consider himself to be an outsider amongst his society?
5. By what name does Dolly refer to the estate owned by Solomon Lindo?
This section contains 508 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)