|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the audience members drinking during the puppet plays?
2. What kind of woman does Misako's father say Misako is?
3. Why does O-hisa put a lot of time into getting ready for going to the theater in Chapter 10?
4. How does Misako's father criticize O-hisa's singing?
5. Why does Kaname have trouble falling asleep in Chapter 9?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Kaname note Western-style buildings are erected in Japan?
2. What does Kaname imagine about O-hisa at the end of Chapter 10?
3. How did Japanese puppet shows originate?
4. When does the hotel manager suggest Misako's father and his party should attend the theater? When does Misako's father want to go?
5. How does Kaname explain Misako has changed in Chapter 14?
6. What did Kaname notice about Misako after she met Aso?
7. In Chapter 8, what does Takanatsu say will prevent Kaname and Misako from ever divorcing? .
8. What does Kaname look forward to seeing when he visits his father-in-law in Chapter 9? Why does Misako's father play the samisen with his eyes closed?
9. After six months of crying nightly, what did Misako finally admit to Kaname? What did Kaname and Misako agree to after her confession?
10. At the end of Chapter 14, what does Kaname realize he wants?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and interpret at least three of the secondary characters of the novel. What sort of relationships do these characters have with Kaname? Do they have a significant role in the novel? Why or why not? Do these characters influence Kaname's decision to divorce his wife?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motif of adultery in the novel "Some Prefer Nettles." What are some examples of adultery in the novel? Describe Kaname's adulterous relationship with Louise. Describe Misako's adulterous relationship with Aso. How do these relationships affect the marriage between Kaname and Misako?
Essay Topic 3
What struggles does Kaname face throughout the novel? What are the causes of these struggles? How does he overcome them?
This section contains 857 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)