|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Kaname find disconcerting about Misako's father's and O-hisa's relationship?
2. What instrument does O-hisa play while Kaname and Misako's father talk?
3. What does Misako admit to Kaname when she has a breakdown in Chapter 8?
4. What does Misako's father say Kaname did by urging her to date Aso?
5. In Chapter 14, what kind of woman does Kaname admit that he wants?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Loiuse ask Kaname for before he leaves the brothel?
2. What does Kaname think about the relationship between his father-in-law and O-hisa in Chapter 9?
3. What has Misako's father done to ensure O-hisa will be taken care of after he dies?
4. What establishment does Kaname go to when he reaches Kobe? Why does Kaname like to go to this place?
5. How did Hiroshi find out about his parents' separation?
6. In Chapter 8, what does Takanatsu say will prevent Kaname and Misako from ever divorcing? .
7. At the end of Chapter 14, what does Kaname realize he wants?
8. In Chapter 13, what does Kaname find out from the letter from Takanatsu?
9. In Chapter 10, what does O-hisa say she would rather be doing than going to see the theater shows?
10. What does Kaname imagine about O-hisa at the end of Chapter 10?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of adultery in the novel "Some Prefer Nettles." What are some examples of adultery in the novel? Describe Kaname's adulterous relationship with Louise. Describe Misako's adulterous relationship with Aso. How do these relationships affect the marriage between Kaname and Misako?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Tanizaki's use of metaphor in the novel "Some Prefer Nettles." What are some examples of metaphor in the novel? How do these metaphors relate to the novel's themes?
Essay Topic 3
What are some of the archetypes found in the novel? Which female archetype would Misako and O-hisa be? What are the different types of women mentioned, and which does Kaname desire?
This section contains 830 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)