|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Kaname admit he has been hoping would happen for years?
2. In Chapter 10, what time do the puppet plays begin at the theater?
3. What is the Japanese word for the sash O-hisa wears?
4. What do Kaname and his hosts spend the evening doing after leaving the puppet theater?
5. Who does Kaname imagine O-hisa as at the end of Chapter 10?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 13, what does Kaname find out from the letter from Takanatsu?
2. What memory does Kaname recall as he is listening to the samisen music? Why does he think this memory is significant?
3. What does Kaname think about the relationship between his father-in-law and O-hisa in Chapter 9?
4. How did Hiroshi find out about his parents' separation?
5. What does Louise claim about her lineage, and what is the truth? What does Louise do to appeal to Kaname?
6. At the end of Chapter 14, what does Kaname realize he wants?
7. What does Kaname look forward to seeing when he visits his father-in-law in Chapter 9? Why does Misako's father play the samisen with his eyes closed?
8. Why do O-hisa and Misako's father have such difficulty tying her kimono sash?
9. What does Loiuse ask Kaname for before he leaves the brothel?
10. In Chapter 10, what does O-hisa say she would rather be doing than going to see the theater shows?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the conclusion of the novel "Some Prefer Nettles." How does the novel conclude? Is it a happy ending for Kaname? Why or why not? Is the ending believable? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and interpret Kaname's epiphany. What does he finally come to realize? What events or moments cause him to reach this realization? How might his epiphany change his life?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of divorce in the novel "Some Prefer Nettles." Why do Kaname and Misako want to get a divorce? What is making the decision hard to make? How was divorce viewed by Japanese culture in the 1950's?
This section contains 849 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)