|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long has Misako been seeing Aso for?
2. What does Kaname do while Misako and her father are out in Chapter 14?
3. Where does Misako's father stop on his way to the puppet theater?
4. What does Kaname find disconcerting about Misako's father's and O-hisa's relationship?
5. What does Misako admit to Kaname when she has a breakdown in Chapter 8?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Louise claim about her lineage, and what is the truth? What does Louise do to appeal to Kaname?
2. Why does Kaname decide to send a letter to Misako's father to tell him about their divorce? What does Misako's father tell Kaname after he finds out?
3. What popular tradition among stylish gentlemen is explained in Chapter 9?
4. What does Misako's father explain Kaname did by allowing Misako to see Aso?
5. What did Kaname notice about Misako after she met Aso?
6. Describe the puppet theater in Chapter 11.
7. What has Misako's father done to ensure O-hisa will be taken care of after he dies?
8. What establishment does Kaname go to when he reaches Kobe? Why does Kaname like to go to this place?
9. In Chapter 8, what does Takanatsu say will prevent Kaname and Misako from ever divorcing? .
10. Why do O-hisa and Misako's father have such difficulty tying her kimono sash?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the conclusion of the novel "Some Prefer Nettles." How does the novel conclude? Is it a happy ending for Kaname? Why or why not? Is the ending believable? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of marriage in the novel "Some Prefer Nettles." What problems are Kaname and Misako dealing with in their marriage? What does Kaname think of marriage in general? What does Misako think of marriage in general?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Tanizaki's use of metaphor in the novel "Some Prefer Nettles." What are some examples of metaphor in the novel? How do these metaphors relate to the novel's themes?
This section contains 807 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)