|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 10, what time do the puppet plays begin at the theater?
2. For what reason does Kaname say men usually make promises to women?
3. What excuse does Misako use to prevent Kaname from seeing the letter from Takanatsu?
4. What does Takanatsu think about Aso's honesty in Chapter 7?
5. What does Misako admit to Kaname when she has a breakdown in Chapter 8?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Kaname notice about Misako after she met Aso?
2. What does Misako's father explain Kaname did by allowing Misako to see Aso?
3. Why does Kaname decide to send a letter to Misako's father to tell him about their divorce? What does Misako's father tell Kaname after he finds out?
4. In Chapter 8, what does Kaname recall about the early stages of his marriage's breakdown?
5. What has Misako's father done to ensure O-hisa will be taken care of after he dies?
6. In Chapter 10, what does O-hisa say she would rather be doing than going to see the theater shows?
7. When does the hotel manager suggest Misako's father and his party should attend the theater? When does Misako's father want to go?
8. Why do O-hisa and Misako's father have such difficulty tying her kimono sash?
9. How does Kaname explain Misako has changed in Chapter 14?
10. In Chapter 8, what does Takanatsu say will prevent Kaname and Misako from ever divorcing? .
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Tanizaki's use of irony in the novel "Some Prefer Nettles." What are some examples of irony in the novel? How do these examples relate to the novel's themes?
Essay Topic 2
What are some of the archetypes found in the novel? Which female archetype would Misako and O-hisa be? What are the different types of women mentioned, and which does Kaname desire?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of East versus West in the novel "Some Prefer Nettles." What are some examples of Western influences in the novel? What does Kaname think of the Western influences? Which characters symbolize the East and which characters symbolize the West?
This section contains 865 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)