|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Misako say Aso hates in Chapter 6?
2. Who is Aso?
3. What does Kaname think Misako would rather do than attend the show in Chapter 1?
4. What does Takanatsu urge Kaname to do in Chapter 4?
5. What breed of dog does Takanatsu bring for Hiroshi?
Short Essay Questions
1. What have Misako and Aso decided together that Aso need not promise her?
2. What does Takanatsu let Misako look at in his suitcase? What jokes does Takanatsu make to Misako, which she reacts to in seriousness?
3. Why does Misako think communication is improved with Kaname when Takanatsu mediates?
4. Why is Misako glad that Takanatsu is taking Hiroshi to Tokyo for a few days?
5. What does Kaname think about the female puppet in the show? Who does the puppet remind him of and why?
6. What does Misako note about Peony's behavior when Peony and Kaname meet her at the train station? How does this relate to Kaname?
7. What holiday does Misako think about in Chapter 6? What does she wonder about this day?
8. What sort of woman does Kaname tell Takanatsu he is looking for? What does Takanatsu joke about Kaname's post-divorce life?
9. In Chapter 5, what does Kaname realize he has been looking for during his entire marriage?
10. What does Takanatsu think of Misako's plan to divorce Kaname and marry Aso?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of dolls in the novel "Some Prefer Nettles." What are some examples of dolls in the novel? What comparison does Kaname make between the dolls and his real life?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of East versus West in the novel "Some Prefer Nettles." What are some examples of Western influences in the novel? What does Kaname think of the Western influences? Which characters symbolize the East and which characters symbolize the West?
Essay Topic 3
What are some of the archetypes found in the novel? Which female archetype would Misako and O-hisa be? What are the different types of women mentioned, and which does Kaname desire?
This section contains 841 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)