|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Kaname and Misako treat each other at home?
2. What do Misako and Takanatsu joke about Lindy?
3. Why was Takanatsu originally told about Kaname and Misako's marital problems?
4. What is the name of the dog Takanatsu brings for Hiroshi?
5. In Chapter 5, what does Kaname say he encouraged Misako to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 3, what is Kaname moved by in the puppet show? What does he think the show perfectly conveys?
2. In Chapter 7, what does Misako think will happen to her after her divorce becomes public knowledge?
3. What holiday does Misako think about in Chapter 6? What does she wonder about this day?
4. How did Takanatsu inform his wife he wanted a divorce?
5. How does Kaname think Osakans are different from Tokyoites?
6. What is at risk for Misako when she and Kaname divorce?
7. In Chapter 5, what does Kaname realize he has been looking for during his entire marriage?
8. What does Takanatsu encourage Kaname to do in Chapter 4?
9. What sort of woman does Kaname tell Takanatsu he is looking for? What does Takanatsu joke about Kaname's post-divorce life?
10. Why does Misako think communication is improved with Kaname when Takanatsu mediates?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of marriage in the novel "Some Prefer Nettles." What problems are Kaname and Misako dealing with in their marriage? What does Kaname think of marriage in general? What does Misako think of marriage in general?
Essay Topic 2
What are some of the archetypes found in the novel? Which female archetype would Misako and O-hisa be? What are the different types of women mentioned, and which does Kaname desire?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motif of adultery in the novel "Some Prefer Nettles." What are some examples of adultery in the novel? Describe Kaname's adulterous relationship with Louise. Describe Misako's adulterous relationship with Aso. How do these relationships affect the marriage between Kaname and Misako?
This section contains 831 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)