|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Misako describe marriage?
2. What does Misako say she is incapable of when she is alone with her husband?
3. What has Aso not promised Misako?
4. What does Takanatsu say about the different types of women in Chapter 5?
5. What does Misako wonder about in regards to the upcoming holiday?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the puppet theater in Chapter 11.
2. What popular tradition among stylish gentlemen is explained in Chapter 9?
3. What does Kaname look forward to seeing when he visits his father-in-law in Chapter 9? Why does Misako's father play the samisen with his eyes closed?
4. What does Kaname imagine about O-hisa at the end of Chapter 10?
5. Why does Misako think communication is improved with Kaname when Takanatsu mediates?
6. What does Kaname think about as he tries to fall asleep in Chapter 9?
7. What sort of woman does Kaname tell Takanatsu he is looking for? What does Takanatsu joke about Kaname's post-divorce life?
8. In Chapter 8, what does Takanatsu say will prevent Kaname and Misako from ever divorcing? .
9. When does the hotel manager suggest Misako's father and his party should attend the theater? When does Misako's father want to go?
10. What memory does Kaname recall as he is listening to the samisen music? Why does he think this memory is significant?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of adultery in the novel "Some Prefer Nettles." What are some examples of adultery in the novel? Describe Kaname's adulterous relationship with Louise. Describe Misako's adulterous relationship with Aso. How do these relationships affect the marriage between Kaname and Misako?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and interpret at least three of the secondary characters of the novel. What sort of relationships do these characters have with Kaname? Do they have a significant role in the novel? Why or why not? Do these characters influence Kaname's decision to divorce his wife?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the conclusion of the novel "Some Prefer Nettles." How does the novel conclude? Is it a happy ending for Kaname? Why or why not? Is the ending believable? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,538 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)