|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Takanatsu say about the different types of women in Chapter 5?
2. What does Takanatsu think Kaname should tell Hiroshi about his parents' marriage?
3. Why does Misako get up early on most days?
4. Why does Kaname think he should attend the show in Chapter 1?
5. What do Kaname and Takanatsu agree on in reference to Kaname's and Misako's personalities?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Kaname suspect Misako would rather do instead of attending the puppet theater?
2. What does Hiroshi worry about the trip Takanatsu invites him on to Tokyo?
3. Why is Misako glad that Takanatsu is taking Hiroshi to Tokyo for a few days?
4. What sort of woman does Kaname tell Takanatsu he is looking for? What does Takanatsu joke about Kaname's post-divorce life?
5. In Chapter 3, what is Kaname moved by in the puppet show? What does he think the show perfectly conveys?
6. What does Kaname think about the female puppet in the show? Who does the puppet remind him of and why?
7. What does Takanatsu encourage Kaname to do in Chapter 4?
8. How did Takanatsu inform his wife he wanted a divorce?
9. In Chapter 5, what personality trait do Kaname and Takanatsu acknowledge that Kaname and Misako share?
10. In chapter 3, what does Kaname consider he has always hated? What does Kaname admit Osaka reminds him of?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What struggles does Kaname face throughout the novel? What are the causes of these struggles? How does he overcome them?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of traditional versus modernity in the novel "Some Prefer Nettles." What are some examples of the traditional way or life in the novel? What are some examples of the modern way of life? What does Kaname think of traditional living and modern living?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of divorce in the novel "Some Prefer Nettles." Why do Kaname and Misako want to get a divorce? What is making the decision hard to make? How was divorce viewed by Japanese culture in the 1950's?
This section contains 863 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)