|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Hiroshi amuse his father and Takanatsu in Chapter 4?
2. Why is Takanatsu regarded as an authority on divorce?
3. What does Misako avoid as she helps Kaname dress for the show?
4. What do Kaname and Takanatsu agree on in reference to Kaname's and Misako's personalities?
5. What holiday does Misako take mental note of in Chapter 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is at risk for Misako when she and Kaname divorce?
2. What does Kaname think about the female puppet in the show? Who does the puppet remind him of and why?
3. In Chapter 5, why does Kaname say he wants to get a divorce at a particular time of the year?
4. Why does Kaname wish Misako was a loose woman?
5. In Chapter 5, what does Kaname realize he has been looking for during his entire marriage?
6. How did Takanatsu inform his wife he wanted a divorce?
7. How does Misako feel at the beginning of Chapter 6?
8. How does Kaname think Osakans are different from Tokyoites?
9. What have Misako and Aso decided together that Aso need not promise her?
10. In Chapter 5, what personality trait do Kaname and Takanatsu acknowledge that Kaname and Misako share?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of divorce in the novel "Some Prefer Nettles." Why do Kaname and Misako want to get a divorce? What is making the decision hard to make? How was divorce viewed by Japanese culture in the 1950's?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the relationship between Kaname and Misako. Why are they considering divorce? How do they treat each other? What problems are they struggling with in their marriage?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and interpret Kaname's epiphany. What does he finally come to realize? What events or moments cause him to reach this realization? How might his epiphany change his life?
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)