|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Kaname think he should attend the show in Chapter 1?
2. Why does Misako follow Takanatsu to his room in Chapter 7?
3. How does Takanatsu suggest Hiroshi exercise the dog?
4. What is the name of Kaname and Misako's son?
5. In Chapter 1, on what grounds does Misako say she will attend the show?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Kaname think about the female puppet in the show? Who does the puppet remind him of and why?
2. What sort of woman does Kaname tell Takanatsu he is looking for? What does Takanatsu joke about Kaname's post-divorce life?
3. How does Kaname compare the portrayal of women in Hollywood films to their portrayal in Japanese art from the Edo period?
4. In Chapter 7, what does Misako think will happen to her after her divorce becomes public knowledge?
5. What does Kaname suspect Misako would rather do instead of attending the puppet theater?
6. What have Misako and Aso decided together that Aso need not promise her?
7. In Chapter 5, what does Kaname realize he has been looking for during his entire marriage?
8. What does Kaname think about on the train ride to the puppet theater?
9. Why does Misako think communication is improved with Kaname when Takanatsu mediates?
10. Who is O-hisa? What does Misako think of O-hisa?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Tanizaki's use of metaphor in the novel "Some Prefer Nettles." What are some examples of metaphor in the novel? How do these metaphors relate to the novel's themes?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the conclusion of the novel "Some Prefer Nettles." How does the novel conclude? Is it a happy ending for Kaname? Why or why not? Is the ending believable? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and interpret at least three of the secondary characters of the novel. What sort of relationships do these characters have with Kaname? Do they have a significant role in the novel? Why or why not? Do these characters influence Kaname's decision to divorce his wife?
This section contains 833 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)