|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has Aso not promised Misako?
2. What breed is Kaname's dog?
3. What style does the music and theater of Osaka follow?
4. Why does Takanatsu joke that Kaname will ruin his second marriage?
5. Why does Kaname think he should attend the show in Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Misako feel at the beginning of Chapter 6?
2. How did Takanatsu inform his wife he wanted a divorce?
3. What sort of woman does Kaname tell Takanatsu he is looking for? What does Takanatsu joke about Kaname's post-divorce life?
4. What does Takanatsu encourage Kaname to do in Chapter 4?
5. Why does Kaname wish Misako was a loose woman?
6. What does Kaname think about the female puppet in the show? Who does the puppet remind him of and why?
7. In Chapter 3, what is Kaname moved by in the puppet show? What does he think the show perfectly conveys?
8. What does Takanatsu think of Misako's plan to divorce Kaname and marry Aso?
9. In Chapter 7, what does Misako think will happen to her after her divorce becomes public knowledge?
10. What does Takanatsu let Misako look at in his suitcase? What jokes does Takanatsu make to Misako, which she reacts to in seriousness?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What struggles does Kaname face throughout the novel? What are the causes of these struggles? How does he overcome them?
Essay Topic 2
What are some of the archetypes found in the novel? Which female archetype would Misako and O-hisa be? What are the different types of women mentioned, and which does Kaname desire?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the relationship between Kaname and Misako. Why are they considering divorce? How do they treat each other? What problems are they struggling with in their marriage?
This section contains 783 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)