|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Misako wonder about in regards to the upcoming holiday?
2. Why do Misako and Takanatsu return downstairs in Chapter 6?
3. If Kaname and Misako act carelessly, what might happen when they divorce?
4. Why is Hiroshi out of school in Chapter 4?
5. Worried about going with Takanatsu, what excuse does Hiroshi use to excuse himself from the trip?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 8, what does Takanatsu say will prevent Kaname and Misako from ever divorcing? .
2. What does Takanatsu think of Misako's plan to divorce Kaname and marry Aso?
3. What does Takanatsu advise Hiroshi about getting his two dogs to be friends?
4. What does Misako notice about her relationship with Kaname when Takanatsu is around? To what does she attribute this difference?
5. What does Takanatsu let Misako look at in his suitcase? What jokes does Takanatsu make to Misako, which she reacts to in seriousness?
6. Why do O-hisa and Misako's father have such difficulty tying her kimono sash?
7. What does Kaname note about the village he is in in Chapter 10?
8. What is at risk for Misako when she and Kaname divorce?
9. Why is Kaname conflicted about going to the puppet theater with his father-in-law?
10. In Chapter 5, what personality trait do Kaname and Takanatsu acknowledge that Kaname and Misako share?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of marriage in the novel "Some Prefer Nettles." What problems are Kaname and Misako dealing with in their marriage? What does Kaname think of marriage in general? What does Misako think of marriage in general?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of divorce in the novel "Some Prefer Nettles." Why do Kaname and Misako want to get a divorce? What is making the decision hard to make? How was divorce viewed by Japanese culture in the 1950's?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze Tanizaki's use of symbolism in the novel "Some Prefer Nettles." What are some examples of symbolism in the novel? What do these symbols represent?
This section contains 1,479 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)