|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 1, on what grounds does Misako say she will attend the show?
2. In Chapter 5, what does Kaname realize he has been looking for for his entire marriage?
3. Where does Aso live?
4. What does Takanatsu urge Kaname to do in Chapter 4?
5. What is the name of the dog Takanatsu brings for Hiroshi?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Kaname think Osakans are different from Tokyoites?
2. What sort of woman does Kaname tell Takanatsu he is looking for? What does Takanatsu joke about Kaname's post-divorce life?
3. What does Misako note about Peony's behavior when Peony and Kaname meet her at the train station? How does this relate to Kaname?
4. What does Hiroshi worry about the trip Takanatsu invites him on to Tokyo?
5. In Chapter 7, what does Misako think will happen to her after her divorce becomes public knowledge?
6. How does Kaname compare the portrayal of women in Hollywood films to their portrayal in Japanese art from the Edo period?
7. In Chapter 3, what is Kaname moved by in the puppet show? What does he think the show perfectly conveys?
8. Why is Misako glad that Takanatsu is taking Hiroshi to Tokyo for a few days?
9. Who is Takanatsu? What does Takanatsu bring Hiroshi as a present?
10. What does Kaname think about the female puppet in the show? Who does the puppet remind him of and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of fantasy versus reality in the novel "Some Prefer Nettles." What are some of the fantasies that Kaname imagines throughout the novel? Why might he have these fantasies? How does his real life compare to his fantasies?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of marriage in the novel "Some Prefer Nettles." What problems are Kaname and Misako dealing with in their marriage? What does Kaname think of marriage in general? What does Misako think of marriage in general?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Tanizaki's use of irony in the novel "Some Prefer Nettles." What are some examples of irony in the novel? How do these examples relate to the novel's themes?
This section contains 824 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)