|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Misako tell Takanatsu that she is in Chapter 7?
2. What did Kaname's father do for a living?
3. What holiday does Misako take mental note of in Chapter 6?
4. What does Takanatsu urge Kaname to do in Chapter 4?
5. How does Misako expect people will view Kaname after their divorce?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 3, what is Kaname moved by in the puppet show? What does he think the show perfectly conveys?
2. In Chapter 5, what personality trait do Kaname and Takanatsu acknowledge that Kaname and Misako share?
3. What does Hiroshi worry about the trip Takanatsu invites him on to Tokyo?
4. Why is Kaname conflicted about going to the puppet theater with his father-in-law?
5. What does Takanatsu let Misako look at in his suitcase? What jokes does Takanatsu make to Misako, which she reacts to in seriousness?
6. What does Kaname think about the female puppet in the show? Who does the puppet remind him of and why?
7. What does Misako notice about her relationship with Kaname when Takanatsu is around? To what does she attribute this difference?
8. Why does Kaname wish Misako was a loose woman?
9. What holiday does Misako think about in Chapter 6? What does she wonder about this day?
10. Who is O-hisa? What does Misako think of O-hisa?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and interpret at least three of the secondary characters of the novel. What sort of relationships do these characters have with Kaname? Do they have a significant role in the novel? Why or why not? Do these characters influence Kaname's decision to divorce his wife?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze Tanizaki's use of symbolism in the novel "Some Prefer Nettles." What are some examples of symbolism in the novel? What do these symbols represent?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of fantasy versus reality in the novel "Some Prefer Nettles." What are some of the fantasies that Kaname imagines throughout the novel? Why might he have these fantasies? How does his real life compare to his fantasies?
This section contains 777 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)