|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Kaname and Takanatsu agree on in reference to Kaname's and Misako's personalities?
2. What does Misako tell Takanatsu that she is in Chapter 7?
3. How long has it been since Misako had a good night of sleep?
4. What breed is Kaname's dog?
5. What does Misako wish she didn't have to deal with in regards to the upcoming holiday?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Kaname compare the portrayal of women in Hollywood films to their portrayal in Japanese art from the Edo period?
2. In Chapter 5, what does Kaname realize he has been looking for during his entire marriage?
3. Who is Takanatsu? What does Takanatsu bring Hiroshi as a present?
4. In chapter 3, what does Kaname consider he has always hated? What does Kaname admit Osaka reminds him of?
5. Why does Kaname wish Misako was a loose woman?
6. What does Takanatsu advise Hiroshi about getting his two dogs to be friends?
7. How does Misako feel at the beginning of Chapter 6?
8. What holiday does Misako think about in Chapter 6? What does she wonder about this day?
9. Why is Kaname conflicted about going to the puppet theater with his father-in-law?
10. In Chapter 3, what is Kaname moved by in the puppet show? What does he think the show perfectly conveys?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of choices in the novel "Some Prefer Nettles." What choices is Kaname struggling with? How will these decisions affect his life? What factors are involved in his decision?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and interpret the character Kaname. What are his defining character traits? What role does he have in the novel? Is he an influential character? Why or why not? What major events take place in his life during the narrative? How do these events impact his life?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of fantasy versus reality in the novel "Some Prefer Nettles." What are some of the fantasies that Kaname imagines throughout the novel? Why might he have these fantasies? How does his real life compare to his fantasies?
This section contains 791 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)