|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 5, where do Kaname and Takanatsu go together?
2. In Chapter 3, after the puppet show ends, what does Misako indicate it is a good time to do?
3. What city do Kaname and Misako live in?
4. What does Misako try not to do in the booth at the theater?
5. Why does Misako get up early on most days?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Misako think communication is improved with Kaname when Takanatsu mediates?
2. What sort of woman does Kaname tell Takanatsu he is looking for? What does Takanatsu joke about Kaname's post-divorce life?
3. Why is Kaname conflicted about going to the puppet theater with his father-in-law?
4. Why is Misako glad that Takanatsu is taking Hiroshi to Tokyo for a few days?
5. What does Takanatsu let Misako look at in his suitcase? What jokes does Takanatsu make to Misako, which she reacts to in seriousness?
6. What does Kaname think about the female puppet in the show? Who does the puppet remind him of and why?
7. What does Kaname suspect Misako would rather do instead of attending the puppet theater?
8. What holiday does Misako think about in Chapter 6? What does she wonder about this day?
9. In chapter 3, what does Kaname consider he has always hated? What does Kaname admit Osaka reminds him of?
10. How does Misako feel at the beginning of Chapter 6?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze Tanizaki's use of symbolism in the novel "Some Prefer Nettles." What are some examples of symbolism in the novel? What do these symbols represent?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and interpret Kaname's epiphany. What does he finally come to realize? What events or moments cause him to reach this realization? How might his epiphany change his life?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of divorce in the novel "Some Prefer Nettles." Why do Kaname and Misako want to get a divorce? What is making the decision hard to make? How was divorce viewed by Japanese culture in the 1950's?
This section contains 808 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)