|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Takanatsu offer to do for Kaname in Chapter 5?
2. When news of her divorce comes out, what does Misako expect to be painted as?
3. In Chapter 5, what does Kaname say he encouraged Misako to do?
4. If Kaname and Misako act carelessly, what might happen when they divorce?
5. What is the name of Kaname and Misako's son?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Takanatsu inform his wife he wanted a divorce?
2. What does Takanatsu advise Hiroshi about getting his two dogs to be friends?
3. How does Kaname explain Misako has changed in Chapter 14?
4. In Chapter 8, what does Takanatsu say will prevent Kaname and Misako from ever divorcing? .
5. What does Kaname imagine about O-hisa at the end of Chapter 10?
6. Why does Kaname decide to send a letter to Misako's father to tell him about their divorce? What does Misako's father tell Kaname after he finds out?
7. At the end of Chapter 14, what does Kaname realize he wants?
8. What memory does Kaname recall as he is listening to the samisen music? Why does he think this memory is significant?
9. What does Takanatsu encourage Kaname to do in Chapter 4?
10. What establishment does Kaname go to when he reaches Kobe? Why does Kaname like to go to this place?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of East versus West in the novel "Some Prefer Nettles." What are some examples of Western influences in the novel? What does Kaname think of the Western influences? Which characters symbolize the East and which characters symbolize the West?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of traditional versus modernity in the novel "Some Prefer Nettles." What are some examples of the traditional way or life in the novel? What are some examples of the modern way of life? What does Kaname think of traditional living and modern living?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Tanizaki's use of contrast in the novel "Some Prefer Nettles." What are some examples of contrast? How do these examples relate to the themes of the novel?
This section contains 1,494 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)