|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Misako tell Takanatsu that she is in Chapter 7?
2. Why do Misako and Takanatsu return downstairs in Chapter 6?
3. Why does Misako get up early on most days?
4. How does Misako describe marriage?
5. What holiday does Misako take mental note of in Chapter 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 5, what personality trait do Kaname and Takanatsu acknowledge that Kaname and Misako share?
2. Who is O-hisa? What does Misako think of O-hisa?
3. What sort of woman does Kaname tell Takanatsu he is looking for? What does Takanatsu joke about Kaname's post-divorce life?
4. Who is Takanatsu? What does Takanatsu bring Hiroshi as a present?
5. Why is Misako glad that Takanatsu is taking Hiroshi to Tokyo for a few days?
6. How does Kaname think Osakans are different from Tokyoites?
7. What does Kaname suspect Misako would rather do instead of attending the puppet theater?
8. What is at risk for Misako when she and Kaname divorce?
9. In Chapter 5, what does Kaname realize he has been looking for during his entire marriage?
10. How does Misako feel at the beginning of Chapter 6?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of traditional versus modernity in the novel "Some Prefer Nettles." What are some examples of the traditional way or life in the novel? What are some examples of the modern way of life? What does Kaname think of traditional living and modern living?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze Tanizaki's use of symbolism in the novel "Some Prefer Nettles." What are some examples of symbolism in the novel? What do these symbols represent?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and interpret at least three of the secondary characters of the novel. What sort of relationships do these characters have with Kaname? Do they have a significant role in the novel? Why or why not? Do these characters influence Kaname's decision to divorce his wife?
This section contains 746 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)