|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Takanatsu?
2. In Chapter 6, what time does Misako wake up in the morning?
3. What does Takanatsu say about the different types of women in Chapter 5?
4. How long has it been since Misako had a good night of sleep?
5. What do Misako and Takanatsu joke about Lindy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What have Misako and Aso decided together that Aso need not promise her?
2. What does Takanatsu think of Misako's plan to divorce Kaname and marry Aso?
3. Why does Misako think communication is improved with Kaname when Takanatsu mediates?
4. In Chapter 5, what personality trait do Kaname and Takanatsu acknowledge that Kaname and Misako share?
5. What does Kaname think about the female puppet in the show? Who does the puppet remind him of and why?
6. What does Misako note about Peony's behavior when Peony and Kaname meet her at the train station? How does this relate to Kaname?
7. What sort of woman does Kaname tell Takanatsu he is looking for? What does Takanatsu joke about Kaname's post-divorce life?
8. Who is O-hisa? What does Misako think of O-hisa?
9. What does Misako notice about her relationship with Kaname when Takanatsu is around? To what does she attribute this difference?
10. What does Takanatsu let Misako look at in his suitcase? What jokes does Takanatsu make to Misako, which she reacts to in seriousness?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of dolls in the novel "Some Prefer Nettles." What are some examples of dolls in the novel? What comparison does Kaname make between the dolls and his real life?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and interpret the relationship between Misako and Aso. How did they meet? What does Misako think of Aso? What does Aso think of Misako? What does Kaname think of Aso? What is the status of Misako and Aso's relationship by the end of the novel? Will they marry? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of traditional versus modernity in the novel "Some Prefer Nettles." What are some examples of the traditional way or life in the novel? What are some examples of the modern way of life? What does Kaname think of traditional living and modern living?
This section contains 854 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)