|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Takanatsu live?
2. What might make Misako's boyfriend unwilling to marry her?
3. Why is Misako happy Takanatsu is taking Hiroshi away for a few days?
4. What does Misako comment Kaname always likes in Chapter 6?
5. What is the name of Kaname and Misako's son?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Takanatsu let Misako look at in his suitcase? What jokes does Takanatsu make to Misako, which she reacts to in seriousness?
2. How does Misako feel at the beginning of Chapter 6?
3. What does Takanatsu advise Hiroshi about getting his two dogs to be friends?
4. In Chapter 5, what personality trait do Kaname and Takanatsu acknowledge that Kaname and Misako share?
5. What sort of woman does Kaname tell Takanatsu he is looking for? What does Takanatsu joke about Kaname's post-divorce life?
6. Why is Kaname conflicted about going to the puppet theater with his father-in-law?
7. What does Misako notice about her relationship with Kaname when Takanatsu is around? To what does she attribute this difference?
8. What does Kaname suspect Misako would rather do instead of attending the puppet theater?
9. Why does Misako think communication is improved with Kaname when Takanatsu mediates?
10. In Chapter 3, what is Kaname moved by in the puppet show? What does he think the show perfectly conveys?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of East versus West in the novel "Some Prefer Nettles." What are some examples of Western influences in the novel? What does Kaname think of the Western influences? Which characters symbolize the East and which characters symbolize the West?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and interpret the relationship between Misako and Aso. How did they meet? What does Misako think of Aso? What does Aso think of Misako? What does Kaname think of Aso? What is the status of Misako and Aso's relationship by the end of the novel? Will they marry? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Tanizaki's use of irony in the novel "Some Prefer Nettles." What are some examples of irony in the novel? How do these examples relate to the novel's themes?
This section contains 838 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)