|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Misako and Takanatsu joke Lindy might catch a disease by doing?
2. Why does Kaname think Misako is in a hurry to get home after the puppet show?
3. What do Misako and Takanatsu joke about Lindy?
4. Where does Takanatsu live?
5. What does Misako expect to happen when news of her divorce comes out?
Short Essay Questions
1. What sort of woman does Kaname tell Takanatsu he is looking for? What does Takanatsu joke about Kaname's post-divorce life?
2. What does Misako note about Peony's behavior when Peony and Kaname meet her at the train station? How does this relate to Kaname?
3. What does Kaname think about on the train ride to the puppet theater?
4. What does Takanatsu encourage Kaname to do in Chapter 4?
5. In Chapter 3, what is Kaname moved by in the puppet show? What does he think the show perfectly conveys?
6. Who is O-hisa? What does Misako think of O-hisa?
7. What does Takanatsu advise Hiroshi about getting his two dogs to be friends?
8. In chapter 3, what does Kaname consider he has always hated? What does Kaname admit Osaka reminds him of?
9. In Chapter 5, what personality trait do Kaname and Takanatsu acknowledge that Kaname and Misako share?
10. Why does Kaname wish Misako was a loose woman?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze Tanizaki's use of symbolism in the novel "Some Prefer Nettles." What are some examples of symbolism in the novel? What do these symbols represent?
Essay Topic 2
What struggles does Kaname face throughout the novel? What are the causes of these struggles? How does he overcome them?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the relationship between Kaname and Misako. Why are they considering divorce? How do they treat each other? What problems are they struggling with in their marriage?
This section contains 796 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)