|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Kaname say he and Misako cannot find in one another?
2. Who is Takanatsu?
3. What is the name of Kaname's dog?
4. What does Misako avoid as she helps Kaname dress for the show?
5. Why does Takanatsu joke that Kaname will ruin his second marriage?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Takanatsu encourage Kaname to do in Chapter 4?
2. In Chapter 7, what does Misako think will happen to her after her divorce becomes public knowledge?
3. In Chapter 5, why does Kaname say he wants to get a divorce at a particular time of the year?
4. What holiday does Misako think about in Chapter 6? What does she wonder about this day?
5. What does Takanatsu let Misako look at in his suitcase? What jokes does Takanatsu make to Misako, which she reacts to in seriousness?
6. What does Kaname think about on the train ride to the puppet theater?
7. What does Takanatsu advise Hiroshi about getting his two dogs to be friends?
8. In Chapter 3, what is Kaname moved by in the puppet show? What does he think the show perfectly conveys?
9. What sort of woman does Kaname tell Takanatsu he is looking for? What does Takanatsu joke about Kaname's post-divorce life?
10. Why is Kaname conflicted about going to the puppet theater with his father-in-law?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Tanizaki's use of metaphor in the novel "Some Prefer Nettles." What are some examples of metaphor in the novel? How do these metaphors relate to the novel's themes?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of traditional versus modernity in the novel "Some Prefer Nettles." What are some examples of the traditional way or life in the novel? What are some examples of the modern way of life? What does Kaname think of traditional living and modern living?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of marriage in the novel "Some Prefer Nettles." What problems are Kaname and Misako dealing with in their marriage? What does Kaname think of marriage in general? What does Misako think of marriage in general?
This section contains 852 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)