|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What grade is Kaname and Misako's son in?
2. What does Misako say she is incapable of when she is alone with her husband?
3. In Chapter 1, on what grounds does Misako say she will attend the show?
4. Why is Misako happy Takanatsu is taking Hiroshi away for a few days?
5. What is the weather like in Chapter 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Takanatsu think of Misako's plan to divorce Kaname and marry Aso?
2. What is at risk for Misako when she and Kaname divorce?
3. At the end of Chapter 12, what makes Kaname think it is unacceptable for him to stay with Misako?
4. Why is Kaname conflicted about going to the puppet theater with his father-in-law?
5. In Chapter 13, what does Kaname find out from the letter from Takanatsu?
6. Why is Misako glad that Takanatsu is taking Hiroshi to Tokyo for a few days?
7. What does Kaname think when he hears Aso will not make Misako any promises?
8. Why does Kaname decide to send a letter to Misako's father to tell him about their divorce? What does Misako's father tell Kaname after he finds out?
9. What does Kaname imagine about O-hisa at the end of Chapter 10?
10. What does Kaname look forward to seeing when he visits his father-in-law in Chapter 9? Why does Misako's father play the samisen with his eyes closed?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of traditional versus modernity in the novel "Some Prefer Nettles." What are some examples of the traditional way or life in the novel? What are some examples of the modern way of life? What does Kaname think of traditional living and modern living?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of East versus West in the novel "Some Prefer Nettles." What are some examples of Western influences in the novel? What does Kaname think of the Western influences? Which characters symbolize the East and which characters symbolize the West?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and interpret at least three of the secondary characters of the novel. What sort of relationships do these characters have with Kaname? Do they have a significant role in the novel? Why or why not? Do these characters influence Kaname's decision to divorce his wife?
This section contains 1,487 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)