|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Worried about going with Takanatsu, what excuse does Hiroshi use to excuse himself from the trip?
2. What city do Kaname and Misako live in?
3. What does Takanatsu urge Kaname to do in Chapter 4?
4. In Chapter 5, where do Kaname and Takanatsu go together?
5. What do Kaname and Takanatsu agree on in reference to Kaname's and Misako's personalities?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Takanatsu? What does Takanatsu bring Hiroshi as a present?
2. How does Misako feel at the beginning of Chapter 6?
3. In chapter 3, what does Kaname consider he has always hated? What does Kaname admit Osaka reminds him of?
4. In Chapter 7, what does Misako think will happen to her after her divorce becomes public knowledge?
5. What does Takanatsu think of Misako's plan to divorce Kaname and marry Aso?
6. In Chapter 3, what is Kaname moved by in the puppet show? What does he think the show perfectly conveys?
7. In Chapter 5, why does Kaname say he wants to get a divorce at a particular time of the year?
8. Who is O-hisa? What does Misako think of O-hisa?
9. What does Misako note about Peony's behavior when Peony and Kaname meet her at the train station? How does this relate to Kaname?
10. Why does Kaname wish Misako was a loose woman?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and interpret at least three of the secondary characters of the novel. What sort of relationships do these characters have with Kaname? Do they have a significant role in the novel? Why or why not? Do these characters influence Kaname's decision to divorce his wife?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of East versus West in the novel "Some Prefer Nettles." What are some examples of Western influences in the novel? What does Kaname think of the Western influences? Which characters symbolize the East and which characters symbolize the West?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the conclusion of the novel "Some Prefer Nettles." How does the novel conclude? Is it a happy ending for Kaname? Why or why not? Is the ending believable? Why or why not?
This section contains 760 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)