|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Aso live?
2. What does Misako expect to happen when news of her divorce comes out?
3. What does Misako avoid as she helps Kaname dress for the show?
4. Where does Takanatsu offer to take Hiroshi for a few days?
5. How does Misako describe dating?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Misako feel at the beginning of Chapter 6?
2. What does Kaname suspect Misako would rather do instead of attending the puppet theater?
3. What does Misako note about Peony's behavior when Peony and Kaname meet her at the train station? How does this relate to Kaname?
4. Who is O-hisa? What does Misako think of O-hisa?
5. What does Takanatsu advise Hiroshi about getting his two dogs to be friends?
6. What does Hiroshi worry about the trip Takanatsu invites him on to Tokyo?
7. How did Takanatsu inform his wife he wanted a divorce?
8. Why is Kaname conflicted about going to the puppet theater with his father-in-law?
9. What does Misako notice about her relationship with Kaname when Takanatsu is around? To what does she attribute this difference?
10. What does Takanatsu think of Misako's plan to divorce Kaname and marry Aso?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of divorce in the novel "Some Prefer Nettles." Why do Kaname and Misako want to get a divorce? What is making the decision hard to make? How was divorce viewed by Japanese culture in the 1950's?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and interpret the character Kaname. What are his defining character traits? What role does he have in the novel? Is he an influential character? Why or why not? What major events take place in his life during the narrative? How do these events impact his life?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of fantasy versus reality in the novel "Some Prefer Nettles." What are some of the fantasies that Kaname imagines throughout the novel? Why might he have these fantasies? How does his real life compare to his fantasies?
This section contains 762 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)