|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What breed of dog does Takanatsu bring for Hiroshi?
2. What does Misako try not to do in the booth at the theater?
3. What is Kaname worried about facing if he gets divorced at the wrong time?
4. What does Takanatsu urge Kaname to do in Chapter 4?
5. How does Misako describe herself when she is with Aso?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Kaname think about the female puppet in the show? Who does the puppet remind him of and why?
2. Why does Kaname wish Misako was a loose woman?
3. Why is Kaname conflicted about going to the puppet theater with his father-in-law?
4. What does Takanatsu encourage Kaname to do in Chapter 4?
5. In Chapter 5, why does Kaname say he wants to get a divorce at a particular time of the year?
6. What is at risk for Misako when she and Kaname divorce?
7. What holiday does Misako think about in Chapter 6? What does she wonder about this day?
8. How did Takanatsu inform his wife he wanted a divorce?
9. What does Kaname think about on the train ride to the puppet theater?
10. How does Kaname think Osakans are different from Tokyoites?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of fantasy versus reality in the novel "Some Prefer Nettles." What are some of the fantasies that Kaname imagines throughout the novel? Why might he have these fantasies? How does his real life compare to his fantasies?
Essay Topic 2
What struggles does Kaname face throughout the novel? What are the causes of these struggles? How does he overcome them?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motif of dolls in the novel "Some Prefer Nettles." What are some examples of dolls in the novel? What comparison does Kaname make between the dolls and his real life?
This section contains 735 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)