|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Kaname acknowledge about his relationship with Misako in Chapter 5?
2. In Chapter 1, on what grounds does Misako say she will attend the show?
3. What does Misako tell Takanatsu that she is in Chapter 7?
4. How does Misako expect people will view Kaname after their divorce?
5. What does Misako try not to do in the booth at the theater?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Kaname compare the portrayal of women in Hollywood films to their portrayal in Japanese art from the Edo period?
2. Why does Kaname wish Misako was a loose woman?
3. What sort of woman does Kaname tell Takanatsu he is looking for? What does Takanatsu joke about Kaname's post-divorce life?
4. What does Takanatsu think of Misako's plan to divorce Kaname and marry Aso?
5. What is at risk for Misako when she and Kaname divorce?
6. Why is Kaname conflicted about going to the puppet theater with his father-in-law?
7. In Chapter 5, what personality trait do Kaname and Takanatsu acknowledge that Kaname and Misako share?
8. How does Kaname think Osakans are different from Tokyoites?
9. What does Kaname think about the female puppet in the show? Who does the puppet remind him of and why?
10. Who is Takanatsu? What does Takanatsu bring Hiroshi as a present?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of dolls in the novel "Some Prefer Nettles." What are some examples of dolls in the novel? What comparison does Kaname make between the dolls and his real life?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the relationship between Kaname and Misako. Why are they considering divorce? How do they treat each other? What problems are they struggling with in their marriage?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motif of adultery in the novel "Some Prefer Nettles." What are some examples of adultery in the novel? Describe Kaname's adulterous relationship with Louise. Describe Misako's adulterous relationship with Aso. How do these relationships affect the marriage between Kaname and Misako?
This section contains 765 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)