|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When news of her divorce comes out, what does Misako expect to be painted as?
2. Why does Takanatsu joke that Kaname will ruin his second marriage?
3. Why does Kaname think Misako is in a hurry to get home after the puppet show?
4. What does Takanatsu say about the different types of women in Chapter 5?
5. What does Misako avoid as she helps Kaname dress for the show?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is O-hisa? What does Misako think of O-hisa?
2. What does Kaname suspect Misako would rather do instead of attending the puppet theater?
3. In Chapter 5, what personality trait do Kaname and Takanatsu acknowledge that Kaname and Misako share?
4. What does Kaname think about on the train ride to the puppet theater?
5. In Chapter 7, what does Misako think will happen to her after her divorce becomes public knowledge?
6. What does Hiroshi worry about the trip Takanatsu invites him on to Tokyo?
7. In Chapter 3, what is Kaname moved by in the puppet show? What does he think the show perfectly conveys?
8. Why does Kaname wish Misako was a loose woman?
9. What sort of woman does Kaname tell Takanatsu he is looking for? What does Takanatsu joke about Kaname's post-divorce life?
10. How did Takanatsu inform his wife he wanted a divorce?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and interpret the relationship between Misako and Aso. How did they meet? What does Misako think of Aso? What does Aso think of Misako? What does Kaname think of Aso? What is the status of Misako and Aso's relationship by the end of the novel? Will they marry? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze Tanizaki's use of symbolism in the novel "Some Prefer Nettles." What are some examples of symbolism in the novel? What do these symbols represent?
Essay Topic 3
What are some of the archetypes found in the novel? Which female archetype would Misako and O-hisa be? What are the different types of women mentioned, and which does Kaname desire?
This section contains 809 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)