|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Louise ask Kaname for before he leaves in Chapter 12?
(a) For a promise that he will return soon.
(b) For him to help out Mrs. Brent.
(c) For a large sum of money.
(d) For his telephone number.
2. What does Kaname find disconcerting about Misako's father's and O-hisa's relationship?
(a) Their lack of affection.
(b) O-hisa's rough treatment of the old man.
(c) Their age gap.
(d) The amount of money Misako's father spends on her.
3. What does Kaname change into on his boat journey?
(a) A Western-style suit.
(b) A pair of sandles O-hisa made for him.
(c) A bathrobe.
(d) A brand new kimono.
4. What excuse does Misako use to prevent Kaname from seeing the letter from Takanatsu?
(a) She can't remember where she put it.
(b) She left it at Aso's house.
(c) She threw it in the garbage.
(d) It contains something Takanatsu wouldn't want Kaname to know.
5. In Chapter 9, what season is it when Kaname accepts an invitation from his father-in-law?
Short Answer Questions
1. What sort of bathroom facilities are provided at the puppet theater?
2. After meeting Aso, what change did Kaname eventually notice in Misako?
3. Why does Kaname have trouble falling asleep in Chapter 9?
4. What does Louise do to make herself more physically appealing?
5. Where does Kaname go to see Misako's father?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Kaname note Western-style buildings are erected in Japan?
2. In Chapter 8, what does Takanatsu say will prevent Kaname and Misako from ever divorcing? .
3. What does Loiuse ask Kaname for before he leaves the brothel?
4. What does Kaname look forward to seeing when he visits his father-in-law in Chapter 9? Why does Misako's father play the samisen with his eyes closed?
5. What does Louise claim about her lineage, and what is the truth? What does Louise do to appeal to Kaname?
6. What does Kaname note about the village he is in in Chapter 10?
7. What has Misako's father done to ensure O-hisa will be taken care of after he dies?
8. In Chapter 13, what does Kaname find out from the letter from Takanatsu?
9. When does the hotel manager suggest Misako's father and his party should attend the theater? When does Misako's father want to go?
10. What establishment does Kaname go to when he reaches Kobe? Why does Kaname like to go to this place?
This section contains 896 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)