|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Misako express a determination to do in the letter from Takanatsu?
(b) Find a job.
(c) Have more children.
(d) Move abroad.
2. What does Kaname decide at the end of the novel?
(a) That he will stay with Misako.
(b) That he will help Louise.
(c) That he wants a divorce.
(d) That he will take a mistress.
3. In Chapter 13, what does Misako wish she had not done?
(a) Held a grudge against Kaname for so long.
(b) Had a child.
(c) Lied to her fahter.
(d) Dated Aso.
4. What happens to the puppeteers as the puppet plays go on in Chapter 11?
(a) They stop the show and walk out.
(b) They get angry with the audience.
(c) They get drunk.
(d) They start to make mistakes.
5. After meeting Aso, what change did Kaname eventually notice in Misako?
(a) She treated Kaname more kindly.
(b) She began to put more effort into her appearance.
(c) She started to stand up for herself.
(d) She made more friends.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Kaname careful to stress when he tells Misako's father about their divorce?
2. What does Kaname find disconcerting about Misako's father's and O-hisa's relationship?
3. Where does Misako's father take her in Chapter 14?
4. What does Kaname admit he has been hoping would happen for years?
5. How did Misako deal with Kaname's neglect?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Kaname look forward to seeing when he visits his father-in-law in Chapter 9? Why does Misako's father play the samisen with his eyes closed?
2. After six months of crying nightly, what did Misako finally admit to Kaname? What did Kaname and Misako agree to after her confession?
3. What has Misako's father done to ensure O-hisa will be taken care of after he dies?
4. Describe the puppet theater in Chapter 11.
5. After assuring Takanatsu that Aso's intentions are honorable, what does Takanatsu assume?
6. How did Japanese puppet shows originate?
7. What does Kaname think about the relationship between his father-in-law and O-hisa in Chapter 9?
8. What popular tradition among stylish gentlemen is explained in Chapter 9?
9. How does Kaname explain Misako has changed in Chapter 14?
10. Why do O-hisa and Misako's father have such difficulty tying her kimono sash?
This section contains 884 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)