|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Takanatsu think about Aso's honesty in Chapter 7?
(a) That it is a lie.
(b) That it shows he is serious about Misako.
(c) That it shows his lack of commitment.
(d) That it is very modern.
2. In Chapter 14, what kind of woman does Kaname admit that he wants?
(a) A living doll.
(b) A madonna.
(c) One like Misako.
(d) One from a hollywood movie.
3. How did Misako deal with Kaname's neglect?
(a) She cried at night.
(b) She had a baby in hopes of improving her marriage.
(c) She did everything she could to please Kaname.
(d) She started seeing other men.
4. When did Kaname begin to withdraw sexually from Misako?
(a) After he found out about Aso.
(b) Five years after they married.
(c) Within a year of marriage.
(d) Immediately after they married.
5. Who does Kaname recall while listening to the music in Chapter 7?
(a) A pretty neighbor girl.
(b) His mother.
(c) O-hisa on their first meeting.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Misako refuse to see her father in Chapter 13?
2. What does Kaname admire in the village?
3. When does the hotel manager suggest Kaname and his hosts should head to the puppet theater?
4. Why are Western-style buildings being put up in some areas of Japan?
5. Why do Kaname and his hosts leave the puppet plays early?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Japanese puppet shows originate?
2. What does Kaname note about the village he is in in Chapter 10?
3. What does Kaname think about as he tries to fall asleep in Chapter 9?
4. In Chapter 8, what does Takanatsu say will prevent Kaname and Misako from ever divorcing? .
5. What does Kaname think about the relationship between his father-in-law and O-hisa in Chapter 9?
6. What memory does Kaname recall as he is listening to the samisen music? Why does he think this memory is significant?
7. How did Hiroshi find out about his parents' separation?
8. In Chapter 13, what does Kaname find out from the letter from Takanatsu?
9. What establishment does Kaname go to when he reaches Kobe? Why does Kaname like to go to this place?
10. What does Loiuse ask Kaname for before he leaves the brothel?
This section contains 884 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)