|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Misako's father send O-hisa to classes?
(a) Because it is common for a woman her age to take lessons.
(b) O-hisa begged him to.
(c) To make it easier for her to find someone new after he dies.
(d) So that she will be more useful around the house.
2. What does Kaname wonder about O-hisa in Chapter 9?
(a) Whether she tires of her lifestyle.
(b) Whether she will ever be a respectable woman.
(c) What her family think of her.
(d) What she truely feels for Misako's father.
3. What are Misako's clothes made of?
4. In Chapter 9, what season is it when Kaname accepts an invitation from his father-in-law?
5. In Chapter 13, what does Misako wish she had not done?
(a) Had a child.
(b) Dated Aso.
(c) Held a grudge against Kaname for so long.
(d) Lied to her fahter.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are Western-style buildings being put up in some areas of Japan?
2. After leaving their room, what does O-hisa want to return for in Chapter 10?
3. What does O-hisa need Misako's father to help her with in Chapter 10?
4. After meeting Aso, what change did Kaname eventually notice in Misako?
5. In Chapter 10, what does Kaname think about the village?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Kaname think when he hears Aso will not make Misako any promises?
2. What has Misako's father done to ensure O-hisa will be taken care of after he dies?
3. How does Kaname explain Misako has changed in Chapter 14?
4. At the end of Chapter 12, what makes Kaname think it is unacceptable for him to stay with Misako?
5. In Chapter 8, what does Kaname recall about the early stages of his marriage's breakdown?
6. What memory does Kaname recall as he is listening to the samisen music? Why does he think this memory is significant?
7. How did Hiroshi find out about his parents' separation?
8. What does Kaname think about the relationship between his father-in-law and O-hisa in Chapter 9?
9. What does Kaname imagine about O-hisa at the end of Chapter 10?
10. What does Kaname note about the village he is in in Chapter 10?
This section contains 900 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)