|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Misako's father stop on his way to the puppet theater?
(a) Book shops.
(b) Antique shops.
(c) A candy shop.
(d) A tavern.
2. What does O-hisa use hot water for in Chapter 10?
(a) To make some tea.
(b) To fix her hair.
(c) To wash her hair pins.
(d) To remove a stain from Misako's father's kimono.
3. What does Kaname admire in the village?
(a) The village's calm and quiet.
(b) The architecture.
(c) The lush, tall trees.
(d) The friendly citizens.
4. How do the people in the puppet theater behave?
(a) They are quiet and attentive.
(b) They pay little attention to what's happening on stage.
(c) They seem bored.
(d) They shout at the action on the stage.
5. After meeting Aso, what change did Kaname eventually notice in Misako?
(a) She made more friends.
(b) She treated Kaname more kindly.
(c) She started to stand up for herself.
(d) She began to put more effort into her appearance.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the audience members drinking during the puppet plays?
2. Why is Mrs. Brent crying when Kaname sees her?
3. How does Kaname think Misako's father treats O-hisa?
4. In Chapter 10, what does Kaname think about the village?
5. Why are Western-style buildings being put up in some areas of Japan?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Kaname think when he hears Aso will not make Misako any promises?
2. Why do O-hisa and Misako's father have such difficulty tying her kimono sash?
3. After assuring Takanatsu that Aso's intentions are honorable, what does Takanatsu assume?
4. In Chapter 13, what does Kaname find out from the letter from Takanatsu?
5. Why does Kaname decide to send a letter to Misako's father to tell him about their divorce? What does Misako's father tell Kaname after he finds out?
6. What popular tradition among stylish gentlemen is explained in Chapter 9?
7. What does Kaname think about as he tries to fall asleep in Chapter 9?
8. What does Louise claim about her lineage, and what is the truth? What does Louise do to appeal to Kaname?
9. When does the hotel manager suggest Misako's father and his party should attend the theater? When does Misako's father want to go?
10. How did Japanese puppet shows originate?
This section contains 869 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)