|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Kaname careful to stress when he tells Misako's father about their divorce?
(a) That both Kaname and Misako are to blame.
(b) That Hiroshi will not suffer.
(c) That Misako is having an affair.
(d) That Kaname never wanted to marry Misako.
2. Where does Misako's father stop on his way to the puppet theater?
(a) A tavern.
(b) Book shops.
(c) Antique shops.
(d) A candy shop.
3. What does Kaname change into on his boat journey?
(a) A brand new kimono.
(b) A pair of sandles O-hisa made for him.
(c) A Western-style suit.
(d) A bathrobe.
4. What sort of bathroom facilities are provided at the puppet theater?
(a) A ditch.
(b) Modern western-style facilities.
(c) Open air buckets.
(d) A row of outhouses.
5. After meeting Aso, what did Misako begin to do again?
(a) Speak to her father.
(b) Cry at night.
(c) Share a bed with Kaname.
(d) Take trips to Tokyo.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does O-hisa do for Misako's father at bed time?
2. Why are Western-style buildings being put up in some areas of Japan?
3. How does Misako's father react to the news of their divorce?
4. How did Misako deal with Kaname's neglect?
5. What is the Japanese word for the sash O-hisa wears?
Short Essay Questions
1. What has Misako's father done to ensure O-hisa will be taken care of after he dies?
2. What does Kaname think when he hears Aso will not make Misako any promises?
3. What does Kaname think about as he tries to fall asleep in Chapter 9?
4. What does Loiuse ask Kaname for before he leaves the brothel?
5. At the end of Chapter 12, what makes Kaname think it is unacceptable for him to stay with Misako?
6. What does Kaname look forward to seeing when he visits his father-in-law in Chapter 9? Why does Misako's father play the samisen with his eyes closed?
7. How did Hiroshi find out about his parents' separation?
8. In Chapter 13, what does Kaname find out from the letter from Takanatsu?
9. Why does Kaname decide to send a letter to Misako's father to tell him about their divorce? What does Misako's father tell Kaname after he finds out?
10. Why do O-hisa and Misako's father have such difficulty tying her kimono sash?
This section contains 903 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)