|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Kaname and his hosts spend the evening doing after leaving the puppet theater?
(a) Telling each other stories.
(b) Listening to and playing music.
(c) Playing cards.
(d) Practicing chants.
2. Who does Kaname recall while listening to the music in Chapter 7?
(a) His mother.
(b) A pretty neighbor girl.
(d) O-hisa on their first meeting.
3. After meeting Aso, what change did Kaname eventually notice in Misako?
(a) She treated Kaname more kindly.
(b) She made more friends.
(c) She started to stand up for herself.
(d) She began to put more effort into her appearance.
4. How do the people in the puppet theater behave?
(a) They are quiet and attentive.
(b) They seem bored.
(c) They shout at the action on the stage.
(d) They pay little attention to what's happening on stage.
5. What does Kaname change into on his boat journey?
(a) A Western-style suit.
(b) A brand new kimono.
(c) A pair of sandles O-hisa made for him.
(d) A bathrobe.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does O-hisa do for Misako's father at bed time?
2. Who is the old house Kaname visits in Chapter 12 used for?
3. What does Kaname decide at the end of the novel?
4. What is the Japanese word for the sash O-hisa wears?
5. In Chapter 10, what does Kaname think about the village?
Short Essay Questions
1. What memory does Kaname recall as he is listening to the samisen music? Why does he think this memory is significant?
2. What does Loiuse ask Kaname for before he leaves the brothel?
3. What did Kaname notice about Misako after she met Aso?
4. Why do O-hisa and Misako's father have such difficulty tying her kimono sash?
5. What does Kaname look forward to seeing when he visits his father-in-law in Chapter 9? Why does Misako's father play the samisen with his eyes closed?
6. How did Hiroshi find out about his parents' separation?
7. Where does Kaname note Western-style buildings are erected in Japan?
8. How did Japanese puppet shows originate?
9. After six months of crying nightly, what did Misako finally admit to Kaname? What did Kaname and Misako agree to after her confession?
10. What does Misako's father explain Kaname did by allowing Misako to see Aso?
This section contains 861 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)