|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does O-hisa put a lot of time into getting ready for going to the theater in Chapter 10?
(a) She doesn't want to lose Misako's father to another woman.
(b) Her appearance is important to Misako's father.
(c) O-hisa wants to impress the theater goers.
(d) She hot weather is making her makeup run.
2. What does O-hisa say she would rather be doing than going to the theater?
(b) Gathering vegetables in the countryside.
(c) Visiting a temple.
(d) Going to see a movie.
3. What is the Japanese word for the sash O-hisa wears?
4. What does Misako's father apologize to Kaname for?
(a) Insisting Kaname and Misako to marry in the first place.
(b) Not realizing something was wrong.
(c) Being a tough father-in-law.
(d) Misako's behavior.
5. What sort of bathroom facilities are provided at the puppet theater?
(a) A ditch.
(b) A row of outhouses.
(c) Open air buckets.
(d) Modern western-style facilities.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of people are said to have a popular tradition of going on pilgrimage in Chapter 7?
2. How often does Kaname visit Louise?
3. Where did Misako meet Aso?
4. In Chapter 9, what season is it when Kaname accepts an invitation from his father-in-law?
5. Who does Kaname imagine O-hisa as at the end of Chapter 10?
Short Essay Questions
1. At the end of Chapter 14, what does Kaname realize he wants?
2. At the end of Chapter 12, what makes Kaname think it is unacceptable for him to stay with Misako?
3. How did Hiroshi find out about his parents' separation?
4. What popular tradition among stylish gentlemen is explained in Chapter 9?
5. How did Japanese puppet shows originate?
6. In Chapter 13, what does Kaname find out from the letter from Takanatsu?
7. After six months of crying nightly, what did Misako finally admit to Kaname? What did Kaname and Misako agree to after her confession?
8. Why does Kaname decide to send a letter to Misako's father to tell him about their divorce? What does Misako's father tell Kaname after he finds out?
9. What establishment does Kaname go to when he reaches Kobe? Why does Kaname like to go to this place?
10. When does the hotel manager suggest Misako's father and his party should attend the theater? When does Misako's father want to go?
This section contains 868 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)