|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Mrs. Brent crying when Kaname sees her?
(a) She is relieved to see Kaname.
(b) She has argued with her husband.
(c) Her brother has died.
(d) Her business is failing.
2. After meeting Aso, what change did Kaname eventually notice in Misako?
(a) She started to stand up for herself.
(b) She made more friends.
(c) She began to put more effort into her appearance.
(d) She treated Kaname more kindly.
3. Who is the old house Kaname visits in Chapter 12 used for?
(a) A government building.
(b) A clinic.
(c) A library.
(d) A brothel.
4. How does Kaname say he feels about Misako going to Aso?
(a) He is relieved.
(b) He is not angry.
(c) He feels betrayed.
(d) He is surprised.
5. After leaving their room, what does O-hisa want to return for in Chapter 10?
(a) A more comfortable pair of shoes.
(b) A hairpin.
(c) Her parasol.
(d) Her handbag.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Misako's father react to the news of their divorce?
2. Why do Kaname and his hosts leave the puppet plays early?
3. How does Kaname inform Misako's father about their divorce?
4. What does Misako's father like O-hisa to dress in?
5. What sort of bathroom facilities are provided at the puppet theater?
Short Essay Questions
1. What memory does Kaname recall as he is listening to the samisen music? Why does he think this memory is significant?
2. In Chapter 8, what does Takanatsu say will prevent Kaname and Misako from ever divorcing? .
3. Where does Kaname note Western-style buildings are erected in Japan?
4. What establishment does Kaname go to when he reaches Kobe? Why does Kaname like to go to this place?
5. What does Misako's father explain Kaname did by allowing Misako to see Aso?
6. What did Kaname notice about Misako after she met Aso?
7. What has Misako's father done to ensure O-hisa will be taken care of after he dies?
8. What does Louise claim about her lineage, and what is the truth? What does Louise do to appeal to Kaname?
9. What does Kaname think about the relationship between his father-in-law and O-hisa in Chapter 9?
10. What does Kaname note about the village he is in in Chapter 10?
This section contains 855 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)