|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Kaname say has caused Misako to develop a hard, bitter edge?
(a) His treatment of her.
(b) Her relationship with O-hisa.
(c) Having to do what other people tell her to.
(d) Trying to protect herself.
2. Why does Misako's father send O-hisa to classes?
(a) Because it is common for a woman her age to take lessons.
(b) To make it easier for her to find someone new after he dies.
(c) O-hisa begged him to.
(d) So that she will be more useful around the house.
3. What sort of bathroom facilities are provided at the puppet theater?
(a) Modern western-style facilities.
(b) A ditch.
(c) A row of outhouses.
(d) Open air buckets.
4. What does Kaname admire in the village?
(a) The architecture.
(b) The friendly citizens.
(c) The lush, tall trees.
(d) The village's calm and quiet.
5. Why does Misako refuse to see her father in Chapter 13?
(a) She doesn't want to argue with O-hisa.
(b) She doesn't want to be lectured.
(c) She feels ashamed.
(d) She thinks Kaname should go instead.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Misako meet Aso?
2. What does Misako express a determination to do in the letter from Takanatsu?
3. Who were the originators of Japanese puppets?
4. What does O-hisa use hot water for in Chapter 10?
5. What insect pesters Kaname when he is in the garden in Chapter 14?
Short Essay Questions
1. After six months of crying nightly, what did Misako finally admit to Kaname? What did Kaname and Misako agree to after her confession?
2. What does Loiuse ask Kaname for before he leaves the brothel?
3. Where does Kaname note Western-style buildings are erected in Japan?
4. When does the hotel manager suggest Misako's father and his party should attend the theater? When does Misako's father want to go?
5. What does Kaname think about as he tries to fall asleep in Chapter 9?
6. Describe the puppet theater in Chapter 11.
7. Why do O-hisa and Misako's father have such difficulty tying her kimono sash?
8. At the end of Chapter 12, what makes Kaname think it is unacceptable for him to stay with Misako?
9. In Chapter 8, what does Takanatsu say will prevent Kaname and Misako from ever divorcing? .
10. At the end of Chapter 14, what does Kaname realize he wants?
This section contains 882 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)