|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do Kaname and his hosts leave the puppet plays early?
(a) Misako's father begins to feel ill.
(b) The theater is too hot and crowded.
(c) The show becomes uninteresting.
(d) To prepare for the next day's pilgrimage.
2. What does Kaname do while Misako and her father are out in Chapter 14?
(a) He takes a bath.
(b) Writes a letter to Hiroshi.
(c) Plays with the dog.
(d) Naps on the porch.
3. In Chapter 10, what does Kaname think about the village?
(a) That he would like to live there.
(b) That it reminds him of his hometown.
(c) That it is like a place from another era.
(d) That it is more modern than some parts of Osaka.
4. What are the audience members drinking during the puppet plays?
(a) Barley tea.
5. How does Takanatsu feel about Misako's situation with Aso in Chapter 7?
(a) He is worried.
(b) He is relieved.
(c) He is confused.
(d) He is saddened.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is unique about the puppet theatre Kaname intends to visit in Chapter 9?
2. Who were the originators of Japanese puppets?
3. Why does Misako's father send O-hisa to classes?
4. What is the Japanese word for the sash O-hisa wears?
5. What does Misako express a determination to do in the letter from Takanatsu?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Japanese puppet shows originate?
2. Describe the puppet theater in Chapter 11.
3. What does Loiuse ask Kaname for before he leaves the brothel?
4. When does the hotel manager suggest Misako's father and his party should attend the theater? When does Misako's father want to go?
5. How does Kaname explain Misako has changed in Chapter 14?
6. How did Hiroshi find out about his parents' separation?
7. In Chapter 10, what does O-hisa say she would rather be doing than going to see the theater shows?
8. Where does Kaname note Western-style buildings are erected in Japan?
9. What does Kaname think about the relationship between his father-in-law and O-hisa in Chapter 9?
10. At the end of Chapter 14, what does Kaname realize he wants?
This section contains 834 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)