|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Louise do to make herself more physically appealing?
(a) She covers her body in white powder.
(b) She wears a wig.
(c) She wears revealing clothes.
(d) She exercises.
2. How long does O-hisa wander around looking for a bathroom?
(a) Forty-five minutes.
(b) Two hours.
(c) An hour.
(d) Ten minutes.
3. What does Takanatsu say will happen if Kaname doesn't make a decision about the divorce?
(a) The divorce will never happen.
(b) Misako will make false accusations against Kaname.
(c) Hiroshi will figure out something is wrong.
(d) Aso will lose interest in Misako.
4. How do the people in the puppet theater behave?
(a) They shout at the action on the stage.
(b) They seem bored.
(c) They pay little attention to what's happening on stage.
(d) They are quiet and attentive.
5. What does Kaname fail to admit when Misako asks him if he has found someone else?
(a) That he has had a mistress for three years.
(b) That he doesn't care if Misako is having an affair.
(c) That he had a child with another woman.
(d) That he sees prostitutes from time to time.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Misako's father like O-hisa to dress in?
2. What does Kaname change into on his boat journey?
3. In Chapter 14, what kind of woman does Kaname admit that he wants?
4. What sort of bathroom facilities are provided at the puppet theater?
5. Who were the originators of Japanese puppets?
Short Essay Questions
1. At the end of Chapter 14, what does Kaname realize he wants?
2. What does Kaname think about the relationship between his father-in-law and O-hisa in Chapter 9?
3. What memory does Kaname recall as he is listening to the samisen music? Why does he think this memory is significant?
4. Why does Kaname decide to send a letter to Misako's father to tell him about their divorce? What does Misako's father tell Kaname after he finds out?
5. What does Kaname think when he hears Aso will not make Misako any promises?
6. What has Misako's father done to ensure O-hisa will be taken care of after he dies?
7. What does Kaname think about as he tries to fall asleep in Chapter 9?
8. What does Misako's father explain Kaname did by allowing Misako to see Aso?
9. When does the hotel manager suggest Misako's father and his party should attend the theater? When does Misako's father want to go?
10. Where does Kaname note Western-style buildings are erected in Japan?
This section contains 950 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)