|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Misako deal with Kaname's neglect?
(a) She started seeing other men.
(b) She had a baby in hopes of improving her marriage.
(c) She cried at night.
(d) She did everything she could to please Kaname.
2. What does Kaname say has caused Misako to develop a hard, bitter edge?
(a) His treatment of her.
(b) Trying to protect herself.
(c) Her relationship with O-hisa.
(d) Having to do what other people tell her to.
3. What are the audience members drinking during the puppet plays?
(d) Barley tea.
4. Why does O-hisa put a lot of time into getting ready for going to the theater in Chapter 10?
(a) Her appearance is important to Misako's father.
(b) She doesn't want to lose Misako's father to another woman.
(c) She hot weather is making her makeup run.
(d) O-hisa wants to impress the theater goers.
5. What does Kaname change into on his boat journey?
(a) A bathrobe.
(b) A Western-style suit.
(c) A pair of sandles O-hisa made for him.
(d) A brand new kimono.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Kaname admit he has been hoping would happen for years?
2. What does Kaname do when he cannot fall asleep in Chapter 9?
3. Why does Takanatsu refuse to mediate between Kaname and Misako any longer in Chapter 8?
4. Why does Misako's father close his eyes while he sings in Chapter 7?
5. What instrument does O-hisa play while Kaname and Misako's father talk?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Kaname think about the relationship between his father-in-law and O-hisa in Chapter 9?
2. In Chapter 10, what does O-hisa say she would rather be doing than going to see the theater shows?
3. What does Kaname imagine about O-hisa at the end of Chapter 10?
4. What has Misako's father done to ensure O-hisa will be taken care of after he dies?
5. What does Kaname note about the village he is in in Chapter 10?
6. What popular tradition among stylish gentlemen is explained in Chapter 9?
7. Why do O-hisa and Misako's father have such difficulty tying her kimono sash?
8. How did Hiroshi find out about his parents' separation?
9. After six months of crying nightly, what did Misako finally admit to Kaname? What did Kaname and Misako agree to after her confession?
10. What does Kaname think about as he tries to fall asleep in Chapter 9?
This section contains 888 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)