|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Kaname think Misako is in a hurry to get home after the puppet show?
(a) Because she is exhausted.
(b) So she can get to the market.
(c) So she can see Aso.
(d) She wants to see their son.
2. How does Misako describe marriage?
(a) As an outdated institution.
(b) As different than anyone expects.
(c) As a sense of security.
(d) As an oppressive ritual.
3. Who is Takanatsu?
(a) Kaname's cousin.
(b) Kaname's co-worker.
(c) Misako's brother.
(d) Hiroshi's schoolmate.
4. What does Misako expect to happen when news of her divorce comes out?
(a) Rumors will spread about her.
(b) She will have to move to another neighborhood.
(c) He father will invite her to live with him.
(d) Hiroshi will turn against her.
5. How is Misako and Kaname's relationship affected when Takanatsu is around?
(a) They easily get angry with each other.
(b) They act just the same as they normally do.
(c) They stop talking to each other.
(d) They have a happier manner with each other.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Misako say Aso hates in Chapter 6?
2. What holiday does Misako take mental note of in Chapter 6?
3. How does Kaname think of Tokyoites in comparison to Osakans?
4. What is Kaname moved by in the next act of the puppet show in Chapter 3?
5. Why do Misako and Takanatsu return downstairs in Chapter 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Takanatsu advise Hiroshi about getting his two dogs to be friends?
2. Why does Kaname wish Misako was a loose woman?
3. How does Kaname compare the portrayal of women in Hollywood films to their portrayal in Japanese art from the Edo period?
4. What does Takanatsu encourage Kaname to do in Chapter 4?
5. In Chapter 5, why does Kaname say he wants to get a divorce at a particular time of the year?
6. What does Misako note about Peony's behavior when Peony and Kaname meet her at the train station? How does this relate to Kaname?
7. In Chapter 5, what personality trait do Kaname and Takanatsu acknowledge that Kaname and Misako share?
8. What holiday does Misako think about in Chapter 6? What does she wonder about this day?
9. What does Hiroshi worry about the trip Takanatsu invites him on to Tokyo?
10. In Chapter 7, what does Misako think will happen to her after her divorce becomes public knowledge?
This section contains 825 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)