|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Takanatsu suggest Hiroshi exercise the dog?
(a) By tying it to his bicycle.
(b) By running to the park with it.
(c) By throwing a ball for it.
(d) By going swimming with it.
2. What decade does "Some Prefer Nettles" take place in?
3. Why is Misako happy Takanatsu is taking Hiroshi away for a few days?
(a) Hiroshi hasn't had much fun lately.
(b) She can find out how well she can cope without Hiroshi.
(c) She wants Hiroshi to experience life in Tokyo.
(d) She wants a few days of quiet.
4. What does Misako comment Kaname always likes in Chapter 6?
(a) Antique things.
(b) Western things.
(c) Things that remind him of childhood.
(d) Something new.
5. What does Kaname think Misako would rather do than attend the show in Chapter 1?
(a) Stay home and relax.
(b) See her boyfriend.
(c) Go shopping.
(d) Work in her garden.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Kaname think he should attend the show in Chapter 1?
2. In Chapter 6, what does Hiroshi imagine Takanatsu telling him on the train?
3. How does Kaname react to the puppet shows?
4. What city do Kaname and Misako live in?
5. How long has it been since Misako had a good night of sleep?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Misako note about Peony's behavior when Peony and Kaname meet her at the train station? How does this relate to Kaname?
2. In Chapter 3, what is Kaname moved by in the puppet show? What does he think the show perfectly conveys?
3. In Chapter 5, what does Kaname realize he has been looking for during his entire marriage?
4. What does Kaname suspect Misako would rather do instead of attending the puppet theater?
5. In Chapter 5, what personality trait do Kaname and Takanatsu acknowledge that Kaname and Misako share?
6. In Chapter 7, what does Misako think will happen to her after her divorce becomes public knowledge?
7. What does Hiroshi worry about the trip Takanatsu invites him on to Tokyo?
8. Why is Misako glad that Takanatsu is taking Hiroshi to Tokyo for a few days?
9. How did Takanatsu inform his wife he wanted a divorce?
10. How does Kaname compare the portrayal of women in Hollywood films to their portrayal in Japanese art from the Edo period?
This section contains 817 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)