|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What style does the music and theater of Osaka follow?
(a) The Showa period style.
(b) The Meijo period style.
(c) The Heian period style.
(d) The Edo period style.
2. How do Kaname and Misako treat each other at home?
3. How does Hiroshi amuse his father and Takanatsu in Chapter 4?
(a) By speaking with an Osakan accent.
(b) By speaking cutely to the dog.
(c) By imitating his grandfather.
(d) By telling an adult joke.
4. What does Kaname think Misako would rather do than attend the show in Chapter 1?
(a) Stay home and relax.
(b) See her boyfriend.
(c) Work in her garden.
(d) Go shopping.
5. What does Takanatsu have in his suitcase in Chapter 7?
(a) Family photographs.
(b) Art supplies.
(c) Some film magazines.
(d) Pieces of fabric.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Misako and Takanatsu return downstairs in Chapter 6?
2. Why does Kaname think Misako is in a hurry to get home after the puppet show?
3. What does Kaname say would make it much easier for him to leave Misako?
4. How does Kaname think of Tokyoites in comparison to Osakans?
5. What does Takanatsu urge Kaname to do in Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. What memory does Kaname recall as he is listening to the samisen music? Why does he think this memory is significant?
2. In Chapter 7, what does Misako think will happen to her after her divorce becomes public knowledge?
3. Who is O-hisa? What does Misako think of O-hisa?
4. Who is Takanatsu? What does Takanatsu bring Hiroshi as a present?
5. What does Kaname note about the village he is in in Chapter 10?
6. What does Takanatsu let Misako look at in his suitcase? What jokes does Takanatsu make to Misako, which she reacts to in seriousness?
7. What popular tradition among stylish gentlemen is explained in Chapter 9?
8. What has Misako's father done to ensure O-hisa will be taken care of after he dies?
9. Why is Kaname conflicted about going to the puppet theater with his father-in-law?
10. What establishment does Kaname go to when he reaches Kobe? Why does Kaname like to go to this place?
This section contains 811 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)