|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the Japanese word for the sash O-hisa wears?
2. In Chapter 13, what does Misako wish she had not done?
(a) Dated Aso.
(b) Had a child.
(c) Held a grudge against Kaname for so long.
(d) Lied to her fahter.
3. Where has Kaname gone in the past to get a chance to sleep alone?
(a) Takanatsu's house.
(b) To his parents' house.
(c) On business trips.
4. When does the hotel manager suggest Kaname and his hosts should head to the puppet theater?
(a) First thing in the morning.
(b) In the afternoon.
(c) Right after they have lunch.
(d) After dusk.
5. How does Misako's father react to the news of their divorce?
(a) He is enraged.
(b) He is happy.
(c) He is disappointed.
(d) He thinks it's a joke.
6. What does Takanatsu say will happen if Kaname doesn't make a decision about the divorce?
(a) The divorce will never happen.
(b) Hiroshi will figure out something is wrong.
(c) Misako will make false accusations against Kaname.
(d) Aso will lose interest in Misako.
7. What are the audience members drinking during the puppet plays?
(c) Barley tea.
8. What excuse does Misako use to prevent Kaname from seeing the letter from Takanatsu?
(a) It contains something Takanatsu wouldn't want Kaname to know.
(b) She left it at Aso's house.
(c) She can't remember where she put it.
(d) She threw it in the garbage.
9. After meeting Aso, what change did Kaname eventually notice in Misako?
(a) She made more friends.
(b) She began to put more effort into her appearance.
(c) She treated Kaname more kindly.
(d) She started to stand up for herself.
10. In Chapter 10, what time do the puppet plays begin at the theater?
(a) Nine o'clock in the morning.
(c) Eleven o'clock in the morning.
(d) Seven o'clock in the evening.
11. When did Kaname begin to withdraw sexually from Misako?
(a) After he found out about Aso.
(b) Within a year of marriage.
(c) Five years after they married.
(d) Immediately after they married.
12. What does Takanatsu assume when Kaname assures him that Aso's intentions are honorable?
(a) That Kaname has made a deal with Aso.
(b) That Kaname knows Aso's family.
(c) That Kaname and Aso were once friends.
(d) That Kaname can't be bothered to care.
13. What kind of people are said to have a popular tradition of going on pilgrimage in Chapter 7?
(a) Widows and widowers.
(b) Stylish gentlemen.
(d) Elderly people.
14. What does Kaname say has caused Misako to develop a hard, bitter edge?
(a) Trying to protect herself.
(b) Her relationship with O-hisa.
(c) His treatment of her.
(d) Having to do what other people tell her to.
15. Why do Kaname and his hosts leave the puppet plays early?
(a) The show becomes uninteresting.
(b) Misako's father begins to feel ill.
(c) The theater is too hot and crowded.
(d) To prepare for the next day's pilgrimage.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does O-hisa apply to her skin while Misako's father and Kaname wait?
2. What does Kaname change into on his boat journey?
3. What does O-hisa do for Misako's father at bed time?
4. What does Misako admit to Kaname when she has a breakdown in Chapter 8?
5. How often does Kaname visit Louise?
This section contains 579 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)