|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of class has Misako's father NOT sent O-hisa to?
(d) Flower arranging.
2. What does Kaname admit he has been hoping would happen for years?
(a) He would be transferred to Tokyo.
(b) Misako would find out about his affairs.
(c) Takanatsu would fall for Misako.
(d) Misako would leave him for another man.
3. How does Misako's father react to the news of their divorce?
(a) He thinks it's a joke.
(b) He is happy.
(c) He is disappointed.
(d) He is enraged.
4. What excuse does Misako use to prevent Kaname from seeing the letter from Takanatsu?
(a) She left it at Aso's house.
(b) She can't remember where she put it.
(c) She threw it in the garbage.
(d) It contains something Takanatsu wouldn't want Kaname to know.
5. What is unique about the puppet theatre Kaname intends to visit in Chapter 9?
(a) It is attended by the Imperial family.
(b) Its shows have a modern style.
(c) It uses old-fashioned puppets.
(d) It tells Western stories.
6. What does O-hisa need Misako's father to help her with in Chapter 10?
(a) Tying her sash.
(b) Repairing her sandle.
(c) Fixing her hair.
(d) Picking out her outfit.
7. What does O-hisa say she would rather be doing than going to the theater?
(b) Going to see a movie.
(c) Visiting a temple.
(d) Gathering vegetables in the countryside.
8. How long has Misako been seeing Aso for?
(a) Two years.
(b) Six months.
(c) Three years.
(d) One year.
9. What kind of people are said to have a popular tradition of going on pilgrimage in Chapter 7?
(b) Stylish gentlemen.
(c) Elderly people.
(d) Widows and widowers.
10. What sort of bathroom facilities are provided at the puppet theater?
(a) Modern western-style facilities.
(b) A ditch.
(c) A row of outhouses.
(d) Open air buckets.
11. How did Misako deal with Kaname's neglect?
(a) She started seeing other men.
(b) She cried at night.
(c) She did everything she could to please Kaname.
(d) She had a baby in hopes of improving her marriage.
12. Where did Kaname first see Aso with Misako?
(a) At a cafe.
(b) In the language school garden.
(c) At the library.
(d) On Kaname's porch.
13. What does Kaname decide at the end of the novel?
(a) That he will take a mistress.
(b) That he wants a divorce.
(c) That he will stay with Misako.
(d) That he will help Louise.
14. Where does Kaname travel after leaving Misako's father and O-hisa behind in Chapter 11?
15. What does Kaname change into on his boat journey?
(a) A pair of sandles O-hisa made for him.
(b) A brand new kimono.
(c) A Western-style suit.
(d) A bathrobe.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Takanatsu assume when Kaname assures him that Aso's intentions are honorable?
2. What does Misako inform Kaname that Takanatsu did?
3. How do the people in the puppet theater behave?
4. Why does Misako's father close his eyes while he sings in Chapter 7?
5. What do Kaname and his hosts spend the evening doing after leaving the puppet theater?
This section contains 561 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)