|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Worried about going with Takanatsu, what excuse does Hiroshi use to excuse himself from the trip?
(a) He doesn't want to leave his dog.
(b) He made a promise to visit a friend.
(c) He has been feeling unwell.
(d) He has homework to do.
2. Why does Kaname think he should attend the show in Chapter 1?
(a) The show has been getting good reviews.
(b) The show is closing soon.
(c) To show familiar respect to his father-in-law.
(d) He wants to please his wife.
3. What does Takanatsu have in his suitcase in Chapter 7?
(a) Some film magazines.
(b) Art supplies.
(c) Family photographs.
(d) Pieces of fabric.
4. Why do Misako and Takanatsu return downstairs in Chapter 6?
(a) For breakfast.
(b) To take the dogs outside.
(c) To talk to Kaname.
(d) To find Hiroshi.
5. What does Takanatsu urge Kaname to do in Chapter 4?
(a) Speak to Hiroshi about the divorce.
(b) Make up with Misako.
(c) Come to stay at his vacation home.
(d) Tell his father-in-law about his marriage troubles.
6. What is the name of Misako's father's mistress?
7. Why was Takanatsu originally told about Kaname and Misako's marital problems?
(a) Kaname wanted Takanatsu to chide Misako.
(b) He asked if something was wrong.
(c) Misako desperately needed someone to talk to.
(d) So he could help mediate.
8. What does Misako tell Takanatsu that she is in Chapter 7?
(a) Bored to death.
(b) A horrible mother.
(c) A loose woman.
9. What does Misako say she is incapable of when she is alone with her husband?
(a) Showing Kaname affection.
(b) Acting sensibly.
(c) Saying what she wants.
(d) Letting Kaname get his own way.
10. Where does Aso live?
11. To what does Kaname compare the portrayal of women in Japanese theater?
(a) Their portrayal in Hollywood films.
(b) Their portrayal in Chinese theatre.
(c) Their portrayal in Greek tragedies.
(d) Their portrayal in Western literature.
12. What is the name of the dog Takanatsu brings for Hiroshi?
13. What does Kaname say would make it much easier for him to leave Misako?
(a) If her father was dead.
(b) If he was a rich man.
(c) If she was a loose woman.
(d) If they didn't have a child.
14. Who is Aso?
(a) Kaname's employer.
(b) The babysitter.
(c) Misako's cousin.
(d) Misako's boyfriend.
15. Why does Misako follow Takanatsu to his room in Chapter 7?
(a) To collect his laundry.
(b) To show him how to open the window.
(c) To receive a souvenir.
(d) To look at a book.
Short Answer Questions
1. What decade does "Some Prefer Nettles" take place in?
2. In Chapter 3, after the puppet show ends, what does Misako indicate it is a good time to do?
3. What does Takanatsu think Kaname should tell Hiroshi about his parents' marriage?
4. If Kaname and Misako act carelessly, what might happen when they divorce?
5. What does Kaname acknowledge about his relationship with Misako in Chapter 5?
This section contains 540 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)