|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many children did the second wife bear the deceased?
2. Of what is Aunty Nabou proud?
3. Who does Aissatou marry?
4. Why is the narrator upset about the sister-in-laws song?
5. How many years has the narrator been married to the deceased?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the first of Modou's secrets that is revealed?
2. What does Ramatoulaye feel about Daouda and his offer of marriage?
3. What is a possible reason the narrator's first name is revealed in chapter 19?
4. How does the narrator feel about the problems with Aissatou?
5. What is a mirasse?
6. What is special about the narrator and how is this looked upon?
7. What are some things Daouda does when he visits the narrator that implies his future offer of marriage?
8. What is the response to the taking down of the hair by each wife?
9. What does Modou do upon returning from France?
10. What decision does Ramatoulaye make about her three daughters (the "trio") in light of Aissatou's out-of-wedlock pregnancy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Forgiveness. Many people think of forgiveness as an individual act of one person forgiving someone else, as in the story when Ramatoulaye forgives first her husband for deserting her and then her daughter, Aissatou for becoming pregnant out of wedlock. This is one type of forgiveness, but let's look at forgiveness on a grander scale. Research and write an essay on how Germany was treated at the end of WWI versus the end of WWII--what were the differences?
How did the harsh treatment of Germany after WWI contribute to WWII happening, if it did--would Germany have become a different country if it had been treated with forgiveness after WWI?
Do you think that the fact that Germany, Italy, and Japan are successful nations today has to do with the forgiveness offered them after WWII--discuss whether nations be forgiven aggression after they are defeated and how much reparations should be exacted.
Essay Topic 2
When Ramatoulaye realizes her daughters are smoking and wearing "Western" clothes. Discuss the idea of the "ugly American" and why many countries seem to both be attracted to and repulsed by American (United States) culture, fashions, fads, ideas, etc. Do you believe Americans deserve this contempt from many citizens of other countries? Why or why not.
Essay Topic 3
Greed has been one of the strongest motivators for much of the trauma that has happened among humanity--everything from stealing, lying, and cheating to murder, war, and genocide can be traced to individual and national greed. Find four significant events in history that happened almost solely because of greed. Discuss each event. What are the similarities among the events? What was the outcome? Who profited? Who were the losers? Is greed still a big motivator?
This section contains 1,037 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)