|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the deceased give Lady Mother-in-Law when he desires to marry Binetou?
(a) A signed paper in which he committed to paying Binetou a monthly salary.
(b) Three cows and a bull.
(c) A trip to Europe.
(d) A new home.
2. What is said out loud during the mourning rituals?
(a) KORAN verses.
(b) Verses from THE PROPHET.
(c) A poem citing the deceased warrior deeds.
(d) A prayer for the resurrection of the deceased.
3. Of what is Aunty Nabou proud?
(a) Her noble origins.
(b) Her son's profession.
(c) Her large herd of cows.
(d) Her wedgewood china.
4. What dos the narrator do as a profession?
(a) A teacher.
(b) A physician.
(c) A lawyer.
(d) A housewife.
5. Of what does the younger generation speak?
(a) Becoming a democracy.
(c) The need for more computer literacy.
(d) Moving to Europe or the United States.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a test feared by Senegalese women?
2. How do many of the young people consider traditional crafts?
3. According to the narrator, what is the purpose of teaching?
4. What does Daba produce when Lady Mother-in-Law wants the monthly salary continued?
5. What did the narrator's mother think of Modou?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the first of Modou's secrets that is revealed?
2. What did Lady Mother-in-Law bring up at the mirasse and with what result?
3. What evidence is there that racism exists in Senegal? What is the narrator's response to the problem?
4. What decision does Ramatoulaye make about her three daughters (the "trio") in light of Aissatou's out-of-wedlock pregnancy?
5. What is Mawdo Bw's attitude towards his marriage and father-in-law?
6. Why does Modou go to France?
7. Why do you think the narrator still puts up with her in-laws who irritate her and who continue to visit despite the fact that Modou is no longer living with the narrator?
8. How does Daba feel about her father marrying her best friend? Do you think Daba's friend, Binetou, had a choice in marrying Modou? What does the narrator think about Binetou agreement to marry the narrator's husband?
9. Why is Farmata disappointed in how Ramatoulaye handles Aissatou's pregnancy?
10. What is Mawdo's response to Aissatou?
This section contains 1,023 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)