|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is said out loud during the mourning rituals?
(a) A prayer for the resurrection of the deceased.
(b) KORAN verses.
(c) A poem citing the deceased warrior deeds.
(d) Verses from THE PROPHET.
2. What is the first thing the narrator says in her letter?
(a) That she has just had a baby boy.
(b) That her eldest daughter is dead.
(c) That she has moved to Canada.
(d) That she lost her husband today.
3. What dos the narrator do as a profession?
(a) A physician.
(b) A housewife.
(c) A lawyer.
(d) A teacher.
4. How did the narrator's mother feel about the narrator's relationship with Modou?
(a) She thought it was wonderful.
(b) She was not alive at the time.
(c) She didn't know about it.
(d) She disapproved of it at first.
5. How is Aunty Nabou received when she arrives at her destination?
(a) With cold obligatory rituals.
(b) With hesitation.
(c) Like a princess.
(d) She is asked to return home immediately.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the goal of the narrator's education?
2. What does Daba produce when Lady Mother-in-Law wants the monthly salary continued?
3. For whom does Modou work?
4. In Modou's letters to the narrator while getting his degree, for what did he say he longed?
5. According to the narrator, what is the purpose of teaching?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Mawdo's response to Aissatou?
2. What is a possible reason the narrator's first name is revealed in chapter 19?
3. What is the irony in the marriage offer from Dauoda?
4. What is a mirasse?
5. What is the overall tone of the end of this collection of letters?
6. How would you describe Ramatoulaye's attitudes about men and women? Could she be considered a feminist?
7. How does the narrator feel about the problems with Aissatou?
8. What does Ramatoulaye tease her friend, Aissatou, about, but what evidence is there that she accepts her friend?
9. What is the response to the taking down of the hair by each wife?
10. What decision does Ramatoulaye make about her three daughters (the "trio") in light of Aissatou's out-of-wedlock pregnancy?
This section contains 936 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)