|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the traditional contribution for funeral expenses from others?
(a) Agricultural produce.
(d) Crafts to sell at market.
2. What does the narrator find when she rushes to the hospital?
(a) Her dead husband covered in a white sheet.
(b) Her brother-in-law with a broken leg.
(c) Her husband in the ICU unit talking to a nurse.
(d) Her new granddaughter in an incubator.
3. Who leads the country when the republic is born?
(a) The dominant political party.
(b) A group of 15 men.
(c) A dictator who is elected through corruption.
(d) The former king, who agrees to share power.
4. How did the narrator's mother feel about the narrator's relationship with Modou?
(a) She thought it was wonderful.
(b) She disapproved of it at first.
(c) She was not alive at the time.
(d) She didn't know about it.
5. How many children did the second wife bear the deceased?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator have to put up with regularly?
2. How long does the narrator have to stay indoors after the funeral?
3. What do the participants donate to this person's funeral?
4. Why do others disapprove of Aissatou's marriage?
5. What is another secret revealed about the deceased?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the narrator's living situation.
2. What is the overall tone of the end of this collection of letters?
3. What are some things Daouda does when he visits the narrator that implies his future offer of marriage?
4. What is happening politically in these three chapters?
5. Discuss the ritual of taking down the hair.
6. What does the narrator think of those who go to school instead of learning traditional crafts?
7. Describe the process of "making donations." How does the narrator feel about this process?
8. What did Lady Mother-in-Law bring up at the mirasse and with what result?
9. What is a possible reason the narrator's first name is revealed in chapter 19?
10. How does the narrator feel about Tamsir's (Modou's brother) offer of marriage to take place after the mourning period? Why does Tamsir make this offer of marriage?
This section contains 1,185 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)