|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is said out loud during the mourning rituals?
(a) Verses from THE PROPHET.
(b) A poem citing the deceased warrior deeds.
(c) A prayer for the resurrection of the deceased.
(d) KORAN verses.
2. How does the narrator feel about Modou taking a second wife?
(b) Indifferent since she is the first and most important wife.
(c) She does not know he did so.
(d) Glad to have someone to share household chores.
3. Of what is Aunty Nabou proud?
(a) Her son's profession.
(b) Her wedgewood china.
(c) Her large herd of cows.
(d) Her noble origins.
4. When did the narrator and her husband's romance blossom?
(a) They were not very romantic.
(b) After their third child was finally in school.
(c) The moment he saw her as a toddler.
(d) Through their school years.
5. What is the difference between the men and women during the gathering for the deceased?
(a) The women talk and the men are silent.
(b) The men are dressed in native garb, but not the women.
(c) The men eat but the women do not.
(d) The men are loud and boisterous while the women weep quietly.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did the men of Senegal treat an educated woman?
2. What does the narrator find when she rushes to the hospital?
3. Which of Aissatou's brothers follow in their father's footsteps?
4. What is the mirasse?
5. To where does Aunty Nabou travel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What decision does Ramatoulaye make about her three daughters (the "trio") in light of Aissatou's out-of-wedlock pregnancy?
2. What is special about the narrator and how is this looked upon?
3. Why is Farmata disappointed in how Ramatoulaye handles Aissatou's pregnancy?
4. How does Daba feel about her father marrying her best friend? Do you think Daba's friend, Binetou, had a choice in marrying Modou? What does the narrator think about Binetou agreement to marry the narrator's husband?
5. Why is Mawdo's life as a physician successful and what are the implications of this?
6. What is a possible reason the narrator's first name is revealed in chapter 19?
7. What tradition surrounding her husband's death does the narrator dislike and why?
8. What does the narrator write in her diary as a young woman and remembers in this chapter?
9. How does Daouda ask for Ramatoulaye's hand in marriage and what is her response?
10. What is happening to the narrator's daughter, Aissitou, who is named for the narrator's best friend in the United States.
This section contains 1,011 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)