|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the narrator's first impression of her future husband?
(a) That he needed to gain a little weight.
(b) That he was attractive and intelligent.
(c) That he probably wasn't from her country.
(d) That he was not very bright.
2. What do the narrator and her friends do at their house parties?
(a) Relive their youth to the beat of old songs.
(b) Sell tupperware.
(c) Organize political rallies.
(d) Compare and evaluate their husbands.
3. What does the narrator think of Aissatou's in-laws?
(a) That they take advantage of Aissatou.
(b) That they do not respect Aissatou.
(c) That they should not have moved to the United States.
(d) That they are wonderfully warm people.
4. Why is this test feared by Senegalese women?
(a) It reveals what others think about her.
(b) It determines who will marry her.
(c) It can sometimes result in death.
(d) It is very painful.
5. What does Modou think of the policies of the dominant party?
(a) He thinks they are instituting wonderful changes.
(b) He thinks they are weak.
(c) He believes they are depleting the country's resources and wasting the money.
(d) He believes they are too traditional.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of what does the younger generation speak?
2. What dos the narrator do as a profession?
3. How does Aissatou respond to Mawdo's taking a second wife under pressure from his mother?
4. How is Aunty Nabou received when she arrives at her destination?
5. What does Aunty Nabou demand?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Aissatou respond to Mawdo accepting a second wife from his mother?
2. What is Mawdo's response to Aissatou?
3. How does the family feel about Ibrahima?
4. How does the narrator react to the news and what does she think?
5. How does Mawdo's mother take revenge agains Aissatou?
6. Why does the narrator rush to the hospital and what does she find?
7. How does the narrator learn of Modou's new wife and what is she told?
8. How does Daba feel about her father marrying her best friend? Do you think Daba's friend, Binetou, had a choice in marrying Modou? What does the narrator think about Binetou agreement to marry the narrator's husband?
9. What evidence is there that racism exists in Senegal? What is the narrator's response to the problem?
10. What is special about the narrator and how is this looked upon?
This section contains 1,034 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)