|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the difference between the narrator's friends and fellow teachers versus her in-laws?
(a) Her in-laws belong to a different political party from her friends.
(b) Her in-laws are from Kenya, not Senegal.
(c) Her friends are modern-minded; whereas the in-laws stick to tradition.
(d) She is able to relax with them, which she can't do with her in-laws.
2. What is remarkable about the narrator?
(a) She won an Olympic gold medal in track.
(b) She was the only female pilot in Senegal.
(c) She gave birth to a set of sextuplets all of whom survived.
(d) She had been one of the first educated women in Senegal.
3. What was the narrator's first impression of her future husband?
(a) That he was not very bright.
(b) That he was attractive and intelligent.
(c) That he probably wasn't from her country.
(d) That he needed to gain a little weight.
4. What do the narrator and her friends do at their house parties?
(a) Organize political rallies.
(b) Relive their youth to the beat of old songs.
(c) Compare and evaluate their husbands.
(d) Sell tupperware.
5. How did the men of Senegal treat an educated woman?
(a) With deference.
(b) In awe that they could achieve such a difficult goal.
(c) They would not marry any woman who went to school past sixth grade.
(d) The men would often insult educated women but desired them also.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of what does the younger generation speak?
2. To what does the narrator compare teachers?
3. What does the narrator find when she rushes to the hospital?
4. How is Aunty Nabou received when she arrives at her destination?
5. How does the narrator feel about Modou taking a second wife?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to the relationship between Modou and his first wife, the narrator? Do you think it is Binetou's fault for how Modou handles his two marriages?
2. What evidence of Modou's negligence to his first family is there? How does the narrator react?
3. What evidence is there that racism exists in Senegal? What is the narrator's response to the problem?
4. What does Modou do upon returning from France?
5. What is a mirasse?
6. What is the response to the taking down of the hair by each wife?
7. What did Lady Mother-in-Law bring up at the mirasse and with what result?
8. What are the circumstances leading up to Modou marrying Binetou?
9. How does Daba feel about her father marrying her best friend? Do you think Daba's friend, Binetou, had a choice in marrying Modou? What does the narrator think about Binetou agreement to marry the narrator's husband?
10. What is the overall tone of the end of this collection of letters?
This section contains 1,088 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)