|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is another secret revealed about the deceased?
(a) He had abandoned his first wife (the narrator) and her children to live with Binetou.
(b) He had four illegitimate children.
(c) He never legally married his second wife.
(d) He made a pact with an Inman to send his son to England.
2. What do the participants donate to this person's funeral?
(a) Land for the widows to live on.
(c) Forty head of sheep.
(d) A slave to be sacrificed on the funeral pyre.
3. Of what does the younger generation speak?
(a) The need for more computer literacy.
(b) Moving to Europe or the United States.
(c) Becoming a democracy.
4. Who is Aunty Nabou?
(a) The narrator's second cousin.
(b) Mawdo's mother.
(c) The narrator's mother-in-law.
(d) The mother of the country's president.
5. According to tradition, who stays with the narrator during this tragic time?
(a) The dead person's co-wife.
(b) The shamen of the tribe.
(c) All the children from all the wives.
(d) The deceased male relatives.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Modou's friend who Modou introduces to the narrator and her friends?
2. What is the occupation of Aissatou's father?
3. How many years has the second wife been married to the deceased?
4. For whom does Modou work?
5. Who does Aissatou marry?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the first of Modou's secrets that is revealed?
2. How does Aissatou respond to Mawdo accepting a second wife from his mother?
3. Why is Farmata disappointed in how Ramatoulaye handles Aissatou's pregnancy?
4. What is special about the narrator and how is this looked upon?
5. What contributed to Modou's success in his work environment?
6. How does Daba feel about her father marrying her best friend? Do you think Daba's friend, Binetou, had a choice in marrying Modou? What does the narrator think about Binetou agreement to marry the narrator's husband?
7. What is Mawdo Bw's attitude towards his marriage and father-in-law?
8. What did Lady Mother-in-Law bring up at the mirasse and with what result?
9. What is the goal of the school the narrator attends?
10. Why is Mawdo's life as a physician successful and what are the implications of this?
This section contains 857 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)