|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the participants donate to this person's funeral?
(a) A slave to be sacrificed on the funeral pyre.
(b) Forty head of sheep.
(c) Land for the widows to live on.
2. Of what does the younger generation speak?
(b) The need for more computer literacy.
(c) Becoming a democracy.
(d) Moving to Europe or the United States.
3. In Modou's letters to the narrator while getting his degree, for what did he say he longed?
(a) His family and friends.
(b) A home-cooked meal.
(c) For the narrator's presence and black complexion.
(d) Enough money to come home and visit.
4. What is the occupation of Aissatou's father?
5. What do the female relatives do for the deceased?
(a) Wash the dead person's body.
(b) Cover their heads with yellow cloth for two weeks.
(c) Wail while walking around the outside of the home.
(d) Light the funeral pyre.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Modou gain many promotions in his job?
2. For whom does Modou work?
3. What keeps Mawdo busy as a physician?
4. How might one describe the culture of the Senegal people?
5. What gives the narrator the ability to buck her family and marry who she wishes?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the narrator rush to the hospital and what does she find?
2. What does Ramatoulaye tease her friend, Aissatou, about, but what evidence is there that she accepts her friend?
3. Why do you think the narrator still puts up with her in-laws who irritate her and who continue to visit despite the fact that Modou is no longer living with the narrator?
4. What is special about the narrator and how is this looked upon?
5. How does the narrator feel about the problems with Aissatou?
6. What contributed to Modou's success in his work environment?
7. What is happening politically in these three chapters?
8. How does the narrator react to the news and what does she think?
9. What decision is made about Aissatou's pregnancy and how does Ramatoulaye feel about the decision?
10. What are some things Daouda does when he visits the narrator that implies his future offer of marriage?
This section contains 920 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)