|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the deceased do when he meets Binetou?
(a) Removes her from school.
(b) Sends her to school to learn how to manage the farmstead.
(c) Forces her to climb the Ngorongoro crator with him.
(d) Sends her to live with his brother as a third wife.
2. How long does the narrator have to stay indoors after the funeral?
(a) Four months and ten days.
(b) She does not have to stay indoors.
(c) As long as it takes for her hair to grow long again.
(d) Three days.
3. What does the narrator wonder about those who come to acknowledge the deceased person?
(a) Whose grief is genuine.
(b) How much each person will donate.
(c) If she might find a man to marry among them.
(d) If any were an enemy of the deceased.
4. What does the narrator have to put up with regularly?
(a) Babysitting her nieces and nephews.
(b) Her mother offering advice.
(c) Snakes in the house.
(d) Her sisters-in-law and mother-in-law's frequent intrusions.
5. What is the traditional contribution for funeral expenses from others?
(c) Crafts to sell at market.
(d) Agricultural produce.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the goal of the narrator's education?
2. Who does little Nabou marry at Aunty Nabou's insistence?
3. What profession does Aunty Nabou insist her niece take up?
4. Who leads the country when the republic is born?
5. What had the deceased bought to please his second wife?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is happening to the narrator's daughter, Aissitou, who is named for the narrator's best friend in the United States.
2. With what does Aissatou surprise the narrator and what is Modou's response? Does it surprise you, the reader, that another woman would give a car to a her best friend when the husband is not providing for her?
3. How is Daouda Dieng significant to the narrator?
4. How does the narrator feel about the problems with Aissatou?
5. What is Mawdo's response to Aissatou?
6. What does people think about Mawdo's marriage to Aissatou?
7. How do the narrator and her friends make their lives better?
8. What does Modou do upon returning from France?
9. How does the narrator learn of Modou's new wife and what is she told?
10. Describe the wake scene for Modou.
This section contains 915 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)