|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the narrator feel about Modou taking a second wife?
(a) She does not know he did so.
(c) Glad to have someone to share household chores.
(d) Indifferent since she is the first and most important wife.
2. What does Mawdo tell the narrator about having two sons with Nabou?
(a) That women do not understand that men are partly driven by animal instincts.
(b) That he will now divorce Nabou.
(c) That he has learned to love Nabou as much as Aissatou.
(d) That he is giving the boys up for adoption.
3. When did the narrator realize that Modou was the man for her for life?
(a) During their first dance.
(b) When he asked her to marry him.
(c) After he dies.
(d) When he held their first child in his arms.
4. Who did Modou support politically?
(a) He wanted to stay part of the British empire.
(b) The political party who opposed the dominant one.
(c) The dominant party.
(d) His own small group.
5. How is Aunty Nabou received when she arrives at her destination?
(a) She is asked to return home immediately.
(b) Like a princess.
(c) With hesitation.
(d) With cold obligatory rituals.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the occupation of Aissatou's father?
2. Who suffers a heart attack?
3. What is another secret revealed about the deceased?
4. Which wife receives the most money?
5. Of what is Aunty Nabou proud?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the process of "making donations." How does the narrator feel about this process?
2. How does the narrator feel about the problems with Aissatou?
3. How does the narrator feel about Tamsir's (Modou's brother) offer of marriage to take place after the mourning period? Why does Tamsir make this offer of marriage?
4. What did Lady Mother-in-Law bring up at the mirasse and with what result?
5. What are the narrator's concerns for some of her children?
6. What is Mawdo Bw's attitude towards his marriage and father-in-law?
7. What is Mawdo's response to Aissatou?
8. How does the narrator react to Modou's death?
9. What is a possible reason the narrator's first name is revealed in chapter 19?
10. What is a mirasse?
This section contains 1,033 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)