|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Modou gain many promotions in his job?
(a) His charisma and devotion to the workers' plight.
(b) He bribes those in authority above him.
(c) He does not accept a salary for his work.
(d) His father-in-law is in charge where he works.
2. What, in the narrator's opinion, does modernity do?
(a) It increases live births.
(b) It signifies the slow death of traditional trades.
(c) It improves the country immensely.
(d) It causes immoral behavior among the young people.
3. Who did Modou support politically?
(a) He wanted to stay part of the British empire.
(b) The political party who opposed the dominant one.
(c) The dominant party.
(d) His own small group.
4. What does the narrator have to put up with regularly?
(a) Her sisters-in-law and mother-in-law's frequent intrusions.
(b) Her mother offering advice.
(c) Snakes in the house.
(d) Babysitting her nieces and nephews.
5. What does the narrator find when she rushes to the hospital?
(a) Her brother-in-law with a broken leg.
(b) Her new granddaughter in an incubator.
(c) Her dead husband covered in a white sheet.
(d) Her husband in the ICU unit talking to a nurse.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who suffers a heart attack?
2. Why is this test feared by Senegalese women?
3. What is the mirasse?
4. How did the narrator's mother feel about the narrator's relationship with Modou?
5. What is the occupation of Aissatou's father?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the ritual of taking down the hair.
2. What does Ramatoulaye feel about Daouda and his offer of marriage?
3. What does people think about Mawdo's marriage to Aissatou?
4. How does Mawdo's mother take revenge agains Aissatou?
5. How does the family feel about Ibrahima?
6. What is special about the narrator and how is this looked upon?
7. What decision does Ramatoulaye make about her three daughters (the "trio") in light of Aissatou's out-of-wedlock pregnancy?
8. What is a mirasse?
9. What is the first of Modou's secrets that is revealed?
10. What does Modou do upon returning from France?
This section contains 901 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)