|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of clothes do her daughters wear?
2. Who gives the narrator a brand new car?
(a) Lady Mother-in-law.
3. What does the narrator do to Modou about his second marriage?
(a) She asks him to have it annulled.
(b) She pretends it didn't happen.
(c) She forgives him.
(d) She gives him an ultimatum.
4. How does the narrator feel around Daouda Dieng?
(b) An equal.
(c) Put down.
(d) As just another woman to take care of a man.
5. What decision does the narrator make about her daughters?
(a) To watch them more closely.
(b) To marry them by the time each is 21.
(c) To send them to the United States for college.
(d) To pull them out of school and teach them traditional skills.
6. What does the narrator do to fill the void her husband's loss leaves?
(a) Tries to find another husband.
(b) Listens to the radio all the time.
(c) Travels around the world.
(d) Babysits her grandchildren.
7. How does the narrator respond to Daouda Dieng's looks of admiration?
(a) She flirts with him.
(b) She lowers her eyes in submission.
(c) She is hoping he wants to marry her.
(d) She is embarrassed.
8. When Daouda Dieng returns, what does he say he appreciates?
(a) The narrator's rice pudding.
(b) Talking politics with the narrator's children.
(c) Senegal's socialism.
(d) Having been a successful physcian.
9. What does Daouda Dieng think is necessary to help the development of Senegal?
(a) A fight against poverty and for women to be politically involved.
(b) For woman to stay home and have babies.
(c) Lots of foreign aid from the United States.
(d) More colleges to open in Senegal.
10. How does Modou feel about being married to Binetou?
(a) He believes she tricked him into marrying her.
(b) He is sorry he married her.
(c) He expects to divorce her after he is tired of her.
(d) He is happy.
11. What does she catch three of her daughters doing that infuriates the narrator?
(b) Entertaining boys at home while their mother is gone.
(c) Piercing their ears.
(d) Corresponding with boys on the internet.
12. What happens whenever the narrator goes to the movies alone?
(a) She sneaks in without paying as she is now poor.
(b) She receives looks of astonishment.
(c) She is accosted by men.
(d) She is able to have all the popcorn to herself.
13. How many years have the narrator and Modou been married when he takes a second wife?
14. Who is the father of one of the narrator's soon-to-be-born grandchild?
(a) Moubo Tza.
(b) Mawba Sou.
(c) Dieng Douda.
(d) Ibrahima Sall.
15. Who does the narrator blame for her husband taking a second wife?
(a) She says no one is to blame.
(c) Having too many children.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the narrator's neighbor?
2. How does Nabou feel about Mawdo?
3. Now that Modou has left her, how does the narrator travel with her children?
4. Who helps care for the narrator's children when they are sick?
5. What two woman does the narrator compare?
This section contains 542 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)