|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Of what is Aissatou's son, Mawdo Fall, a victim?
(b) A car accident.
(c) An airplane crash.
2. Who is the narrator's neighbor?
(a) Her mother-in-law.
(b) Her oldest daughter who is married.
(c) A widower with two children.
(d) The griot woman.
3. From what type of background does Binetou come?
(b) A poor background.
(c) Upper class.
4. What happens to her sons Alioune and Malick?
(a) They are hit by a motorcycle.
(b) They are kidnapped by their father.
(c) They quit school to support their mother.
(d) They both refuse to marry who their mother has chosen for them.
5. What two woman does the narrator compare?
(a) Daba and Binetou.
(b) Aunty Nabou and Lady Mother-in-law.
(c) Aissatou and herself.
(d) Nabou and Binetou.
6. How does the narrator feel about Modou even several years after he marries Binetou?
(a) She wishes he would die.
(b) She is indifferent to him.
(c) She hopes Binetou leaves him.
(d) She still loves him.
7. What does the narrator believe about Lady mother-in-law?
(a) She gave her permission for Binetou to marry so Binetou would be happy.
(b) She was appalled at the marriage of Binetou to Modou.
(c) She wants to escape poverty through her daughter Binetou's marriage.
(d) She does not yet know about the marriage.
8. How did the narrator feel about her marriage before Modou abandons her?
(a) She loved being married.
(b) She was actually thinking of divorcing Modou.
(c) She felt Modou took advantage of her.
(d) She hated being married.
9. What is the narrator's oldest daughter like?
(a) Defers all decisions to her mother.
(c) Too lazy to study in school.
(d) Submissive to men.
10. In what way does the narrator believe lies her happiness?
(a) Moving to the United States to live with Aissatou.
(b) Killing herself.
(c) Being part of a couple.
(d) Giving her children to relatives to raise.
11. How does Nabou feel about Mawdo?
(a) She is repulsed by him.
(b) She likes him but is in love with a man from her hometown.
(c) She despises him.
(d) She loves him.
12. How did Modou respond to the narrator having a new car?
13. What does she catch three of her daughters doing that infuriates the narrator?
(b) Corresponding with boys on the internet.
(c) Piercing their ears.
(d) Entertaining boys at home while their mother is gone.
14. What has Daouda Dieng been called publicly?
(a) A racist.
(b) A candidate for presidency.
(c) An embezzler.
(d) A feminist.
15. Now that Modou has left her, how does the narrator travel with her children?
(a) On public transportation.
(b) By taxi.
(c) On foot.
(d) They can't afford to travel.
Short Answer Questions
1. What decision does the narrator make about her daughters?
2. Who does the narrator blame for her children's problems?
3. Who pushes Aissatou, the narrator's daughter, to tell her mother about a difficult situation?
4. Why does the narrator learn to drive?
5. After the first visit, what does Daouda Dieng promise?
This section contains 569 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)