|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the narrator view herself at age fifty?
(a) As a liberated woman.
(b) As someone whose life is almost over.
(c) As someone too old to attract another man.
(d) As a good catch for a wife.
2. Who helps care for the narrator's children when they are sick?
(b) Mawdo Bw.
(d) The in-laws.
3. What two woman does the narrator compare?
(a) Daba and Binetou.
(b) Nabou and Binetou.
(c) Aunty Nabou and Lady Mother-in-law.
(d) Aissatou and herself.
4. What is Ibrahima Sall's occupation?
(a) An infantry man in the military.
(b) A policeman.
(c) A physician.
(d) A law student.
5. What does the narrator think of Aissatou's choice to leave her husband and move to the United States?
(a) The narrator approves of the choice.
(b) That Aissatou should have stayed.
(c) That Aissatou is immoral.
(d) That Aissatou never loved Mawdo.
6. How does Nabou feel about Mawdo?
(a) She is repulsed by him.
(b) She loves him.
(c) She likes him but is in love with a man from her hometown.
(d) She despises him.
7. How many years have passed since the end of chapter 12 and the beginning of chapter 13?
8. Who pushes Aissatou, the narrator's daughter, to tell her mother about a difficult situation?
(a) Aissatou the elder.
(d) The principal at the school where Aissatou attends.
9. Who is the narrator's neighbor?
(a) Her oldest daughter who is married.
(b) The griot woman.
(c) A widower with two children.
(d) Her mother-in-law.
10. What happens when Modou and Binetou go out?
(a) They dance until the early morning hours.
(b) They enjoy themselves immensely.
(c) They argue about where to go.
(d) Young people quietly make fun of them.
11. What does the narrator do to fill the void her husband's loss leaves?
(a) Travels around the world.
(b) Babysits her grandchildren.
(c) Listens to the radio all the time.
(d) Tries to find another husband.
12. How many years have the narrator and Modou been married when he takes a second wife?
13. Who tells the narrator he will marry her after the mourning period is over for Modou?
(b) Samba Diack.
(c) Daouda Dieng.
14. Of what is Aissatou's son, Mawdo Fall, a victim?
(a) A car accident.
(d) An airplane crash.
15. What happens to her sons Alioune and Malick?
(a) They are hit by a motorcycle.
(b) They are kidnapped by their father.
(c) They quit school to support their mother.
(d) They both refuse to marry who their mother has chosen for them.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does she catch three of her daughters doing that infuriates the narrator?
2. What was the narrator's emotional response to an offer of marriage after Modou's death?
3. What does the narrator believe about Lady mother-in-law?
4. How does the narrator respond to Daouda Dieng's looks of admiration?
5. Who is the father of one of the narrator's soon-to-be-born grandchild?
This section contains 545 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)