Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the narrator rush to the hospital and what does she find?
2. How does the narrator react to Modou's death?
3. What tradition surrounding her husband's death does the narrator dislike and why?
4. Discuss the ritual of taking down the hair.
5. What is the response to the taking down of the hair by each wife?
6. Describe the wake scene for Modou.
7. Describe the process of "making donations." How does the narrator feel about this process?
8. What does the widow have to do after the funeral of her husband? How does she feel about this?
9. What is a mirasse?
10. What is the first of Modou's secrets that is revealed?
11. What did Lady Mother-in-Law bring up at the mirasse and with what result?
12. What does the narrator write in her diary as a young woman and remembers in this chapter?
13. Why does Modou go to France?
This section contains 831 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)