|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 10-12.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Daouda Dieng?
(a) The boy her mother prefers over Modou.
(b) The narrator's maternal uncle.
(c) The narrator's brother.
(d) The head of the police in Senegal.
2. Of what does the younger generation speak?
(a) Becoming a democracy.
(c) Moving to Europe or the United States.
(d) The need for more computer literacy.
3. How did the men of Senegal treat an educated woman?
(a) In awe that they could achieve such a difficult goal.
(b) The men would often insult educated women but desired them also.
(c) They would not marry any woman who went to school past sixth grade.
(d) With deference.
4. According to tradition, who stays with the narrator during this tragic time?
(a) The dead person's co-wife.
(b) All the children from all the wives.
(c) The shamen of the tribe.
(d) The deceased male relatives.
5. To what does the narrator compare teachers?
(a) Slaves from the Roman times.
(b) An army of priests-in charge of people's souls.
(c) Evangelical ministers.
(d) Socrates and Aristotole.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the occupation of Aissatou's father?
2. What does the narrator think of Aissatou's in-laws?
3. What is said out loud during the mourning rituals?
4. What is the narrator's state of mind at the opening of the book?
5. Of what significance is the narrator's unconventional marriage?
This section contains 290 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)