|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is not true about Charley's health?
2. What happens when Charley gets a pass to see the sights?
3. What soon begins to pelt at Charley?
4. Why does Charley go to the river?
5. How does Charley feel about the dying enemy soldiers?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the date when Chapter 10 begins and where is Charley?
2. How does the Battle of Gettysburg begin for Charley and his company?
3. Describe Charley's experience as he and his company march toward Richmond.
4. What should Charley's life be like now that he is 21-years-old?
5. How does Charley spend his first paycheck?
6. What disease does Charley come down with while waiting in camp?
7. Why are the men from Minnesota better equipped to deal with the deteriorating conditions in camp?
8. Explain the range of Charley's thoughts as he sits by the river.
9. What is meant by "farming" in the context of Chapter 6?
10. How does the battle end for Charley?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Develop a character study of Charley Goddard. What are his physical traits? What motivates him? What are his personal characteristics?
Essay Topic 2
Charley Goddard was a real person who actually lived in Minnesota and served in the Civil War. How much of Soldier's Heart do you think is accurate? How much do you think the author invented for dramatic license? Discuss which parts you think are accurate and which are invented.
Essay Topic 3
In what ways do you think Charley may have been misled about what war was really like? Or do you think he was well informed about the decision he was making? Explain. What about the other characters?
This section contains 838 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)