|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the date of Chapter 10?
2. Charley thinks he has a wound in his ________________.
3. Which of the following does Charley not see on the farms surrounding Washington?
4. Who calls to Charley when he is on guard duty one night?
5. What is the morale of the men as they wait in camp?
Short Essay Questions
1. What job does a surgeon ask Charley to do?
2. What is the setting for Chapter 9?
3. Why does Charley find the job of slaughtering the horses so repugnant?
4. What disease does Charley come down with while waiting in camp?
5. What is the foreshadowing of the meadow in Chapter 8?
6. What is meant by "farming" in the context of Chapter 6?
7. Describe Charley's experience as he and his company march toward Richmond.
8. Why are the men from Minnesota better equipped to deal with the deteriorating conditions in camp?
9. What are some of the very familiar things that Charley experiences as he heads into this battle?
10. How do Charley and his comrades differ in their opinions about the possibility of any more battles?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At what point does Charley's disillusionment with war begin to set in? Do you think Charley and his comrades would sometimes prefer battle to the monotony of boring days in camp? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
The author provides very vivid accounts of battles and Charley's life in camp and in the hospital. What do you think it would take to survive such an ordeal? What other than the potential for being shot for desertion, forces Charley to remain a loyal soldier?
Essay Topic 3
Develop a character study of Charley Goddard. What are his physical traits? What motivates him? What are his personal characteristics?
This section contains 960 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)