|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What soon faces Charley and his comrades?
2. What does Charley do with the gun?
3. Who is the new recruit who talks as if he knows what is going to happen in the battle?
4. Charley cannot bring himself to shoot at the ______________.
5. Who calls to Charley when he is on guard duty one night?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the battle end for Charley?
2. What is the foreshadowing of the meadow in Chapter 8?
3. Why are Charley and some other men ordered to slaughter horses?
4. What is the men's opinions of General McClellan?
5. What are some of the very familiar things that Charley experiences as he heads into this battle?
6. How do the men get whiskey?
7. Explain the range of Charley's thoughts as he sits by the river.
8. In addition to his food, what does Charley take with him on a picnic by the river?
9. What type of food is available to the soldiers in camp?
10. How do Charley and his comrades differ in their opinions about the possibility of any more battles?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author provides very vivid accounts of battles and Charley's life in camp and in the hospital. What do you think it would take to survive such an ordeal? What other than the potential for being shot for desertion, forces Charley to remain a loyal soldier?
Essay Topic 2
Charley seems to have more affection for horses than he does for people and finds it easier to shoot men than horses in battle. It is especially repugnant for Charley to have to slaughter the horses for food for the men. Where does this feeling come from for Charley? Is he normal in his perspective on this?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Charley's reactions to the first rural Southerners he sees in the fields. Does he feel compassion or zealous confidence? What is the basis for his reaction?
This section contains 927 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)