|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the extent of Charley's wound?
2. Which of the following do Charley and the other men not take from the surrounding farms?
3. Which of the following animals is Charley not accustomed to slaughtering?
4. What happens to men who are caught deserting?
5. A portion of the ____________ in Charley's regiment is destroyed.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the nature of the wound Charley sustains in Chapter 8?
2. What is life like for Charley and his company after they return to camp in Washington?
3. How does the Battle of Gettysburg begin for Charley and his company?
4. In addition to his food, what does Charley take with him on a picnic by the river?
5. What is the foreshadowing of the meadow in Chapter 8?
6. What type of food is available to the soldiers in camp?
7. How do Charley and his comrades differ in their opinions about the possibility of any more battles?
8. Why are Charley and some other men ordered to slaughter horses?
9. What are some of the very familiar things that Charley experiences as he heads into this battle?
10. What is the state of Charley's mental and physical health?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what ways do you think Charley may have been misled about what war was really like? Or do you think he was well informed about the decision he was making? Explain. What about the other characters?
Essay Topic 2
Charley has a tremendous will to live and survives many battles only to return home a shell of a man considering suicide. What makes Charley change his mind about killing himself? What do you think Charley's life will be like from the point he makes his decision?
Essay Topic 3
Charley doesn't really think about slavery until he sees a black person for the first time while on the train to camp. What does Charley think is the cause of the war in which he wants to fight? What are his reasons for going?
This section contains 985 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)