|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Charley feel like on the train?
2. Where does Charley's company board a train?
3. Which of the following is not an appeal for Charley?
4. What happens on June 22, 1861?
5. What does Charley think he sees over the battlefield?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the main content of Charley's mother's letters to him?
2. What is the obstacle to Charley's joining the army and how does he plan to overcome it?
3. How does the author show Charley's inexperience and immaturity during the battle?
4. Describe the horrible sights Charley encounters while marching over dead bodies into battle.
5. What is Charley's relationship with God during this battle?
6. What are Charley's impressions of the poor Southerners he sees from the train?
7. What do the officers tell the men after the battle which Charley knows is a lie?
8. What do Charley and the other soldiers believe their role will be in the war, if there really is a war?
9. How does Charley feel about the position of the Union in the war?
10. How is Charley caught up in the excitement of the possibility of a civil war?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author provides very vivid accounts of battles and Charley's life in camp and in the hospital. What do you think it would take to survive such an ordeal? What other than the potential for being shot for desertion, forces Charley to remain a loyal soldier?
Essay Topic 2
At what point does Charley's disillusionment with war begin to set in? Do you think Charley and his comrades would sometimes prefer battle to the monotony of boring days in camp? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Describe how Charley's initial induction into the army reinforces his ideas of glory and grandeur. Be sure to include the luxuries on the train ride, which is an experience Charley feels is fitting for the beginning of a glorious war.
This section contains 900 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)