|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do girls in the towns give the soldiers?
2. What sound does Charley find frightening?
3. What do the people do when the train passes through towns?
4. Which of the following is not an appeal for Charley?
5. What is the name of Charley's brother?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Charley's experience in the battle of Bull Run?
2. What are the men told will happen tomorrow and what does Charley feel about it?
3. How is Charley caught up in the excitement of the possibility of a civil war?
4. What is the main content of Charley's mother's letters to him?
5. How do Charley and his mother come to terms with his going to war?
6. What do the officers tell the men after the battle which Charley knows is a lie?
7. Describe how Charley is protected by dead bodies during the battle.
8. Describe Charley's military training.
9. Describe the scenario of the black woman giving a sweet roll to Charley.
10. What is Charley's relationship with God during this battle?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of the scene where Charley converses with a Rebel soldier on the other side of the river? Why is it ironic? Why does the author include such a poignant scene?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Charley's reactions to the first rural Southerners he sees in the fields. Does he feel compassion or zealous confidence? What is the basis for his reaction?
Essay Topic 3
Describe how Charley's initial induction into the army reinforces his ideas of glory and grandeur. Be sure to include the luxuries on the train ride, which is an experience Charley feels is fitting for the beginning of a glorious war.
This section contains 836 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)