|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What weapon are the men told to use in the heat of battle?
2. A portion of the ____________ in Charley's regiment is destroyed.
3. What do the men do while waiting for the next battle?
(a) Visit whorehouses
(b) Volunteer at the Red Cross
(c) Drill and wait
(d) Visit hospitals
4. Charley is not old in years but in _____________________.
(a) past lives.
5. As Charley waits for medical attention, he sees a large stack of __________________.
(c) amputated arms and legs
Short Answer Questions
1. What have become symbols of death for Charley?
2. What is the extent of Charley's wound?
3. Charley wonders if the Rebel soldiers are brave or ____________.
4. Which of the following does Charley not say in a letter to his mother?
5. What is the nickname for the Southern secessionists?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the men's opinions of General McClellan?
2. How does the Battle of Gettysburg begin for Charley and his company?
3. Describe Charley's unexpected and pleasant encounter with a Confederate soldier.
4. How does Charley spend his first paycheck?
5. Describe Charley's experience as he and his company march toward Richmond.
6. What is the foreshadowing of the meadow in Chapter 8?
7. What disease does Charley come down with while waiting in camp?
8. Explain why Charley's life is essentially over at the age of 21.
9. What is meant by "farming" in the context of Chapter 6?
10. Why are the men from Minnesota better equipped to deal with the deteriorating conditions in camp?
This section contains 968 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)