|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Charley's company has 600 men while the Rebels have ___________ men.
2. What does Charley feel his fate is?
(a) He will be dishonorably discharged
(b) He will desert soon
(c) He will die in battle
(d) He will be a war hero
3. Which of the following animals is Charley not accustomed to slaughtering?
4. Who helps to provide some food for the soldiers?
(a) Church groups
(b) Local women
(c) Officers' wives
5. The men are issued uniforms of heavy blue wool and ___________________.
(a) a red hat
(b) a red bandana
(c) a black leather belt
(d) a red shirt
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the state of Charley's health?
2. What type of combat ensues?
3. What soon faces Charley and his comrades?
4. Which of the following do Charley and the other men not take from the surrounding farms?
5. What does Charley contemplate as he sits on the riverbank?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the nature of the wound Charley sustains in Chapter 8?
2. What type of food is available to the soldiers in camp?
3. Explain why Charley's life is essentially over at the age of 21.
4. What does Charley think as he watches the enemy soldiers fall and die?
5. What disease does Charley come down with while waiting in camp?
6. Why are the men from Minnesota better equipped to deal with the deteriorating conditions in camp?
7. How do the men get whiskey?
8. What are some of the very familiar things that Charley experiences as he heads into this battle?
9. What is the men's opinions of General McClellan?
10. Describe Charley's unexpected and pleasant encounter with a Confederate soldier.
This section contains 989 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)