|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Charley and many other men do that embarrasses them?
(b) Wet their pants
(d) Sing lullabies
2. Where does Charley see his first black people?
(a) South Carolina
3. What is Charley's last name?
4. What is the name of the first battle Charley is in?
(b) Bull Run
5. What does Charely observe more and more of his comrades doing?
(a) Using foul language
(b) Stealing food
(c) Stealing guns
(d) Going to whorehouses
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Charley finally take cover?
2. What does Charley notice about the black people he sees?
3. What does Charley not note about the dead soldiers?
4. How many times a week does Charley's mother write to him?
5. What is the significant event for Charley in Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. What unusual sight does Charley see as he looks out over the battlefield that evening?
2. What do Charley and the other soldiers believe their role will be in the war, if there really is a war?
3. What do the officers tell the men after the battle which Charley knows is a lie?
4. How do Charley and his mother come to terms with his going to war?
5. What is the premise of this book?
6. How does Chapter 4 end?
7. How does the author show Charley's inexperience and immaturity during the battle?
8. Describe Charley's experience on the train to Manassas.
9. How does Charley spend the night after his first day in battle?
10. What role does the issue of slavery play in Charley's perceptions about the war?
This section contains 756 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)