|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long is the war supposed to last?
(a) At least two years
(b) A month or two
(c) A couple years
(d) Probably three years
2. What do the soldiers do when they run out of bullets for practice?
(a) Practice shooting and reloading with no bullets
(b) Read the Bible
(c) Go on scouting expeditions
(d) Practice marching
3. Why do the men not get to practice shooting too much?
(a) There is a shortage of ammunition
(b) There is a shortage of guns
(c) The soldiers need other training first
(d) They do not want to alert the enemy to their locations
4. What is the significant event for Charley in Chapter 4?
(a) He gets married
(b) He returns home
(c) He is in his first battle
(d) He is wounded
5. What prevents Charley from enlisting in the army?
(a) He is flat-footed
(b) He is too small
(c) He cannot get his mother's permission
(d) He is too young
Short Answer Questions
1. Charley wonders how the men can line up and wait __________________________.
2. What do the officers tell the men to do now?
3. What does Charley contemplate when he sees the black people?
4. What is Charley's last name?
5. What is the overall mood of Charley and his companions?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the men told will happen tomorrow and what does Charley feel about it?
2. Why is Charley uncomfortable with the immoral behavior of his fellow soldiers?
3. What are Charley's impressions of the poor Southerners he sees from the train?
4. What is Charley's experience in the battle of Bull Run?
5. Describe the horrible sights Charley encounters while marching over dead bodies into battle.
6. What happens to Lieutenant Olafson and what is Charley's reaction?
7. What is Charley's perception of the army once the initial excitement has worn off?
8. How is Charley caught up in the excitement of the possibility of a civil war?
9. What is the premise of this book?
10. Describe Charley's experience on the train to Manassas.
This section contains 892 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)