|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Charley contemplate when he sees the black people?
(a) What songs they sing
(b) What slavery is really like
(c) What they eat
(d) What religion they are
2. What is Charley's last name?
3. What blurs Charley's vision?
(d) Gun smoke
4. What prevents Charley from enlisting in the army?
(a) He is too small
(b) He cannot get his mother's permission
(c) He is too young
(d) He is flat-footed
5. Many of Charley's comrades are killed ____________________________.
(a) in one cannon blast
(b) in cold blood
(c) right in front of him
(d) before anyone on his side can even fire a shot
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Charley's rations that night?
2. Why do the men not get to practice shooting too much?
3. What is the name of the first battle Charley is in?
4. Charley wonders if the slaves ____________________ when the North wins the war.
5. How does Charley feel about the food in camp?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Charley feel about the position of the Union in the war?
2. What unusual sight does Charley see as he looks out over the battlefield that evening?
3. Describe the horrible sights Charley encounters while marching over dead bodies into battle.
4. How does the author show Charley's inexperience and immaturity during the battle?
5. What is the setting of the book?
6. What do the officers tell the men after the battle which Charley knows is a lie?
7. What happens to Lieutenant Olafson and what is Charley's reaction?
8. What is the obstacle to Charley's joining the army and how does he plan to overcome it?
9. What are Charley's impressions of the poor Southerners he sees from the train?
10. How do Charley and his mother come to terms with his going to war?
This section contains 880 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)