|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the date when the novel begins?
(a) June, 1965
(b) June, 1916
(c) June, 1951
(d) June, 1861
2. Which of the following is not something Charley desires if something bad should happen to him?
(a) Be with God
(b) Have clean morals
(c) Be in love with a strange girl
(d) Think uninfected thoughts
3. Where does Charley finally take cover?
(a) A grove of maple trees
(b) An old barn
(c) An abandoned house
(d) A chicken coop
4. Charley does not want to be stuck like a drummer boy or _______________.
(c) flag bearer
5. How does Charley perceive the enemy?
(b) In plain sight
(c) Running away
(d) Surrounding him
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Charley figure the person in #48 is?
2. Which of the following items does Charley's mother not pack for him to take with him?
3. How old does Charley say he is when he reaches Fort Snelling?
4. Many of Charley's comrades are killed ____________________________.
5. The war no longer seems ___________ to Charley and the other soldiers.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the battle end for Charley?
2. What unusual sight does Charley see as he looks out over the battlefield that evening?
3. What happens to Lieutenant Olafson and what is Charley's reaction?
4. How does Chapter 4 end?
5. Describe Charley's experience on the train to Manassas.
6. How does Charley feel about the position of the Union in the war?
7. What is the nature of the wound Charley sustains in Chapter 8?
8. Why does Charley find the job of slaughtering the horses so repugnant?
9. What is Charley's initial experience like at camp in Washington?
10. What is Charley's perception of the army once the initial excitement has worn off?
This section contains 904 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)