|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How soon will Charley and his comrades be expected to go back into battle?
(a) Later today
(c) A couple of days
(d) Next week
2. What is Charley's view of the Union cause?
(a) It is right
(b) He agrees with most of it
(c) He agrees with some of it
(d) He has no opinion
3. Which of the following does not fit with Charley's description of the train?
(a) Gourmet food
(c) Fancy appointments
(d) Leather seats
4. What happens to the person Charley decides to follow?
(a) He is beheaded by a bayonet
(b) He is shot in the back and falls dead
(c) He is captured
(d) He is blown up by a cannon blast
5. What is the significant event for Charley in Chapter 4?
(a) He returns home
(b) He gets married
(c) He is wounded
(d) He is in his first battle
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to the lieutenant after he talks to Charley?
2. Charley's mother advises him to _____________ before he gets shot.
3. Which of the following is not an appeal for Charley?
4. Who does Charley figure the person in #48 is?
5. What color is the water in the stream?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are Charley and some other men ordered to slaughter horses?
2. How is Charley caught up in the excitement of the possibility of a civil war?
3. What are some of the very familiar things that Charley experiences as he heads into this battle?
4. What job does a surgeon ask Charley to do?
5. What does Charley think as he watches the enemy soldiers fall and die?
6. In addition to his food, what does Charley take with him on a picnic by the river?
7. What should Charley's life be like now that he is 21-years-old?
8. What is Charley's perception of the army once the initial excitement has worn off?
9. Describe the horrible sights Charley encounters while marching over dead bodies into battle.
10. What unusual sight does Charley see as he looks out over the battlefield that evening?
This section contains 915 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)