|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is not something Charley desires if something bad should happen to him?
(a) Have clean morals
(b) Be in love with a strange girl
(c) Be with God
(d) Think uninfected thoughts
2. After the initial excitement, Charley finds camp to be _______________.
3. What happens on June 22, 1861?
(a) Charley is shot
(b) The war is over
(c) Charley goes AWOL
(d) Charley's unit is ordered to march to the river
4. What does a black lady give Charley at one train stop?
(a) A kiss
(b) A Bible
(c) A sweet roll
(d) A hanky
5. When officers tell the men they did a good job, Charley knows it is ________________.
(a) a lie
(b) partly true
(c) the honest truth
(d) a dream
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Charley decide to follow?
2. How soon will Charley and his comrades be expected to go back into battle?
3. What is the name of the town where Charley lives?
4. Why do the men not get to practice shooting too much?
5. What do the people do when the train passes through towns?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the obstacle to Charley's joining the army and how does he plan to overcome it?
2. What unusual sight does Charley see as he looks out over the battlefield that evening?
3. What do Charley and the other soldiers believe their role will be in the war, if there really is a war?
4. What are the men told will happen tomorrow and what does Charley feel about it?
5. How do Charley and his mother come to terms with his going to war?
6. How does Chapter 4 end?
7. What are Charley's impressions of the poor Southerners he sees from the train?
8. What is Charley's relationship with God during this battle?
9. When does Charley see black people for the first time and what are this thoughts?
10. Describe Charley's morning as he prepares for the second day of battle.
This section contains 790 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)