|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Charley wonders if the slaves ____________________ when the North wins the war.
(a) will get homes
(b) will get educations
(c) will get voters rights
(d) will be freed or not
2. Which of the following does not fit with Charley's description of the train?
(b) Leather seats
(c) Gourmet food
(d) Fancy appointments
3. What color is Charley's new flannel shirt?
4. How much would Charley earn as a soldier?
(a) $300 week
(b) $11 a month
(c) $10 week
(d) $1500 month
5. What happens to the man next to Charley?
(a) He faints
(b) His head is blown off
(c) He charges blindly ahead
(d) He turns and runs away
Short Answer Questions
1. What prevents Charley from enlisting in the army?
2. What is the date when the novel begins?
3. What sound does Charley find frightening?
4. What do the people do when the train passes through towns?
5. Charley's mother advises him to _____________ before he gets shot.
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Charley's impressions about riding the train?
2. Describe Charley's morning as he prepares for the second day of battle.
3. Describe the horrible sights Charley encounters while marching over dead bodies into battle.
4. What do Charley and the other soldiers believe their role will be in the war, if there really is a war?
5. How does the author show Charley's inexperience and immaturity during the battle?
6. How does Charley spend the night after his first day in battle?
7. What is Charley's perception of the army once the initial excitement has worn off?
8. What role does the issue of slavery play in Charley's perceptions about the war?
9. Describe the scenario of the black woman giving a sweet roll to Charley.
10. What happens to Lieutenant Olafson and what is Charley's reaction?
This section contains 878 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)