|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Charley does not want to be stuck like a drummer boy or _______________.
(c) flag bearer
2. What does Charley contemplate when he sees the black people?
(a) What they eat
(b) What slavery is really like
(c) What religion they are
(d) What songs they sing
3. The war no longer seems ___________ to Charley and the other soldiers.
4. What are Charley's rations that night?
(a) Cheese and berries
(b) Bacon and coffee
(c) Dried bread and raw salt pork
(d) Dried bread and berries
5. Where does Charley walk to in order to sign up for the army?
(a) Fort McKinley
(b) Fort Bragg
(c) Fort Walton
(d) Fort Snelling
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Charley figure the person in #48 is?
2. How old is Charley, the main character in the story?
3. How is an officer's horse killed?
4. When is Charley awakened?
5. The rifles are inaccurate and can seldom hit a target at ______________ yards.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the setting of the book?
2. What happens to Lieutenant Olafson and what is Charley's reaction?
3. How is Charley caught up in the excitement of the possibility of a civil war?
4. What is the obstacle to Charley's joining the army and how does he plan to overcome it?
5. What is the premise of this book?
6. How do Charley and his mother come to terms with his going to war?
7. What is the main content of Charley's mother's letters to him?
8. What role does the issue of slavery play in Charley's perceptions about the war?
9. How does Chapter 4 end?
10. When does Charley see black people for the first time and what are this thoughts?
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)