|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following did the Rebs not leave behind?
(c) Cook pots
2. Why does Charley go to a nearby stream?
(a) Fill his canteen
(b) Take a bath
(c) Wash his clothes
(d) Wash his hair
3. Where does Charley see his first black people?
(b) South Carolina
4. Where does Charley walk to in order to sign up for the army?
(a) Fort Bragg
(b) Fort Walton
(c) Fort Snelling
(d) Fort McKinley
5. What concerns Charley about his comrades' behavior?
(a) They don't write letters to their mothers
(b) Petty thefts
(c) They don't read the Bible
(d) Foul language and immoral thinking
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the officers tell the men to do now?
2. What does Charley's company realize after marching out onto the battlefield?
3. What is the name of the first battle Charley is in?
4. What does Charley contemplate when he sees the black people?
5. When is Charley awakened?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Charley and his mother come to terms with his going to war?
2. What do Charley and the other soldiers believe their role will be in the war, if there really is a war?
3. Describe the horrible sights Charley encounters while marching over dead bodies into battle.
4. What is Charley's induction experience at Fort Snelling?
5. What is Charley's relationship with God during this battle?
6. When does Charley see black people for the first time and what are this thoughts?
7. What is the setting of the book?
8. What are Charley's impressions of the poor Southerners he sees from the train?
9. Describe Charley's military training.
10. What is the obstacle to Charley's joining the army and how does he plan to overcome it?
This section contains 799 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)