|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Charley's mother advises him to _____________ before he gets shot.
(b) walk on home
(c) run to the rear
(d) practice more
2. What do the people do when the train passes through towns?
(a) Boo and hiss
(b) Cheer and wave
(d) Throw tomatoes
3. What does Charley feel like on the train?
4. Charley learns how to march and __________________.
(a) carry a rifle
(b) pitch a tent
(d) dress wounds
5. What do the soldiers do when they run out of bullets for practice?
(a) Read the Bible
(b) Go on scouting expeditions
(c) Practice marching
(d) Practice shooting and reloading with no bullets
Short Answer Questions
1. Many of Charley's comrades are killed ____________________________.
2. Charley wonders how the men can line up and wait __________________________.
3. How does Charley feel about the food in camp?
4. Charley is asked to hit a target at _____________ yards.
5. What is the name of the town where Charley lives?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the scenario of the black woman giving a sweet roll to Charley.
2. How is Charley caught up in the excitement of the possibility of a civil war?
3. What are Charley's impressions of the poor Southerners he sees from the train?
4. Describe Charley's military training.
5. What role does the issue of slavery play in Charley's perceptions about the war?
6. What is the main content of Charley's mother's letters to him?
7. What is the obstacle to Charley's joining the army and how does he plan to overcome it?
8. How do Charley and his mother come to terms with his going to war?
9. How does Charley spend the night after his first day in battle?
10. What is Charley's perception of the army once the initial excitement has worn off?
This section contains 835 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)