|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who drags the black lady back into the house?
(a) A soldier
(b) A black man
(c) A white woman
(d) A minister
2. What is the date when the novel begins?
(a) June, 1916
(b) June, 1951
(c) June, 1861
(d) June, 1965
3. Charley wonders if the slaves ____________________ when the North wins the war.
(a) will get voters rights
(b) will get homes
(c) will be freed or not
(d) will get educations
4. How does Charley convince his mother to allow him to join the army?
(a) There is no real danger
(b) His father would have wanted him to
(c) It is the patriotic thing to do
(d) He owes it to Minnesota
5. What is the significant event for Charley in Chapter 4?
(a) He is wounded
(b) He returns home
(c) He is in his first battle
(d) He gets married
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens on June 22, 1861?
2. When officers tell the men they did a good job, Charley knows it is ________________.
3. What is Charley's opinion of the other soldiers?
4. In what state does Charley live?
5. Who does Charley figure the person in #48 is?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Charley spend the night after his first day in battle?
2. What is the state of Charley's mental and physical health?
3. What type of food is available to the soldiers in camp?
4. How does the Battle of Gettysburg begin for Charley and his company?
5. How does Chapter 4 end?
6. What is Charley's relationship with God during this battle?
7. What disease does Charley come down with while waiting in camp?
8. What role does the issue of slavery play in Charley's perceptions about the war?
9. What are some of the very familiar things that Charley experiences as he heads into this battle?
10. How do the men get whiskey?
This section contains 858 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)