|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does a black lady give Charley at one train stop?
(a) A sweet roll
(b) A hanky
(c) A Bible
(d) A kiss
2. Which of the following did the Rebs not leave behind?
(a) Cook pots
3. What does Charley not note about the dead soldiers?
(a) They are smiling
(b) They lie at strange angles
(c) They are covered with flies
(d) They are beginning to bloat
4. Which of the following is not part of the uniform Charley is issued?
(a) Gray socks
(d) Black pants
5. What color is Charley's new flannel shirt?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Charley see his first black people?
2. What does Charley call his mother?
3. Why does Charley go to a nearby stream?
4. How soon will Charley and his comrades be expected to go back into battle?
5. What happens to the person Charley decides to follow?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Charley caught up in the excitement of the possibility of a civil war?
2. What are the men told will happen tomorrow and what does Charley feel about it?
3. Why is Charley uncomfortable with the immoral behavior of his fellow soldiers?
4. What is the setting of the book?
5. Describe Charley's morning as he prepares for the second day of battle.
6. What do Charley and the other soldiers believe their role will be in the war, if there really is a war?
7. What do the officers tell the men after the battle which Charley knows is a lie?
8. What is the main content of Charley's mother's letters to him?
9. Describe how Charley is protected by dead bodies during the battle.
10. Describe Charley's military training.
This section contains 836 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)