|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What protects Charley from an onslaught of bullets?
(a) A shack
(b) Tree stumps
(d) Dead bodies
2. What are the lumps on the ground that Charley sees on the battlefield?
(c) Dead bodies
3. In what war does Charley want to fight?
(a) World War I
(b) Vietnam War
(c) Korean War
(d) Civil War
4. How old is Charley, the main character in the story?
5. Many of Charley's comrades are killed ____________________________.
(a) right in front of him
(b) in cold blood
(c) before anyone on his side can even fire a shot
(d) in one cannon blast
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the people do when the train passes through towns?
2. Charley's mother advises him to _____________ before he gets shot.
3. Charley does not want to be stuck like a drummer boy or _______________.
4. What does Charley notice about the black people he sees?
5. What concerns Charley about his comrades' behavior?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Charley's impressions of the poor Southerners he sees from the train?
2. How does Charley spend the night after his first day in battle?
3. What is the obstacle to Charley's joining the army and how does he plan to overcome it?
4. What happens to Lieutenant Olafson and what is Charley's reaction?
5. When does Charley see black people for the first time and what are this thoughts?
6. What is Charley's relationship with God during this battle?
7. Describe Charley's morning as he prepares for the second day of battle.
8. What do the officers tell the men after the battle which Charley knows is a lie?
9. How does Charley feel about the position of the Union in the war?
10. How does Chapter 4 end?
This section contains 786 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)