|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Charley go to a nearby stream?
(a) Wash his clothes
(b) Take a bath
(c) Wash his hair
(d) Fill his canteen
2. What do the people do when the train passes through towns?
(a) Cheer and wave
(b) Boo and hiss
(d) Throw tomatoes
3. Charley does not want to be stuck like a drummer boy or _______________.
(c) flag bearer
4. What does Charley's company realize after marching out onto the battlefield?
(a) The Rebs had left in the night
(b) The cannons have been left behind
(c) A thunderstorm is coming
(d) They forgot their ammunition
5. Which of the following items does Charley's mother not pack for him to take with him?
(b) Roasted chicken
(c) Apple pie
(d) Cold potatoes
Short Answer Questions
1. What do girls in the towns give the soldiers?
2. Where does Charley's company board a train?
3. Charley and his company board a boat bound for ______________.
4. What happens on June 22, 1861?
5. What blurs Charley's vision?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the officers tell the men after the battle which Charley knows is a lie?
2. What is the setting of the book?
3. What is the main content of Charley's mother's letters to him?
4. When does Charley see black people for the first time and what are this thoughts?
5. How does Charley spend the night after his first day in battle?
6. What is the premise of this book?
7. Describe how Charley is protected by dead bodies during the battle.
8. What is Charley's experience in the battle of Bull Run?
9. What is Charley's perception of the army once the initial excitement has worn off?
10. What happens to Lieutenant Olafson and what is Charley's reaction?
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)