|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Charley think of as he looks out at the battlefield?
(a) Running away
(b) His brother
(c) Reading the Bible
(d) His mother
2. How does Charley perceive the enemy?
(a) Surrounding him
(c) In plain sight
(d) Running away
3. What is the name of the first battle Charley is in?
(a) Bull Run
4. Who does Charley decide to follow?
(a) An officer on horseback
(b) His sergeant
(c) The flag bearer
(d) A man who is marching toward the rear
5. When is Charley awakened?
(b) Just before dawn
(d) Mid afternoon
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following items does Charley's mother not pack for him to take with him?
2. What is the name of the town where Charley lives?
3. What do the soldiers have to march over as they head out to the battlefield?
4. What do the officers tell the men to do now?
5. For Charley at this point, the war is about ___________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the Battle of Gettysburg begin for Charley and his company?
2. What is the foreshadowing of the meadow in Chapter 8?
3. How does the author show Charley's inexperience and immaturity during the battle?
4. What is the setting of the book?
5. In addition to his food, what does Charley take with him on a picnic by the river?
6. Explain the range of Charley's thoughts as he sits by the river.
7. Describe the scenario of the black woman giving a sweet roll to Charley.
8. Describe Charley's unexpected and pleasant encounter with a Confederate soldier.
9. What is the state of Charley's mental and physical health?
10. How does Charley feel about the position of the Union in the war?
This section contains 916 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)