|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For Charley at this point, the war is about ___________________.
(a) right and wrong
(b) preservation of the Union
2. What do the soldiers have to march over as they head out to the battlefield?
(b) Dead soldiers
3. Charley wonders how the men can line up and wait __________________________.
(a) for so long
(b) for daybreak
(c) for commands
(d) to be slaughtered
4. How old is Charley, the main character in the story?
5. Charley learns how to march and __________________.
(a) pitch a tent
(c) carry a rifle
(d) dress wounds
Short Answer Questions
1. What does a black lady give Charley at one train stop?
2. Charley thinks the train ride is ______________________.
3. How long is the war supposed to last?
4. What does Charley call his mother?
5. What happens to the lieutenant after he talks to Charley?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Charley's impressions about riding the train?
2. Describe Charley's morning as he prepares for the second day of battle.
3. When does Charley see black people for the first time and what are this thoughts?
4. What is the setting of the book?
5. Describe how Charley is protected by dead bodies during the battle.
6. What is Charley's experience in the battle of Bull Run?
7. How does Chapter 4 end?
8. How does Charley spend the night after his first day in battle?
9. What is Charley's perception of the army once the initial excitement has worn off?
10. What is Charley's relationship with God during this battle?
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)