|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to the lieutenant after he talks to Charley?
(a) He faints
(b) He rides away on his horse
(c) He throws up
(d) He is shot dead
2. How does Charley perceive the enemy?
(a) Running away
(c) In plain sight
(d) Surrounding him
3. Where does Charley walk to in order to sign up for the army?
(a) Fort Walton
(b) Fort McKinley
(c) Fort Bragg
(d) Fort Snelling
4. What is Charley's view of the Union cause?
(a) He agrees with some of it
(b) He agrees with most of it
(c) He has no opinion
(d) It is right
5. The rifles are inaccurate and can seldom hit a target at ______________ yards.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the first battle Charley is in?
2. What do the soldiers do when they run out of bullets for practice?
3. What blurs Charley's vision?
4. Where does Charley finally take cover?
5. When is Charley awakened?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Charley and the other soldiers believe their role will be in the war, if there really is a war?
2. How do Charley and his mother come to terms with his going to war?
3. Describe the horrible sights Charley encounters while marching over dead bodies into battle.
4. What role does the issue of slavery play in Charley's perceptions about the war?
5. Describe Charley's morning as he prepares for the second day of battle.
6. What happens to Lieutenant Olafson and what is Charley's reaction?
7. Describe how Charley is protected by dead bodies during the battle.
8. How does Charley spend the night after his first day in battle?
9. What is the setting of the book?
10. When does Charley see black people for the first time and what are this thoughts?
This section contains 821 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)