|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following does not fit with Charley's description of the train?
(b) Leather seats
(c) Fancy appointments
(d) Gourmet food
2. Where does Charley see his first black people?
(c) South Carolina
3. What blurs Charley's vision?
(a) Gun smoke
4. What do the soldiers have to march over as they head out to the battlefield?
(a) Dead soldiers
5. How does Charley feel about the food in camp?
(a) It is pretty good
(b) It is horrible
(c) It is tolerable
(d) It is the best he's ever had
Short Answer Questions
1. Charley wonders how the men can line up and wait __________________________.
2. What happens to the man next to Charley?
3. What comforts does Charley especially appreciate on the train?
4. What is the date when the novel begins?
5. How much would Charley earn as a soldier?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Charley spend the night after his first day in battle?
2. What are Charley's impressions of the poor Southerners he sees from the train?
3. What do the officers tell the men after the battle which Charley knows is a lie?
4. Describe how Charley is protected by dead bodies during the battle.
5. How is Charley caught up in the excitement of the possibility of a civil war?
6. What is Charley's experience in the battle of Bull Run?
7. Describe Charley's experience on the train to Manassas.
8. What is the premise of this book?
9. What are Charley's impressions about riding the train?
10. How does Chapter 4 end?
This section contains 774 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)