|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Charley feels he is old, not in age but in _______________.
2. Which of the following does Charley not say in a letter to his mother?
(a) He is coming home soon
(b) He cannot come home
(c) He was scared
(d) He had been in a battle
3. At least one-half of the men from _________________ die from some form of contagious disease.
(b) New York
4. What does Charley buy to eat?
(a) A dozen sweet rolls
(c) Two apple pies
(d) Roast beef sandwiches
5. Charley wonders if the Rebel soldiers are brave or ____________.
(c) in a trance.
6. In what direction does the Rebel army begin to march?
(a) Toward Charley's position.
7. For every one man who has died in battle, __________ men have died of dysentery.
8. What does Charley feel his fate is?
(a) He will die in battle
(b) He will be dishonorably discharged
(c) He will desert soon
(d) He will be a war hero
9. Which of the following is not part of the typical daily rations?
(c) Beans and salt pork
10. Charley cannot bring himself to shoot at the ______________.
(b) old men
(c) young boys
11. What gives the men from Minnesota an advantage in keeping themselves healthy?
(a) They get food from home
(b) They take vitamins
(c) They go to sleep early
(d) They know about living in the country
12. What is the state of the war?
(a) It is in a truce.
(b) The Union has won.
(c) The Confederates have won.
(d) It is still raging.
13. What have become symbols of death for Charley?
(d) Pine trees
14. Why does Charley go to the river?
(a) To fish.
(b) To wash his clothes.
(c) For a picnic.
(d) To meditate.
15. Where is Charley in Chapter 10?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Charley realize as the men get closer to the city?
2. What do the men do while waiting for the next battle?
3. Charley basically acts like ___________________.
4. Charley is not old in years but in _____________________.
5. How does Charley feel about the dying enemy soldiers?
This section contains 385 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)