|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Charley cannot bring himself to shoot at the ______________.
(a) young boys
(d) old men
2. What does Charley do with the gun?
(a) Throws it in the river.
(b) Puts it down.
(c) Buries it.
(d) Takes it apart.
3. About what does Charley think at the end of the novel?
(c) The nice things that happened at the beginning of the war.
(d) Abraham Lincoln.
4. What is the state of Charley's health?
(a) He has lost an arm.
(b) He has cancer.
(c) He is blind in one eye.
(d) He is disabled.
5. The soldiers create pathways in their camp and name them after ______________________.
(b) towns in Minnesota
6. What type of combat ensues?
7. The men begin their march south toward the city of ________________.
8. What occupies Charley's thoughts now?
(a) The war.
(b) The farm.
(c) Pretty girls.
(d) His mother.
9. How many dead bodies does Charley see piled up near the medical tent?
(a) Over 500
(b) Over 50
(c) Over 1000
(d) Over 200
10. What is scarce or nonexistent in the camp?
11. What does Charley realize as the men get closer to the city?
(a) There are many guns
(b) He is going to desert
(c) The South is going to win the war
(d) He is going to die
12. From whom were the men required to buy their whiskey?
(a) Army supplies
(b) Home breweries
(c) Local bars
13. What does Charley contemplate as he sits on the riverbank?
(a) Pretty girls.
(c) His mother.
14. What happens to men who are caught deserting?
(a) They have to dig latrines
(b) They are given hard labor
(c) They are shot
(d) They are sent home
15. Charley basically acts like ___________________.
(a) a madman.
(b) there is no tomorrow.
(c) he is defeated.
(d) he is king of the world.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following does Charley not think when he looks at the item carried by the Confederate soldier?
2. A portion of the ____________ in Charley's regiment is destroyed.
3. What do the men do while waiting for the next battle?
4. Which of the following is not part of the typical daily rations?
5. What are the enlisted men eventually allowed to have for medicinal purposes?
This section contains 379 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)