|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What have become symbols of death for Charley?
(d) Pine trees
2. What happens to men who are caught deserting?
(a) They are sent home
(b) They have to dig latrines
(c) They are given hard labor
(d) They are shot
3. Where is Charley standing at the beginning of Chapter 9?
(a) Top of a hill.
(b) Top of a meadow.
(c) Top of a mountain.
(d) In a stream.
4. Rumor has it that which entire regiment has deserted the army?
(d) New York
5. What weapon are the men told to use in the heat of battle?
6. What type of combat ensues?
7. What protection will Charley have behind him in the upcoming battle?
(c) More Union regiments.
8. What do the men do while waiting for the next battle?
(a) Drill and wait
(b) Volunteer at the Red Cross
(c) Visit hospitals
(d) Visit whorehouses
9. About what does Charley think at the end of the novel?
(b) The nice things that happened at the beginning of the war.
(c) Abraham Lincoln.
10. Charley feels he is old, not in age but in _______________.
11. The men begin their march south toward the city of ________________.
12. The men are issued uniforms of heavy blue wool and ___________________.
(a) a red bandana
(b) a black leather belt
(c) a red hat
(d) a red shirt
13. What is the state of Charley's health?
(a) He has lost an arm.
(b) He is disabled.
(c) He is blind in one eye.
(d) He has cancer.
14. What do the soldiers build when they return to camp in Washington?
(a) Log shelters
(b) Train station
(d) Veterans homes
15. As Charley waits for medical attention, he sees a large stack of __________________.
(d) amputated arms and legs
Short Answer Questions
1. Charley has a ____________ that was carried by a Confederate officer.
2. Where is Charley in Chapter 10?
3. What gives the men from Minnesota an advantage in keeping themselves healthy?
4. What protection will Charley have in front of him in the upcoming battle?
5. What weapons do the men use at this point of the battle?
This section contains 376 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)