|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does a black lady give Charley at one train stop?
(a) A sweet roll
(b) A Bible
(c) A kiss
(d) A hanky
2. What do the soldiers have to march over as they head out to the battlefield?
(c) Dead soldiers
3. Which of the following is not an appeal for Charley?
(a) Getting a musket
(b) Getting a uniform
(c) Fighting like a man
(d) Marching in the heat
4. Where does Charley's company board a train?
(a) Minneapolis, Minnesota
(b) Chicago, Illinois
(c) La Crosse, Wisconsin
(d) Peoria, Illinois
5. How long is the war supposed to last?
(a) At least two years
(b) A couple years
(c) Probably three years
(d) A month or two
6. What happens to the man next to Charley?
(a) He turns and runs away
(b) He faints
(c) His head is blown off
(d) He charges blindly ahead
7. Why do the men not get to practice shooting too much?
(a) They do not want to alert the enemy to their locations
(b) There is a shortage of guns
(c) The soldiers need other training first
(d) There is a shortage of ammunition
8. What does Charley do when he finds protection?
9. What prevents Charley from enlisting in the army?
(a) He cannot get his mother's permission
(b) He is flat-footed
(c) He is too young
(d) He is too small
10. What does Charley not note about the dead soldiers?
(a) They are smiling
(b) They lie at strange angles
(c) They are covered with flies
(d) They are beginning to bloat
11. What do girls in the towns give the soldiers?
(b) Chicken dinners
(d) Sweets and hankies
12. What does Charley contemplate when he sees the black people?
(a) What songs they sing
(b) What slavery is really like
(c) What they eat
(d) What religion they are
13. What does Charley think of as he looks out at the battlefield?
(a) His mother
(b) His brother
(c) Reading the Bible
(d) Running away
14. What does Charley call his mother?
15. How does Charley perceive the enemy?
(a) Running away
(c) In plain sight
(d) Surrounding him
Short Answer Questions
1. When is Charley awakened?
2. Which of the following is not something Charley desires if something bad should happen to him?
3. What happens to the lieutenant after he talks to Charley?
4. What did local families do the previous day?
5. What is the significant event for Charley in Chapter 4?
This section contains 434 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)