|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Charley not note about the dead soldiers?
(a) They are covered with flies
(b) They are smiling
(c) They are beginning to bloat
(d) They lie at strange angles
2. What is the significant event for Charley in Chapter 4?
(a) He is wounded
(b) He is in his first battle
(c) He gets married
(d) He returns home
3. Many of Charley's comrades are killed ____________________________.
(a) right in front of him
(b) in cold blood
(c) in one cannon blast
(d) before anyone on his side can even fire a shot
4. For Charley at this point, the war is about ___________________.
(c) right and wrong
(d) preservation of the Union
5. What do girls in the towns give the soldiers?
(a) Sweets and hankies
(d) Chicken dinners
6. What is Charley's last name?
7. What happens to the person Charley decides to follow?
(a) He is blown up by a cannon blast
(b) He is shot in the back and falls dead
(c) He is beheaded by a bayonet
(d) He is captured
8. What protects Charley from an onslaught of bullets?
(a) Dead bodies
(b) Tree stumps
(c) A shack
9. What is the name of the town where Charley lives?
10. What does Charley's company realize after marching out onto the battlefield?
(a) The cannons have been left behind
(b) They forgot their ammunition
(c) A thunderstorm is coming
(d) The Rebs had left in the night
11. After the initial excitement, Charley finds camp to be _______________.
12. Charley does not want to be stuck like a drummer boy or _______________.
(b) flag bearer
13. Why does Charley go to a nearby stream?
(a) Fill his canteen
(b) Wash his hair
(c) Wash his clothes
(d) Take a bath
14. How soon will Charley and his comrades be expected to go back into battle?
(b) A couple of days
(c) Later today
(d) Next week
15. Where does Charley see his first black people?
(d) South Carolina
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the soldiers do when they run out of bullets for practice?
2. The war no longer seems ___________ to Charley and the other soldiers.
3. What is Charley's opinion of the other soldiers?
4. What is Charley's view of the Union cause?
5. Why do the men not get to practice shooting too much?
This section contains 447 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)