Short Essay Questions
The 60 short essay questions listed in this section require a one to two sentence answer. They ask students to demonstrate a deeper understanding of the text. Students must describe what they've read, rather than just recall it.
Short Essay Question - Chapter 1, June 1861
1. What is the premise of this book?
2. What is the setting of the book?
3. How is Charley caught up in the excitement of the possibility of a civil war?
4. What is the obstacle to Charley's joining the army and how does he plan to overcome it?
5. How do Charley and his mother come to terms with his going to war?
6. How does Charley feel about the position of the Union in the war?
This section contains 803 words|
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)