Short Essay Questions
1. What is the premise of this book?
2. What is the setting of the book?
3. How is Charley caught up in the excitement of the possibility of a civil war?
4. What is the obstacle to Charley's joining the army and how does he plan to overcome it?
5. How do Charley and his mother come to terms with his going to war?
6. How does Charley feel about the position of the Union in the war?
7. What is Charley's induction experience at Fort Snelling?
8. What is Charley's perception of the army once the initial excitement has worn off?
9. Describe Charley's military training.
10. What is the main content of Charley's mother's letters to him?
11. What do Charley and the other soldiers believe their role will be in the war, if there really is a war?
12. What are Charley's impressions about riding the train?
13. Describe Charley's experience on the train to Manassas.
This section contains 690 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)