|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the David Beckham boy keep his belongings?
2. What color is Nepali dirt described as in "A Handful of Fog"?
3. Whom does the tea vendor give tea to even if she doesn't have money until the next day, according to the narrator in "The Street Boy"?
4. Lakshmi equates the cost of her services at Happiness House with the cost of what item from Bajai Sita's store in her village?
5. Who did Monica give a bottle of nail polish to last week, according to the narrator in "Understanding Monica"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Monica return to Happiness House? What does she relate of her experiences while she was gone?
2. What causes Lakshmi to become injured in her first days at Happiness House?
3. Why is Lakshmi relocated to a different room at Happiness House in "Changes"?
4. What does Lakshmi experience when she first leaves the locked room at Happiness House?
5. How are the characters of Pushpa and Anita described when Lakshmi first meets them?
6. How is Western culture presented in Section 3? How do the characters in the story perceive Western culture?
7. How are children perceived at Happiness House? How many of the prostitutes have children?
8. How does Shahanna respond when Lakshmi tells her about her encounter with the American?
9. How does Monica describe her "accomplishments" at Happiness House in "Understanding Monica"?
10. How is Lakshmi's new room described in "In My New Room"? With whom does she share the room?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and analyze the characters of Bajai Sita and Auntie Bimla in the narrative. What is Bajai Sita’s position in Lakshmi’s village? Why does Auntie Bimla agree to take Lakshmi with her? What are the underlying motivations (objectives) of these characters?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the character of Lakshmi as the protagonist of Sold. How old is Lakshmi when the reader meets her? How would you describe her personality? What does Lakshmi look like? How do you relate to this character? How does Lakshmi evolve in the course of the story?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the character of “Uncle Husband” in the novel. How is this character’s appearance described? What role does this character play in the human trafficking underworld? Why does he insist that Lakshmi call him both “Uncle” and “Husband”? What is the significance of these titles to Lakshmi? Does Lakshmi trust this character? Why or why not?
This section contains 907 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)