|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What caused the girl with the half-frowning face to look as she does?
2. What does Harish give to Jeena for the festival of brothers and sisters?
3. What are the four "American words" that Lakshmi has learned in "A Strange Vocabulary"?
4. How much money does Lakshmi discover her customers are paying for her in "The Customers"?
5. Whom does the tea vendor give tea to even if she doesn't have money until the next day, according to the narrator in "The Street Boy"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes Lakshmi to become injured in her first days at Happiness House?
2. How has Lakshmi's self-image changed in Section 4? How does she compare herself to the other girls at Happiness House?
3. What gifts do Lakshmi and Harish exchange during the Festival of Brothers and Sisters?
4. How do the girls at Happiness House react to Shahanna's disappearance in Section 4?
5. How is Lakshmi's encounter with her first American customer described in Section 4?
6. What is referred to in the title of "A Small Danger"? What does Lakshmi do with this danger?
7. How are the characters of Pushpa and Anita described when Lakshmi first meets them?
8. What happens after Lakshmi has been starved and given no water for five days at Happiness House?
9. How does Monica describe her "accomplishments" at Happiness House in "Understanding Monica"?
10. Why is Lakshmi relocated to a different room at Happiness House in "Changes"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the themes of poverty, desperation, and illness in Sold. How is poverty a driving force that leads children into the human trafficking market? How does author Patricia McCormick develop the theme of poverty in the novel through symbolism, imagery, character, and setting?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the characters of Monica, Anita, and Pushpa in the novel. What relationships does Lakshmi form with each of these characters? What happens to each of these characters in the story? What has brought each of these girls to Happiness House?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss the character of Mumtaz in Sold. What role does Mumtaz play in the underground human trafficking market? How does Mumtaz establish control over the girls that she “owns” at Happiness House? How does Mumtaz avoid arrest?
This section contains 895 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)