|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Mumtaz when the raid occurs in "Raid"?
2. How much money does Mumtaz say Lakshmi must work off before she can go home in "Changes"?
3. What does Shahanna tell Lakshmi to do with her shawl when she must bring a dirty man to her bed?
4. For how many days has Pushpa been ill in bed in the beginning of "Beyond Words"?
5. What does Anita say happened to the new girl that was brought to Lakshmi's previous room in "Everything I Need to Know Now"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Lakshmi describe her perceptions of herself in "Am I Pretty?"
2. What is referred to in the title of "A Small Danger"? What does Lakshmi do with this danger?
3. Why is Lakshmi relocated to a different room at Happiness House in "Changes"?
4. How do the girls at Happiness House react to Shahanna's disappearance in Section 4?
5. What does Lakshmi experience when she first leaves the locked room at Happiness House?
6. How does Shahanna respond when Lakshmi tells her about her encounter with the American?
7. How is Western culture presented in Section 3? How do the characters in the story perceive Western culture?
8. What gifts do Lakshmi and Harish exchange during the Festival of Brothers and Sisters?
9. How does Monica describe her "accomplishments" at Happiness House in "Understanding Monica"?
10. How has Lakshmi's self-image changed in Section 4? How does she compare herself to the other girls at Happiness House?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss the character of Lakshmi’s stepfather in the narrative. Why does Lakshmi’s stepfather not work in the factories like the other men his age? How long has Ama been married to Lakshmi’s stepfather? Why is Lakshmi’s stepfather a hindrance to the family financially?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss the character of Mumtaz in Sold. What role does Mumtaz play in the underground human trafficking market? How does Mumtaz establish control over the girls that she “owns” at Happiness House? How does Mumtaz avoid arrest?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the themes of sexism, disgrace, and humiliation in Sold. What are Lakshmi’s impressions when she observes the woman whose head has been publicly shamed upon arriving in India? How much do you think culture and religion play a role in gender equality in the narrative?
This section contains 893 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)