|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Lakshmi equates the cost of her services at Happiness House with the cost of what item from Bajai Sita's store in her village?
2. How much money does Lakshmi discover her customers are paying for her in "The Customers"?
3. What number is on the boy's David Beckham shirt?
4. How much money does Shahanna say Mumtaz charges the girls for weekly rent for their bed and pillow in "Mathematics"?
5. Where is Mumtaz when the raid occurs in "Raid"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Shahanna respond when Lakshmi tells her about her encounter with the American?
2. How are children perceived at Happiness House? How many of the prostitutes have children?
3. Why does Monica return to Happiness House? What does she relate of her experiences while she was gone?
4. What causes Lakshmi to become injured in her first days at Happiness House?
5. Why is Lakshmi relocated to a different room at Happiness House in "Changes"?
6. What are the repercussions when Lakshmi becomes ill in "The Cost of a Cure"?
7. How has Lakshmi's self-image changed in Section 4? How does she compare herself to the other girls at Happiness House?
8. What does Lakshmi experience when she first leaves the locked room at Happiness House?
9. How does Monica describe her "accomplishments" at Happiness House in "Understanding Monica"?
10. What is referred to in the title of "A Small Danger"? What does Lakshmi do with this danger?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the themes of poverty, desperation, and illness in Sold. How is poverty a driving force that leads children into the human trafficking market? How does author Patricia McCormick develop the theme of poverty in the novel through symbolism, imagery, character, and setting?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Lakshmi’s relationship with her mother, Ama, in the narrative. What does Ama teach Lakshmi about a woman’s roles and duties? How does Ama perceive the plight and suffering of women within her culture?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the themes of sexism, disgrace, and humiliation in Sold. What are Lakshmi’s impressions when she observes the woman whose head has been publicly shamed upon arriving in India? How much do you think culture and religion play a role in gender equality in the narrative?
This section contains 826 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)