|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who runs from the room sobbing as Pushpa prepares to leave Happiness House in "A Word Too Small"?
2. What is the name of the half-frowning girl at Happiness House?
3. What does Lakshmi describe the smell of cooking onions representing to her in "A Secret"?
4. When Shahanna is teaching Lakshmi tricks with her shawl in "Everything I Need to Know Now," what does she say to do in order to bring the shy men to her bed?
5. Who is the girl at Happiness House that gets the most customers?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Monica return to Happiness House? What does she relate of her experiences while she was gone?
2. How are the characters of Pushpa and Anita described when Lakshmi first meets them?
3. How does Monica describe her "accomplishments" at Happiness House in "Understanding Monica"?
4. How has Lakshmi's self-image changed in Section 4? How does she compare herself to the other girls at Happiness House?
5. How is Lakshmi's encounter with her first American customer described in Section 4?
6. Why is Lakshmi relocated to a different room at Happiness House in "Changes"?
7. How does Lakshmi's relationship with Harish develop in Section 3?
8. What does Lakshmi experience when she first leaves the locked room at Happiness House?
9. What happens after Lakshmi has been starved and given no water for five days at Happiness House?
10. How is Lakshmi's new room described in "In My New Room"? With whom does she share the room?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Lakshmi’s journey from her home village to Happiness House. Where does Lakshmi go? How does she travel? What are her perceptions of the new worlds she encounters after leaving her home?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the festivals surrounding Tihar. When does the “Festival of Lights” occur? What customs surround this celebration? What does the festival signify for the villagers that live on Lakshmi’s mountain?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the character of Gita in the novel. How long ago was Gita sent to the city to work as a maid? How has her family benefited from Gita’s work? How does Lakshmi feel about the absence of her friend? Do you think that Gita really went to work as a maid, or do you think she was sold into slavery as well? Why?
This section contains 921 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)