|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has been left on a table for Lakshmi when she awakens in "One of Them"?
2. What does Lakshmi see Mumtaz doing with the policeman in "Police"?
3. Who is the coughing woman that shares a room with Lakshmi at Happiness House?
4. How much money does Shahanna say Mumtaz charges the girls for weekly rent for their bed and pillow in "Mathematics"?
5. What does Monica leave for Lakshmi when she leaves Happiness House?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Lakshmi describe her feelings regarding Pushpa's son in "An Ordinary Boy"?
2. What does Lakshmi experience when she first leaves the locked room at Happiness House?
3. How does Harish describe Americans to Lakshmi in "A Strange Vocabulary"?
4. What gifts do Lakshmi and Harish exchange during the Festival of Brothers and Sisters?
5. How has Lakshmi's self-image changed in Section 4? How does she compare herself to the other girls at Happiness House?
6. How is Western culture presented in Section 3? How do the characters in the story perceive Western culture?
7. How do the girls at Happiness House react to Shahanna's disappearance in Section 4?
8. How is Lakshmi's situation explained to her by Shahanna in "Everything I Need to Know Now"?
9. How is Lakshmi's new room described in "In My New Room"? With whom does she share the room?
10. What deal does Mumtaz make with Pushpa in Section 4? What becomes of Pushpa?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the setting of Nepal in Sold. Where in Nepal does the protagonist live? What is the population of Nepal? What countries border it? How would you describe the geography of the region? What is the climate like?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the character of “Uncle Husband” in the novel. How is this character’s appearance described? What role does this character play in the human trafficking underworld? Why does he insist that Lakshmi call him both “Uncle” and “Husband”? What is the significance of these titles to Lakshmi? Does Lakshmi trust this character? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the character of Gita in the novel. How long ago was Gita sent to the city to work as a maid? How has her family benefited from Gita’s work? How does Lakshmi feel about the absence of her friend? Do you think that Gita really went to work as a maid, or do you think she was sold into slavery as well? Why?
This section contains 920 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)