|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What color does Lakshmi describe her mother's skin as in "Something Beautiful"?
2. What kind of roof does Lakshmi's family have on their hut in the beginning of the novel?
(a) A thatch roof.
(b) A shingled-roof.
(c) A glass roof.
(d) A tin roof.
3. What does the bus smell like, according to Lakshmi in "On the Bus"?
(a) "Stale bread and old shoes."
(b) "Rotting meat and garbage."
(c) "Pipe smoke and incense."
(d) "Onions and curry and cigarette smoke."
4. Into what country does Lakshmi cross with Uncle Husband in the narrative?
5. After how many days of her punishment from Mumtaz does Lakshmi say she has stopped dreaming?
(a) After 5 days.
(b) After 2 days.
(c) After 3 days.
(d) After 10 days.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lakshmi describe brushing her teeth with in "The New Student"?
2. What color is the dress that Auntie gives to Lakshmi in "New Clothes"?
3. What disability does Lakshmi describe her stepfather having in "The Difference Between a Son and a Daughter"?
4. Who is Lakshmi's friend who has gone to work as a maid in the city to support her family?
5. What has been done to the woman that Uncle Husband says has been punished for running away from her husband in "Disgraced"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What takes place in "A Trade"? What is the amount of money that is settled upon?
2. How is Lakshmi punished when she bites the old man in "The Old Man"?
3. Describe the impact of Lakshmi's journey with Auntie on her perception of her surroundings and home. Why do you think Lakshmi is taken on this journey in the manner she is taken?
4. How is Lakshmi's family described in "A Tin Roof"? With whom does Lakshmi live?
5. What possessions does Lakshmi describe in "What I Carry"?
6. What are sons and daughters compared to in "The Difference between a Son and a Daughter"?
7. How is irony employed as a significant literary device in Sections 1 and 2 of the novel?
8. How is the economy of Lakshmi's village described in "Calendar"?
9. What does a tin roof symbolize for Lakshmi in the novel?
10. Who is Gita? What is Lakshmi's relationship with Gita in the narrative?
This section contains 948 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)