|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who gave Lakshmi the notebook that she carries in her pack as she makes her way with Auntie?
(a) Her teacher.
(b) Her sister.
(c) Her mother.
(d) Her father.
2. What item does Lakshmi describe Gita's father having purchased since Gita went to work as a maid in the city?
(a) A new horse.
(b) A new pair of spectacles.
(c) A new goat.
(d) A new pair of trousers.
3. What food does Uncle Husband get for Lakshmi during a stop on the train?
(a) A roti.
(b) An apple.
(c) A mango.
(d) A bowl of rice.
4. What name does the turnip-nosed man refer to Auntie as in "Uncle Husband"?
5. What is the name of Lakshmi's black-and-white speckled goat that follows her at home?
Short Answer Questions
1. Until what age does Lakshmi's mother tell her to feed a son at her breast if she should have one in "Everything I Need to Know"?
2. What does Lakshmi's mother do as she serves her husband dinner each night in "Something Beautiful"?
3. What does Lakshmi's stepfather carry as he walks with her to Bajai Sita's store in "A Trade"?
4. What color does Lakshmi describe her mother's hair as in "Something Beautiful"?
5. Who is Lakshmi's friend who has gone to work as a maid in the city to support her family?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are the themes of corruption and gender inequality illustrated in Section 2 of the narrative?
2. How does Lakshmi describe her journey in "A New World"?
3. Who is Lakshmi promised to marry when she comes of age? Why does she not marry this character?
4. Who is described in "The New Student"? What is Lakshmi's relationship with this character?
5. How is the economy of Lakshmi's village described in "Calendar"?
6. Who is Gita? What is Lakshmi's relationship with Gita in the narrative?
7. What custom does Lakshmi partake in when she begins menstruation in "First Blood"?
8. How does Lakshmi describe her village's religious beliefs in "Something Beautiful"?
9. What are sons and daughters compared to in "The Difference between a Son and a Daughter"?
10. What is symbolized and foreshadowed by the woman who has been publicly shamed when Lakshmi gets off the train in India?
This section contains 940 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)