|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Uncle Husband give to Lakshmi after they have crossed the border in "A Reward"?
(a) A new dress.
(b) 100 rupees.
(c) 50 rupees.
(d) A handful of sweets.
2. What name has Lakshmi given to the cucumber that she refers to as "the gnarled grandmother of the group" in "Confession"?
3. What name does the turnip-nosed man refer to Auntie as in "Uncle Husband"?
4. What color does Lakshmi describe her mother's skin as in "Something Beautiful"?
5. What question is Lakshmi asked by the border guard in "Crossing the Border"?
(a) "Where is your father?"
(b) "How old are you?"
(c) "Is this man your husband?"
(d) "Is this man your father?"
Short Answer Questions
1. What word from "A Trade" means favorable or conducive to success?
2. What kind of vendor calls out to sell his wares below Lakshmi's window in "What I Don't Do"?
3. What type of agriculture is grown around Lakshmi's village?
4. Who is "the elephant god, remover of obstacles"?
5. Lakshmi's village is amidst what mountain range?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Lakshmi punished when she bites the old man in "The Old Man"?
2. What is symbolized and foreshadowed by the woman who has been publicly shamed when Lakshmi gets off the train in India?
3. What is described in the vignette titled "Another Calendar"?
4. How does Lakshmi come to Happiness House? What is the reality of Lakshmi's situation when she arrives?
5. Who is described in "The New Student"? What is Lakshmi's relationship with this character?
6. How is the economy of Lakshmi's village described in "Calendar"?
7. Who is Lakshmi promised to marry when she comes of age? Why does she not marry this character?
8. How is Lakshmi's family described in "A Tin Roof"? With whom does Lakshmi live?
9. How does Lakshmi describe her journey in "A New World"?
10. Who is Gita? What is Lakshmi's relationship with Gita in the narrative?
This section contains 855 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)