|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of Lakshmi's cucumbers is shaped like a snake, according to the narrator in "Confession"?
2. Who is the last person from Lakshmi's village that she sees as she leaves with Auntie in "A Trade"?
3. How does Lakshmi's mother denote the years of how old she and Lakshmi are in "Another Calendar"?
(a) By marks on her wedding trunk.
(b) By a wall-calendar.
(c) By notches on her headboard.
(d) By marks on her belt.
4. How old does Lakshmi describe her mother as in "Another Calendar"?
5. What name has Lakshmi given to the cucumber that she refers to as "the gnarled grandmother of the group" in "Confession"?
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of roof does Lakshmi's family have on their hut in the beginning of the novel?
2. What does Auntie do to make Lakshmi keep walking ahead in "Moving Forward"?
3. What color is the dress that Auntie gives to Lakshmi in "New Clothes"?
4. How does Lakshmi describe the amount of money that the turnip-nosed man gives to Auntie in "Numbers"?
5. What kind of alcoholic beverage do the men of Lakshmi's village drink during the festivals?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Lakshmi punished when she bites the old man in "The Old Man"?
2. How does Lakshmi come to Happiness House? What is the reality of Lakshmi's situation when she arrives?
3. Who is Lakshmi promised to marry when she comes of age? Why does she not marry this character?
4. How does Lakshmi describe her village's religious beliefs in "Something Beautiful"?
5. Who is Gita? What is Lakshmi's relationship with Gita in the narrative?
6. What are the names that Lakshmi has given to her cucumbers in "Confession"?
7. What are the instructions for womanhood that Ama relates to Lakshmi in "Everything I Need to Know"?
8. How is the economy of Lakshmi's village described in "Calendar"?
9. Who is described in "The New Student"? What is Lakshmi's relationship with this character?
10. What is described in the vignette titled "Another Calendar"?
This section contains 899 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)