|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What color does Lakshmi describe her mother's skin as in "Something Beautiful"?
2. What does the bus smell like, according to Lakshmi in "On the Bus"?
(a) "Pipe smoke and incense."
(b) "Rotting meat and garbage."
(c) "Onions and curry and cigarette smoke."
(d) "Stale bread and old shoes."
3. What color does Lakshmi describe the huts of her village in "Something Beautiful"?
4. What does Lakshmi describe rubbing for good luck in "Before Gita Left"?
(a) The notch in the school bench.
(b) Her friend's hair.
(c) A rabbit.
(d) A rough patch in the clay of her hut.
5. Lakshmi's village is amidst what mountain range?
(a) The Andes.
(b) The Sierra Nevada.
(c) The Himalayas.
(d) The Rockies.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Lakshmi describe the amount of money that the turnip-nosed man gives to Auntie in "Numbers"?
2. In what type of vehicle do Lakshmi and Uncle Husband travel in "Crossing the Border"?
3. What does Lakshmi describe brushing her teeth with in "The New Student"?
4. What kind of roof does Lakshmi's family have on their hut in the beginning of the novel?
5. Lakshmi says in Section 1 that her stepfather looks at her the same way he looks at what vegetables growing in front of their hut?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the instructions for womanhood that Ama relates to Lakshmi in "Everything I Need to Know"?
2. What is symbolized and foreshadowed by the woman who has been publicly shamed when Lakshmi gets off the train in India?
3. How is Lakshmi punished when she bites the old man in "The Old Man"?
4. How is Lakshmi's family described in "A Tin Roof"? With whom does Lakshmi live?
5. How is the economy of Lakshmi's village described in "Calendar"?
6. What is described in the vignette titled "Another Calendar"?
7. What possessions does Lakshmi describe in "What I Carry"?
8. How do Lakshmi's impressions of Auntie change in "Questions and Answers"?
9. How does Lakshmi describe her journey in "A New World"?
10. Who is Lakshmi promised to marry when she comes of age? Why does she not marry this character?
This section contains 909 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)