|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What game does Lakshmi describe playing with Gita in "Before Gita Left"?
(a) "The hopping-on-one-leg game."
(b) The game of Spin the Bottle.
(c) "The running around the barn game."
(d) "The American football game."
2. In what type of vehicle do Lakshmi and Uncle Husband travel in "Crossing the Border"?
(a) A bus.
(b) A rickshaw.
(c) A train.
(d) A truck.
3. What food does Uncle Husband get for Lakshmi during a stop on the train?
(a) A mango.
(b) An apple.
(c) A bowl of rice.
(d) A roti.
4. What disability does Lakshmi describe her stepfather having in "The Difference Between a Son and a Daughter"?
(a) He is blind.
(b) He has a lame leg.
(c) He has a lame arm.
(d) He is deaf.
5. What color dress does the woman wear that purchases Lakshmi at Bajai Sita's store in "A Trade"?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Lakshmi's black-and-white speckled goat that follows her at home?
2. Who is the boy that Lakshmi says she is promised to marry in "Before Gita Left"?
3. Lakshmi's village is amidst what mountain range?
4. What kind of alcoholic beverage do the men of Lakshmi's village drink during the festivals?
5. What are "the carts with chicken and sheep in the back" called, according to Lakshmi in "On the Bus"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Lakshmi describe her journey in "A New World"?
2. What possessions does Lakshmi describe in "What I Carry"?
3. Who is Gita? What is Lakshmi's relationship with Gita in the narrative?
4. How is Lakshmi punished when she bites the old man in "The Old Man"?
5. What are sons and daughters compared to in "The Difference between a Son and a Daughter"?
6. What is ironic about the setting of Happiness House?
7. What is described in the vignette titled "Another Calendar"?
8. How does Lakshmi come to Happiness House? What is the reality of Lakshmi's situation when she arrives?
9. What are the names that Lakshmi has given to her cucumbers in "Confession"?
10. How is the economy of Lakshmi's village described in "Calendar"?
This section contains 845 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)