|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What color is Nepali dirt described as in "A Handful of Fog"?
2. Whose shoulder does Lakshmi rest her head on as she watches television in "Like Anita"?
3. Why has Monica been thrown out of Happiness House in "No Remedy"?
(a) She has contracted HIV.
(b) She is pregnant.
(c) She has stolen money.
(d) She has been caught smoking.
4. What does the tea vendor gain in exchange for putting extra sugar in the cook's tea at Happiness House?
(a) A pat on the head.
(b) A rupee.
(c) A bowl of rice.
(d) A stale heel of bread.
5. What does Mumtaz say she will do to Lakshmi if she tries to run away in "Changes"?
(a) Beat her with a metal rod.
(b) Rub hot chilies in her private parts.
(c) Drown her in the river.
(d) Hang her by her fingernails.
6. Who informs Lakshmi that Monica is gone in "No Remedy"?
7. What does Harish give to Jeena for the festival of brothers and sisters?
(a) A rag doll.
(b) A pencil.
(c) A soccer ball.
(d) A dress.
8. Who is the coughing woman that shares a room with Lakshmi at Happiness House?
9. What is described as the "most important button" in "Remote Control"?
(a) The volume button.
(b) The mute button.
(c) The channel button.
(d) The red button.
10. What television show is the favorite of the girls at Happiness House?
(a) The Bold and the Beautiful.
(b) One Life to Live.
(d) Who Wants to be a Millionaire.
11. What does Shahanna tell Lakshmi to do with her shawl when she must bring a dirty man to her bed?
(a) Press the shawl to her nose.
(b) Press the shawl against his groin.
(c) Wave the shawl in the air.
(d) Press the shawl to her armpits.
12. How much money does Mumtaz say Lakshmi must work off before she can go home in "Changes"?
(a) 30,000 rupees.
(b) 20,000 rupees.
(c) 10,000 rupees.
(d) 5,000 rupees.
13. What does Lakshmi describe "Stealing from the David Beckham Boy" in the chapter with this title?
(a) His pencils.
(b) Glimpses in his storybook.
(c) His money.
(d) A rag doll.
14. What does the boy in the David Beckham t-shirt grab and run off with as the girls put on their makeup in "Meeting the David Beckham Boy"?
(a) An apple.
(b) A cup of tea.
(c) A Coca-Cola.
(d) A paper kite.
15. Who is the girl at Happiness House that gets the most customers?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is lassi made from?
2. What does Monica say her father needs when she returns to Happiness House in "The Living Dead"?
3. Who did Monica give a bottle of nail polish to last week, according to the narrator in "Understanding Monica"?
4. What does Monica give to Laskhmi in "Instead of Haresh"?
5. How much money does Shahanna say Mumtaz charges the girls for their daily rice and dal?
This section contains 491 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)