|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is lassi made from?
2. What do the older boys call the David Beckham boy's mother when they taunt him in "No Ordinary Boy, After All"?
(a) A cretin.
(b) A monster.
(c) A whore.
(d) A corpse.
3. What food does Monica say her daughter hates in "Understanding Monica"?
4. What has been left on a table for Lakshmi when she awakens in "One of Them"?
(a) A feminine cleansing product.
(b) A glass of water.
(d) A pornographic magazine.
5. What does Lakshmi describe the smell of cooking onions representing to her in "A Secret"?
(a) The time for The Bold and the Beautiful to come on television.
(b) The time for sleeping.
(c) The time for payments to Mumatz.
(d) The time for men to begin arriving at Happiness House.
6. What words does Harish teach to Lakshmi in "Sorry"?
(a) "Marbles" and "sorry."
(b) "Tomorrow" and "sorry."
(c) "Yes" and "sorry."
(d) "No" and "sorry."
7. What is Shahanna doing when the raid occurs in "Raid"?
(a) She is with a customer.
(b) Eating dinner.
(c) Having her hair braided.
(d) Painting her nails.
8. Where does Lakshmi hide the American's card in "A Small Danger"?
(a) Under a floor mat.
(b) Under her pillow.
(c) In the attic.
(d) In a kitchen cupboard.
9. For how many days has Pushpa been ill in bed in the beginning of "Beyond Words"?
10. Whom does the tea vendor give tea to even if she doesn't have money until the next day, according to the narrator in "The Street Boy"?
11. What possessions does Pushpa put in Harish's trunk when they prepare to leave Happiness House in "A Word Too Small"?
(a) A hairbrush, a sweater, and a photo of her husband.
(b) A doll and her clothing.
(c) A notebook, a dress, and her makeup.
(d) A bag of money.
12. Where is Mumtaz when the raid occurs in "Raid"?
(a) In the kitchen.
(b) At the police station.
(c) At the grocery store.
(d) Being fitted for a new sari.
13. How old is the boy who wears the David Beckham t-shirt?
14. How much money does Mumtaz withhold from the girls' earnings at Happiness House for the monthly shot that the "dirty-hands doctor" gives them so they won't get pregnant?
(a) 500 rupees.
(b) 200 rupees.
(c) 100 rupees.
(d) 50 rupees.
15. What does Mumtaz say she will do to Lakshmi if she tries to run away in "Changes"?
(a) Drown her in the river.
(b) Hang her by her fingernails.
(c) Beat her with a metal rod.
(d) Rub hot chilies in her private parts.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mumtaz offer to do to help Pushpa in "Beyond Words"?
2. How many girls does Lakshmi share a room with in "In My New Room"?
3. What caused the girl with the half-frowning face to look as she does?
4. How many days does Lakshmi say it has been since the hugging man came in "Still Not Counting"?
5. What does Harish give to Lakshmi before leaving in "A Word Too Small"?
This section contains 533 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)