|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What symbol is on the card that the American gives to Lakshmi in "A Strange Customer"?
(a) A bird in flight.
(b) A star.
(c) A circle.
(d) A peace sign.
2. What is "Shilpa's Secret" revealed to be in the chapter with this title?
(a) She is pregnant.
(b) She is married.
(c) She is an alcoholic.
(d) She is running away.
3. What caused the girl with the half-frowning face to look as she does?
(a) She fell down stairs.
(b) She had a brain aneurism.
(c) She was beaten with a metal pipe.
(d) She had a stroke.
4. What is Shahanna doing when the raid occurs in "Raid"?
(a) Eating dinner.
(b) Having her hair braided.
(c) She is with a customer.
(d) Painting her nails.
5. Whom does the tea vendor cheat out of her change if she's not paying attention, according to Lakshmi in "The Street Boy"?
6. Who takes Lakshmi's virginity at the Happiness House?
7. What does Harish give to Lakshmi for the festival of brothers and sisters?
(a) A rag doll.
(b) A pencil.
(c) A photograph.
(d) A storybook.
8. What has been left on a table for Lakshmi when she awakens in "One of Them"?
(a) A feminine cleansing product.
(b) A glass of water.
(c) A pornographic magazine.
9. What words does Harish teach to Lakshmi in "Sorry"?
(a) "Marbles" and "sorry."
(b) "Tomorrow" and "sorry."
(c) "Yes" and "sorry."
(d) "No" and "sorry."
10. What does Monica leave for Lakshmi when she leaves Happiness House?
(a) A storybook.
(b) A movie magazine.
(c) A rag doll.
(d) A calendar.
11. What does the tea vendor gain in exchange for putting extra sugar in the cook's tea at Happiness House?
(a) A bowl of rice.
(b) A stale heel of bread.
(c) A rupee.
(d) A pat on the head.
12. How many girls does Lakshmi share a room with in "In My New Room"?
13. What is the name of the half-frowning girl at Happiness House?
14. What brought Pushpa to Happiness House?
(a) Her husband sold her into slavery.
(b) Her father sold her into slavery.
(c) The death of her husband.
(d) The death of her mother.
15. Who has disappeared during the raid in "Raid"?
Short Answer Questions
1. How much money does Shahanna say Mumtaz charges the girls for their daily rice and dal?
2. Where does Lakshmi hide the American's card in "A Small Danger"?
3. What are the four "American words" that Lakshmi has learned in "A Strange Vocabulary"?
4. How much money does Harish say they pay children per week to break stones at the roadside in "A Word Too Small"?
5. What does Shahanna tell Lakshmi to do with her shawl when she must bring a dirty man to her bed?
This section contains 496 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)