|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lakshmi respond when Harish asks her each day, "How are you today?"
(a) "I don't know."
(b) "Fine, thank you. And you?"
(c) "How are you?"
(d) "I am Lakshmi and I am well."
2. What does Harish give to Lakshmi before leaving in "A Word Too Small"?
(a) His rag doll.
(b) His David Beckham t-shirt.
(c) His American storybook.
(d) His soccer ball.
3. Who pulls Lakshmi into a hiding place during the raid in "Raid"?
4. What does Mumtaz offer to do to help Pushpa in "Beyond Words"?
(a) She offers to sell Pushpa to a different brothel.
(b) She offers to buy her infant daughter.
(c) She offers to give Pushpa a loan.
(d) She offers to buy her son from her.
5. Who informs Lakshmi that Monica is gone in "No Remedy"?
6. When Shahanna is teaching Lakshmi tricks with her shawl in "Everything I Need to Know Now," what does she say to do in order to bring the shy men to her bed?
(a) Wrap the shawl around her feet.
(b) Flick the ends of her shawl in a come-hither gesture.
(c) Throw the shawl at the customer.
(d) Wrap the shawl tightly around her shoulders.
7. Whom does the tea vendor give tea to even if she doesn't have money until the next day, according to the narrator in "The Street Boy"?
8. In "Don't Cross the Cook," Lakshmi says she learned a new Hindi phrase today which is "Don't cross the cook or she will" do what?
(a) "Burn your dinner."
(b) "Wash her hands."
(c) "Spit in your soup."
(d) "Stop feeding you."
9. How many days does Lakshmi say it has been since the hugging man came in "Still Not Counting"?
10. What does Lakshmi describe the smell of cooking onions representing to her in "A Secret"?
(a) The time for men to begin arriving at Happiness House.
(b) The time for payments to Mumatz.
(c) The time for sleeping.
(d) The time for The Bold and the Beautiful to come on television.
11. Who brings Lakshmi rice when she is brought to live with the other girls in "What is Normal"?
12. How many girls does Lakshmi share a room with in "In My New Room"?
13. Who did Monica give a bottle of nail polish to last week, according to the narrator in "Understanding Monica"?
14. What is the name of the girl that Lakshmi describes as "the aging bird girl" at Happiness House?
15. Whose shoulder does Lakshmi rest her head on as she watches television in "Like Anita"?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Shahanna give to Lakshmi to help protect her against disease?
2. Who has disappeared during the raid in "Raid"?
3. What are the two languages spoken at Happiness House, according to Harish?
4. What possessions does Pushpa put in Harish's trunk when they prepare to leave Happiness House in "A Word Too Small"?
5. How much money does Mumtaz say Lakshmi must work off before she can go home in "Changes"?
This section contains 546 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)