|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section 5, pp. 224 – 263.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the cook say she is grinding spices in "Punishment"?
(a) Because someone has betrayed Mumtaz.
(b) Because she is sick.
(c) Because there will be a raid.
(d) Because they are having stew for dinner.
2. Who brings Lakshmi rice when she is brought to live with the other girls in "What is Normal"?
3. How much money does Lakshmi's stepfather ask for Lakshmi when he sells her at Bajai Sita's store in "A Trade"?
(a) 2,000 rupees.
(b) 500 rupees.
(c) 850 rupees.
(d) 1,000 rupees.
4. What is the name of the dark-skinned girl that is kind to Lakshmi when she arrives at Happiness House?
5. What does Mumtaz say she will do to Lakshmi if she tries to run away in "Changes"?
(a) Drown her in the river.
(b) Rub hot chilies in her private parts.
(c) Hang her by her fingernails.
(d) Beat her with a metal rod.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who takes Lakshmi's virginity at the Happiness House?
2. How much extra does Lakshmi's regular customer give her to make her "do a nasty thing" in "Whatever it Takes"?
3. What kind of alcoholic beverage do the men of Lakshmi's village drink during the festivals?
4. How many days has it been since Lakshmi "learned the truth from Shilpa" in "A Kind of Sickness"?
5. What does Lakshmi describe the smell of cooking onions representing to her in "A Secret"?
This section contains 265 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)