|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section 5, pp. 224 – 263.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lakshmi respond when Harish asks her each day, "How are you today?"
(a) "Fine, thank you. And you?"
(b) "I don't know."
(c) "I am Lakshmi and I am well."
(d) "How are you?"
2. What type of agriculture is grown around Lakshmi's village?
3. In "Don't Cross the Cook," Lakshmi says she learned a new Hindi phrase today which is "Don't cross the cook or she will" do what?
(a) "Burn your dinner."
(b) "Stop feeding you."
(c) "Spit in your soup."
(d) "Wash her hands."
4. What food does Uncle Husband get for Lakshmi during a stop on the train?
(a) An apple.
(b) A roti.
(c) A bowl of rice.
(d) A mango.
5. How many girls are estimated by the U.S. State Department to be trafficked into the sex slave trade annually worldwide?
(a) Almost half a million.
(b) Almost one million.
(c) Almost 50,000.
(d) Almost two million.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mumtaz offer to do to help Pushpa in "Beyond Words"?
2. How much more time does Mumtaz say Lakshmi has with her at Happiness House in "A Recalculation"?
3. Where are the red-light districts in India that the author describes many Nepali girls ending up in the Author's Note?
4. What food does Monica say her daughter hates in "Understanding Monica"?
5. Why do the women of Lakshmi's village drink the blue-black juice from the marking tree?
This section contains 282 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)