Section 1, pp. 1 – 51
• Sold, by Patricia McCormack, is a novel about child sexual slavery in India and Nepal.
• The novel opens in the small, unnamed Nepalese village in the Himalayan Mountains where Lakshmi and her mother, Ama, inspect the thatch roof of their hut; Lakshmi's family is too poor to afford a tin roof.
• Lakshmi's best friend Gita has left the village to work in a nearby city as a maid, and Lakshmi tells Ama that she can do the same, to earn wages she will then send home to her family.
• Though Ama tells her she must stay in school, Lakshmi suspects that her stepfather feels otherwise and sees her as a way to make more money to buy luxuries for himself.
• Stepfather has trouble finding work as a result of an injury in his youth that has left him with only one good arm, and spends his...
This section contains 1,150 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)