|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Esperanza usually want to talk about?
2. Why does Caridad think she has a fatal touch?
3. How many times in her life does Loca venture out?
4. What do Felicia and Doctor Tolentino drink together sometimes?
5. What does Domingo do after Fe's death?
Essay Topic 1
Kyra and América are two women in the same town, yet are very different in numerous ways. Compare and contrast the two female characters by using specific examples from Boyle's book.
Essay Topic 2
Identify the climax of this story and the series of events leading up to the climax. How did characters respond to the climax? What did Castillo include in her story to insure that the climax would be as powerful and meaningful as possible?
Essay Topic 3
Magical realism is an important aspect of Castillo's work. How is this technique used to tell the story of Sofi and her daughters? What does magical realism contribute to the effect of Castillo's work on readers? How does she incorporate it into the greater work?
This section contains 869 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)