|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the reaction of Loca's followers when they hear she is ill?
2. What symptoms does Fe begin to develop in reaction to her workplace?
3. How do Loca's followers refer to her?
4. According to Felicia and the doctor, where can some treatments only be found?
5. What does the doctor tell Sofi she must place her faith in?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Magical realism is an important aspect of Castillo's work. How is this technique used to tell the story of Sofi and her daughters? What does magical realism contribute to the effect of Castillo's work on readers? How does she incorporate it into the greater work?
Essay Topic 2
What is the overall theme of Castillo's novel? Is there more than one theme? How does Castillo use characters and events to communicate the theme to readers?
Essay Topic 3
If you could choose one of Castillo's characters to be identified as the tragic hero/ine, who would it be and why? Do you think this particular character is more of a tragic hero than other characters? What is it about the character that helps him or her to be defined this way?
This section contains 255 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)