|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As they leave court, Nels Gudmundsson mentions to Ishmael
2. By pointing out his change of story, Alvin Hooks wants the jury to
3. Dr. Whitman has done an examination of
4. Before Kabuo could come forward with his story of the events on the boat with Carl Heine,
5. Ishmael remembers that his father did not
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the glimmer of hope that comes from Susan Marie's testimony?
2. Learning that Carl has kept Kabuo's fishing rod all these years suggests that Kabuo might be telling the truth? Explain this.
3. Why does Guterman get so graphic about the sex lives of Carl and Susan Marie Heine?
4. Why does the author refer more than once to the smell of snow?
5. Does Sergeant Maples have any personal motives for seeming to incriminate Kabuo in his testimony?
6. Why do you think Ishmael does not tell his mother about the records he found at the Coast Guard office?
7. Describe what Ishmael discovered in the Coast Guard radioman's notes.
8. Describe Ishmael's experience as he views the devastation from the storm, the sunken docks and ravaged town. What does it mean?
9. Why did Kabuo and Hatsue not inform the Sheriff of what they said really happened on the night of Carl Heine's death?
10. What finally inspires Ishmael to take the Coast Guard report to Hatsue?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Take a position and write an essay on the following: Is the U.S. government paying proper and sufficient attention to the psychological effects on soldiers returning from war? Support your answers with research and facts.
Essay Topic 2
With illustrations and an essay, teach us about women's clothing in 1943, especially the clothing that would help us understand the knife-pleats and long darts of Hatsue Miyamoto's outfits that she wore to her husband's trial. Try to find old newspaper ads, and provide details as to fabrics and embellishments.
Essay Topic 3
Guterman mentions that occasionally Canadian Indians came across the border to help with the strawberry harvest in the islands off of Washington. Research and write an expository essay about these temporary workers, and teach your reader everything you can about their lifestyle and their culture. This may take some library research. Find out the names of the tribes or bands -- choose one island if necessary, such as Bainbridge, and learn what you can about the history of Indian pickers and processors.
This section contains 976 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)