|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ishmael feels that accidental occurrences on the island
2. Carl and Susan Marie live in a
3. Kabuo Miyamoto's demeanor as he looks out at the snow makes the jurors think that
4. Kabuo thinks his fate is sealed because
5. Did island fishermen go aboard one another's boats out in the water?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how Carl's blood ended up on the handle of Kabuo's fishing gaff.
2. Does Sergeant Maples have any personal motives for seeming to incriminate Kabuo in his testimony?
3. Why does Moran suspect the blow to Carl Heine's head was from a kendo stick?
4. Why does Ishmael not take his information from the coast guard directly to Judge Fielding as he figures he father would have done?
5. Describe Ishmael's experience as he views the devastation from the storm, the sunken docks and ravaged town. What does it mean?
6. Why do you think Ishmael does not tell his mother about the records he found at the Coast Guard office?
7. Why does Ishmael make a racial slur when Hatsue expresses sympathy for the loss of his arm?
8. Why does the author refer more than once to the smell of snow?
9. Hooks makes a significant misjudgment in his closing argument as he paints a scenario of Kabuo luring Carl Heine in by faking an emergency. Discuss his mistakes.
10. What finally inspires Ishmael to take the Coast Guard report to Hatsue?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Check out the state of the salmon fishing industry and whether it is thriving or diminishing in the Pacific Northwest. Provide your reader with information regarding the ecological conditions that are required for salmon to thrive, and whether these have changed or improved over the past several decades. In addition, determine salmon's nutritional value, its importance in the human diet and in the diets of its predators.
Essay Topic 2
Take a position and write an essay on the following: Is the U.S. government paying proper and sufficient attention to the psychological effects on soldiers returning from war? Support your answers with research and facts.
Essay Topic 3
Review Hatsue's childhood in this book and join the Imada family in your imagination. Write an essay about the Imadas' lifestyle and determine whether it is one that you could tolerate or not. Were there certain choices made by the Imadas that made life more difficult for them, or were they totally at the mercy of their circumstances? What about their lives is pleasant, and what is not?
This section contains 966 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)