|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Alvin Hooks' witness, Dr. Sterling Whitman, is a
2. Ishmael remembers that his father did not
3. Arthur Chambers was an organized man who
4. Alvin Hooks suggests that what really happened out at sea that night was that
5. Reviewing the errands he must run due to the storm, Ishmael plans to
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Ishmael not take his information from the coast guard directly to Judge Fielding as he figures he father would have done?
2. Learning that Carl has kept Kabuo's fishing rod all these years suggests that Kabuo might be telling the truth? Explain this.
3. Why does Guterman get so graphic about the sex lives of Carl and Susan Marie Heine?
4. What is it that keeps Alexander Van Ness from agreeing to convict Kabuo Miyamoto?
5. Describe Ishmael's experience as he views the devastation from the storm, the sunken docks and ravaged town. What does it mean?
6. How does the author foreshadow a turn of events in the trial?
7. What does Guterson mean when he says that, "...the prosecutor, knew well the value of a Susan Marie Heine."
8. Although things are looking a little better for Kabuo, his story is once again compromised by a question from Alvin Hooks. Explain how he damages his testimony in this chapter.
9. What new information does Hatsue provide that sheds a new light on the incident involving Carl Heine?
10. What is the reason for Art Moran's visit to Judge Lew Fielding in this chapter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Roosevelt swiftly and effectively reacted to Japan's attack on Pearl Harbor. Do a research essay and write about Roosevelt and his response to the Japanese, what followed and the eventual result. Did Roosevelt have a high popularity rating in America at this time. Did he handle the war effectively and in the best way possible? Take a position.
Essay Topic 2
If you live by the ocean, this should be an easy assignment. What are some of the disadvantages to living close to the seashore? Write a paper for someone in the Midwest who has never seen the ocean, and describe the hardships and difficulties of living on a coastline. Be convincing.
Essay Topic 3
With illustrations and an essay, teach us about women's clothing in 1943, especially the clothing that would help us understand the knife-pleats and long darts of Hatsue Miyamoto's outfits that she wore to her husband's trial. Try to find old newspaper ads, and provide details as to fabrics and embellishments.
This section contains 916 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)