|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Helen Chambers reminds Ishmael to remember all the facts so that he can
2. Outside, as the snowfall diminishes, Ishmael notices
3. Ishmael had always pretended that his visits to his mother's home
4. His arm, as well as Hatsue, have been taken from Ishmael because
5. Judge Fielding acknowledges that Etta Heine is
Short Essay Questions
1. What scenario has prosecutor, Alvin Hooks, cooked up to try to bolster his case against Kabuo?
2. Explain how Carl's blood ended up on the handle of Kabuo's fishing gaff.
3. Why does Moran suspect the blow to Carl Heine's head was from a kendo stick?
4. Nels Gudmundsson makes a fascinating statement about Hooks' tactics with regard to racism. Discuss this.
5. Although things are looking a little better for Kabuo, his story is once again compromised by a question from Alvin Hooks. Explain how he damages his testimony in this chapter.
6. Things are looking grim for Kabuo Miyamoto. Why does the fishing gaff appear to be the perfect weapon for Kabuo to have used to murder Carl Heine, Jr.
7. What is the reason for Art Moran's visit to Judge Lew Fielding in this chapter?
8. Why does the author refer more than once to the smell of snow?
9. What is peculiar about islanders and their relationships?
10. What finally inspires Ishmael to take the Coast Guard report to Hatsue?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What did you learn about the legal system from this book, if anything? Guterson portrays the trial as fairly routine, with opening statements, examination and cross examination of witnesses, closing arguments, jury instructions and verdict. Look up the term "legal discovery" on the web, and determine how things have changed in our legal system since 1942. Is our system more efficient now? If so, in what ways? If not, in what ways? Are we more sophisticated in our legal process than before?
Essay Topic 2
With illustrations and an essay, teach us about women's clothing in 1943, especially the clothing that would help us understand the knife-pleats and long darts of Hatsue Miyamoto's outfits that she wore to her husband's trial. Try to find old newspaper ads, and provide details as to fabrics and embellishments.
Essay Topic 3
Cedar trees are some of the most magical, aromatic trees on earth. Research cedars and report on where they thrive, their size and environment, their uses and their native habitats. Include photos and, if you live near cedars, a small frond of the fragrant tree. Include any threats to cedars, as well as what conditions make them thrive. Let your imagination help you better understand the atmosphere in the hollow cedar tree, and write about that, as well.
This section contains 952 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)