|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Giving the Imadas a ride home in the snow, Ishmael learns that
2. Kabuo Miyamoto had not told the truth about helping Carl Heine to anyone but
3. Gillanders speculates that Kabuo could not have
4. Kabuo and Carl make a deal for the seven acres, and seal it with
5. Ishmael describes Kabuo's demeanor at trial as
Short Essay Questions
1. Learning that Carl has kept Kabuo's fishing rod all these years suggests that Kabuo might be telling the truth? Explain this.
2. What is the irony behind the power failure in the middle of this trial?
3. Describe what Ishmael discovered in the Coast Guard radioman's notes.
4. Describe Ishmael's experience as he views the devastation from the storm, the sunken docks and ravaged town. What does it mean?
5. Why does Ishmael not take his information from the coast guard directly to Judge Fielding as he figures he father would have done?
6. What new information does Hatsue provide that sheds a new light on the incident involving Carl Heine?
7. Nels Gudmundsson makes a fascinating statement about Hooks' tactics with regard to racism. Discuss this.
8. The idea of inclement weather has been woven throughout the story, including the heavy snowfall that has caused problems during the trial of Kabuo Miyamoto. What inspires Ishmael's decision to check with the coast guard about weather conditions at the time of Carl Heine's demise?
9. Although things are looking a little better for Kabuo, his story is once again compromised by a question from Alvin Hooks. Explain how he damages his testimony in this chapter.
10. Why does the author refer more than once to the smell of snow?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Japanese diet has always been considered sparse and healthy. Research today's typical diet for the typical Japanese family, both in the US and Japan. Do they have a higher or lower mortality rate? Has their diet changed considerably in the past decades? What are the predominant health problems among Japanese? Americans? Compare and contrast.
Essay Topic 2
Roosevelt swiftly and effectively reacted to Japan's attack on Pearl Harbor. Do a research essay and write about Roosevelt and his response to the Japanese, what followed and the eventual result. Did Roosevelt have a high popularity rating in America at this time. Did he handle the war effectively and in the best way possible? Take a position.
Essay Topic 3
Find another form of Japanese stick fighting besides Kendo, and write a lesson plan for someone who wants to learn it. Provide a bit of background and history, as well as some graphics that demonstrate the moves and the weapon.
This section contains 1,002 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)