|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The persistent wind from this current storm makes the islanders
2. Ishmael goes to the Coast Guard station intending to look at
3. Kabuo and Carl make a deal for the seven acres, and seal it with
4. Fisherman leapfrogging one another's nets are said to be
5. Hatsue feels that the coffee cup found on the deck of Carl's boat indicates
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what Ishmael discovered in the Coast Guard radioman's notes.
2. Learning that Carl has kept Kabuo's fishing rod all these years suggests that Kabuo might be telling the truth? Explain this.
3. Why do you think Ishmael does not tell his mother about the records he found at the Coast Guard office?
4. Although things are looking a little better for Kabuo, his story is once again compromised by a question from Alvin Hooks. Explain how he damages his testimony in this chapter.
5. Why does the author refer more than once to the smell of snow?
6. Why does Guterman get so graphic about the sex lives of Carl and Susan Marie Heine?
7. Things are looking grim for Kabuo Miyamoto. Why does the fishing gaff appear to be the perfect weapon for Kabuo to have used to murder Carl Heine, Jr.
8. What is the irony behind the power failure in the middle of this trial?
9. What is the reason for Art Moran's visit to Judge Lew Fielding in this chapter?
10. What is Alvin Hooks' motivation in trying to convict Kabuo? How would winning the case benefit Nels Gudmundsson?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Among so many other topics, Guterson touches on what it is like to have a physical deficit, such as Ishmael's missing arm. Write a persuasive argument about whether we, as a culture, provide sufficient conveniences for those with disabilities. Look up the ADA (Americans With Disabilities Act), and determine whether the laws that govern public places have taken into account people like Ishmael Chambers, who is forced to do everything with one arm and hand.
Essay Topic 2
Find another form of Japanese stick fighting besides Kendo, and write a lesson plan for someone who wants to learn it. Provide a bit of background and history, as well as some graphics that demonstrate the moves and the weapon.
Essay Topic 3
Carl Heine's accident is one that the Coast Guard missed entirely. Research historical Coast Guard rescues, and summarize their stories. What is the biggest challenge for the Coast Guard, and how have they dealt with obstacles that confront them? Wrap up your essay with a critical review of the coast guard, and determine whether they are an important branch of the military or whether they are just a lookout crew.
This section contains 971 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)