|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Carl Heine suggests that his wife, Etta, has
2. Virginia Gatewood looked, to Ishmael, like
3. As a gesture toward his customers, Einar Petersen offered
4. Prior to the battle at Tarawa, Ishmael's attitude toward the war was somewhat
5. In daydreams in his jail cell, Kabuo wanders around
Short Essay Questions
1. What stops Ishmael and Hatsue from having sexual relations in the hollow tree?
2. What makes Hatsue and Ishmael close?
3. Why does Hatsue ignore Ishmael at school?
4. Although serious, this trial still has the feel of a small town affair. What are some reasons for that?
5. Ishmael's experience at war is as horrendous as it gets. What is his attitude toward Hatsue by now, and why?
6. Why does Kabuo's demeanor seem cold and hard?
7. What has caused Ishmael Chambers to be so cynical?
8. Why do the Japanese sit at the back of the courtroom in Amity Harbor?
9. When the aging Ole finally sold his farm, to whom did he sell it?
10. Why would reporters from out of town be attending Miyamoto's trial?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Take a position and write an essay on the following: Is the U.S. government paying proper and sufficient attention to the psychological effects on soldiers returning from war? Support your answers with research and facts.
Essay Topic 2
Cedar trees are some of the most magical, aromatic trees on earth. Research cedars and report on where they thrive, their size and environment, their uses and their native habitats. Include photos and, if you live near cedars, a small frond of the fragrant tree. Include any threats to cedars, as well as what conditions make them thrive. Let your imagination help you better understand the atmosphere in the hollow cedar tree, and write about that, as well.
Essay Topic 3
Among so many other topics, Guterson touches on what it is like to have a physical deficit, such as Ishmael's missing arm. Write a persuasive argument about whether we, as a culture, provide sufficient conveniences for those with disabilities. Look up the ADA (Americans With Disabilities Act), and determine whether the laws that govern public places have taken into account people like Ishmael Chambers, who is forced to do everything with one arm and hand.
This section contains 792 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)