|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Prior to the battle at Tarawa, Ishmael's attitude toward the war was somewhat
2. The snowstorm on San Piedro
3. Why does Kabuo constantly look inward at himself?
4. When a new wave of amtracs came on the beach, Ishmael was
5. As a coroner, Horace Whaley
Short Essay Questions
1. What has caused Ishmael Chambers to be so cynical?
2. What is the agreement made between Zenhichi Miyamoto and Carl Heine, Sr.?
3. This chapter is full of symbolism. What is the most sensual event that Guterson describes between Hatsue and Ishmael?
4. Why would reporters from out of town be attending Miyamoto's trial?
5. Why would Horace Whaley even consider that someone of Japanese descent had hit Carl Heine in the head?
6. What was the convincing factor in Sheriff Moran's decision to get a search warrant for Kabuo's boat?
7. Ishmael's experience at war is as horrendous as it gets. What is his attitude toward Hatsue by now, and why?
8. Why does Hatsue's mother tear up the letter she has written to Ishmael's parents?
9. How does Kabuo enter into Hatsue's life?
10. Does the idea of a Japanese Strawberry Princess strike you as odd? Why were the princesses never Swedish or Norwegian or other nationalities?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
With illustrations and an essay, teach us about women's clothing in 1943, especially the clothing that would help us understand the knife-pleats and long darts of Hatsue Miyamoto's outfits that she wore to her husband's trial. Try to find old newspaper ads, and provide details as to fabrics and embellishments.
Essay Topic 2
Roosevelt swiftly and effectively reacted to Japan's attack on Pearl Harbor. Do a research essay and write about Roosevelt and his response to the Japanese, what followed and the eventual result. Did Roosevelt have a high popularity rating in America at this time. Did he handle the war effectively and in the best way possible? Take a position.
Essay Topic 3
Guterman mentions that occasionally Canadian Indians came across the border to help with the strawberry harvest in the islands off of Washington. Research and write an expository essay about these temporary workers, and teach your reader everything you can about their lifestyle and their culture. This may take some library research. Find out the names of the tribes or bands -- choose one island if necessary, such as Bainbridge, and learn what you can about the history of Indian pickers and processors.
This section contains 846 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)