|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Japanese Americans are being arrested, Ishmael blindly thinks
2. As a coroner, Horace Whaley
3. Etta does not want Carl to sell any acreage to Zenhichi Miyamoto because
4. Art Moran does not want Ishmael to let on
5. Kabuo Miyamoto's demeanor at his trial reveals
Short Essay Questions
1. Besides having to dissect dead bodies, why is Horace Whaley's job particularly difficult?
2. What kind of lawyer is Nels Gudmundsson?
3. Although serious, this trial still has the feel of a small town affair. What are some reasons for that?
4. What interrupts the Miyamotos' purchase of seven acres of the Heines' property
5. Describe the situation between Hatsue and Ishmael after the Pearl Harbor attack.
6. This chapter is full of symbolism. What is the most sensual event that Guterson describes between Hatsue and Ishmael?
7. We learn that Carl Heine is a precise, organized and capable man. Can you think of a reason that the author is giving us such a detailed description of a deceased person?
8. What makes Hatsue and Ishmael close?
9. Why would Horace Whaley even consider that someone of Japanese descent had hit Carl Heine in the head?
10. Discuss the ironies of the war activities Ishmael was involved in when he was injured.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Guterman mentions that occasionally Canadian Indians came across the border to help with the strawberry harvest in the islands off of Washington. Research and write an expository essay about these temporary workers, and teach your reader everything you can about their lifestyle and their culture. This may take some library research. Find out the names of the tribes or bands -- choose one island if necessary, such as Bainbridge, and learn what you can about the history of Indian pickers and processors.
Essay Topic 2
Take a position and write an essay on the following: Is the U.S. government paying proper and sufficient attention to the psychological effects on soldiers returning from war? Support your answers with research and facts.
Essay Topic 3
What brought the Japanese to the Northwestern corner of the U.S.? How did they get there, and why? Is there still a considerable Japanese population in the island off of Washington state? What is the Japanese population in Washington, in general? Where is the highest concentration? Compare the two cultures and give your opinions on why people such as the Japanese would want to live in the U.S.
This section contains 935 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)