|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Sumiko intervenes in Hatsue's life by
2. Hatsue visits the hollow cedar throughout her childhood to
3. Carl Heine suggests that his wife, Etta, has
4. As a young child, Hatsue was carefully trained to
5. Hatsue's mother is upset and decides to
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the Japanese sit at the back of the courtroom in Amity Harbor?
2. Why was Ole Jurgensen unwilling to hand over the Miyamoto's seven acres to Kabuo?
3. Ishmael's experience at war is as horrendous as it gets. What is his attitude toward Hatsue by now, and why?
4. This chapter is full of symbolism. What is the most sensual event that Guterson describes between Hatsue and Ishmael?
5. Describe Amity Harbor. Is it an upscale town? Does it seem inviting?
6. What makes Hatsue and Ishmael close?
7. What kind of lawyer is Nels Gudmundsson?
8. Discuss the ironies of the war activities Ishmael was involved in when he was injured.
9. What has caused Ishmael Chambers to be so cynical?
10. Why does Hatsue's mother tear up the letter she has written to Ishmael's parents?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Where in our country is the largest concentration of strawberry farming? Research and write an essay on strawberry farming in America. What is the perfect climate and soil for strawberry farming? Is the farming still primarily done by workers of a different nationality? What is the percentage of strawberries that are imported into our country compared with what we grow domestically?
Essay Topic 2
Guterman mentions that occasionally Canadian Indians came across the border to help with the strawberry harvest in the islands off of Washington. Research and write an expository essay about these temporary workers, and teach your reader everything you can about their lifestyle and their culture. This may take some library research. Find out the names of the tribes or bands -- choose one island if necessary, such as Bainbridge, and learn what you can about the history of Indian pickers and processors.
Essay Topic 3
Research and write an in-depth essay about the Japanese internment camps in the US during World War II. If possible, find someone to interview who has some childhood memories of the experience and interview him or her. Has the US, in your opinion, reconsidered its decision to place people in camps when their native country is at war with us? Has it reconsidered the decisions that were made back then? Is there a general consensus about the advisability of such a program? If possible, include some photos.
This section contains 980 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)