|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The morning her family leaves for the internment camps, Fujiko Imada avoids Ilse Severense because
2. Ishmael's father, as the local newspaper owner,
3. Horace Whaley testifies that the cut to Carl's hand was
4. Hatsue's father is frightened by the Pearl Harbor news and
5. The people of Amity Harbor are frightened about the possibility of
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Amity Harbor. Is it an upscale town? Does it seem inviting?
2. We learn that Carl Heine is a precise, organized and capable man. Can you think of a reason that the author is giving us such a detailed description of a deceased person?
3. What was the convincing factor in Sheriff Moran's decision to get a search warrant for Kabuo's boat?
4. This chapter is full of symbolism. What is the most sensual event that Guterson describes between Hatsue and Ishmael?
5. What has caused Ishmael Chambers to be so cynical?
6. Explain the hysteria on San Piedro Island when the news of the Pearl Harbor attack is announced.
7. Why do the Japanese sit at the back of the courtroom in Amity Harbor?
8. What kind of lawyer is Nels Gudmundsson?
9. What interrupts the Miyamotos' purchase of seven acres of the Heines' property
10. Although serious, this trial still has the feel of a small town affair. What are some reasons for that?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
World War II was devastating in so many ways. Although this story is not a war story, the war and its effects are threaded throughout, affecting everyone in San Piedro Island. Write an essay, choosing three characters, and expand on the ways that the war affects their lives, their decisions, their thinking and their actions.
Essay Topic 2
The Japanese diet has always been considered sparse and healthy. Research today's typical diet for the typical Japanese family, both in the US and Japan. Do they have a higher or lower mortality rate? Has their diet changed considerably in the past decades? What are the predominant health problems among Japanese? Americans? Compare and contrast.
Essay Topic 3
Review Hatsue's childhood in this book and join the Imada family in your imagination. Write an essay about the Imadas' lifestyle and determine whether it is one that you could tolerate or not. Were there certain choices made by the Imadas that made life more difficult for them, or were they totally at the mercy of their circumstances? What about their lives is pleasant, and what is not?
This section contains 963 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)