|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Queen of the Strawberry Festival is always a
2. Carl Heine, Jr. sealed his deal with Ole by giving him
3. Ishmael wants very much to talk to
4. Virginia Gatewood looked, to Ishmael, like
5. The darkness in Carl Heine's personality, as well as in Horace Whaley's is a result of
Short Essay Questions
1. Besides having to dissect dead bodies, why is Horace Whaley's job particularly difficult?
2. Why would Horace Whaley even consider that someone of Japanese descent had hit Carl Heine in the head?
3. When the aging Ole finally sold his farm, to whom did he sell it?
4. This chapter is full of symbolism. What is the most sensual event that Guterson describes between Hatsue and Ishmael?
5. Describe Amity Harbor. Is it an upscale town? Does it seem inviting?
6. Discuss the ironies of the war activities Ishmael was involved in when he was injured.
7. What is the agreement made between Zenhichi Miyamoto and Carl Heine, Sr.?
8. Why do the Japanese sit at the back of the courtroom in Amity Harbor?
9. Why is Ishmael forced to pretend he does not have feelings for Hatsue?
10. How does Kabuo enter into Hatsue's life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What did you learn about the legal system from this book, if anything? Guterson portrays the trial as fairly routine, with opening statements, examination and cross examination of witnesses, closing arguments, jury instructions and verdict. Look up the term "legal discovery" on the web, and determine how things have changed in our legal system since 1942. Is our system more efficient now? If so, in what ways? If not, in what ways? Are we more sophisticated in our legal process than before?
Essay Topic 2
With illustrations and an essay, teach us about women's clothing in 1943, especially the clothing that would help us understand the knife-pleats and long darts of Hatsue Miyamoto's outfits that she wore to her husband's trial. Try to find old newspaper ads, and provide details as to fabrics and embellishments.
Essay Topic 3
Carl Heine's accident is one that the Coast Guard missed entirely. Research historical Coast Guard rescues, and summarize their stories. What is the biggest challenge for the Coast Guard, and how have they dealt with obstacles that confront them? Wrap up your essay with a critical review of the coast guard, and determine whether they are an important branch of the military or whether they are just a lookout crew.
This section contains 872 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)