|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ishmael's job as a marine was that of
2. In the time of the Japanese islanders' grandparents, the U.S. census
3. Carl Heine, Jr. sealed his deal with Ole by giving him
4. The defendant in this murder trial is
5. The Queen of the Strawberry Festival is always a
Short Essay Questions
1. This chapter is full of symbolism. What is the most sensual event that Guterson describes between Hatsue and Ishmael?
2. In most of the anecdotes of snow-related catastrophes on the island, Guterson uses the opportunity to remind us of the folksy nature of this small-town community. Identify some of those instances.
3. How does Kabuo enter into Hatsue's life?
4. Why were Japanese citizens being arrested in the US?
5. Why is Ishmael forced to pretend he does not have feelings for Hatsue?
6. Describe Amity Harbor. Is it an upscale town? Does it seem inviting?
7. Why would Horace Whaley even consider that someone of Japanese descent had hit Carl Heine in the head?
8. What stops Ishmael and Hatsue from having sexual relations in the hollow tree?
9. Explain the hysteria on San Piedro Island when the news of the Pearl Harbor attack is announced.
10. What makes Hatsue and Ishmael close?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Among so many other topics, Guterson touches on what it is like to have a physical deficit, such as Ishmael's missing arm. Write a persuasive argument about whether we, as a culture, provide sufficient conveniences for those with disabilities. Look up the ADA (Americans With Disabilities Act), and determine whether the laws that govern public places have taken into account people like Ishmael Chambers, who is forced to do everything with one arm and hand.
Essay Topic 2
Where in our country is the largest concentration of strawberry farming? Research and write an essay on strawberry farming in America. What is the perfect climate and soil for strawberry farming? Is the farming still primarily done by workers of a different nationality? What is the percentage of strawberries that are imported into our country compared with what we grow domestically?
Essay Topic 3
Find another form of Japanese stick fighting besides Kendo, and write a lesson plan for someone who wants to learn it. Provide a bit of background and history, as well as some graphics that demonstrate the moves and the weapon.
This section contains 893 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)