|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Among other ailments, attorney Nels Gundersson
2. Why did Kabuo's father bury the swords and other belongings in the strawberry field?
3. When Ishmael complains about the Japanese,
4. In daydreams in his jail cell, Kabuo wanders around
5. When Carl, Sr. had a stroke, Etta jumped at the chance to
Short Essay Questions
1. What makes Hatsue and Ishmael close?
2. Why was Ole Jurgensen unwilling to hand over the Miyamoto's seven acres to Kabuo?
3. Describe Amity Harbor. Is it an upscale town? Does it seem inviting?
4. How does Kabuo enter into Hatsue's life?
5. Besides having to dissect dead bodies, why is Horace Whaley's job particularly difficult?
6. Why does Kabuo's demeanor seem cold and hard?
7. Ishmael's experience at war is as horrendous as it gets. What is his attitude toward Hatsue by now, and why?
8. Although serious, this trial still has the feel of a small town affair. What are some reasons for that?
9. Why does Hatsue ignore Ishmael at school?
10. Why would Horace Whaley even consider that someone of Japanese descent had hit Carl Heine in the head?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What brought the Japanese to the Northwestern corner of the U.S.? How did they get there, and why? Is there still a considerable Japanese population in the island off of Washington state? What is the Japanese population in Washington, in general? Where is the highest concentration? Compare the two cultures and give your opinions on why people such as the Japanese would want to live in the U.S.
Essay Topic 2
World War II was devastating in so many ways. Although this story is not a war story, the war and its effects are threaded throughout, affecting everyone in San Piedro Island. Write an essay, choosing three characters, and expand on the ways that the war affects their lives, their decisions, their thinking and their actions.
Essay Topic 3
Cedar trees are some of the most magical, aromatic trees on earth. Research cedars and report on where they thrive, their size and environment, their uses and their native habitats. Include photos and, if you live near cedars, a small frond of the fragrant tree. Include any threats to cedars, as well as what conditions make them thrive. Let your imagination help you better understand the atmosphere in the hollow cedar tree, and write about that, as well.
This section contains 890 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)