|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Etta does not want Carl to sell any acreage to Zenhichi Miyamoto because
2. The knife sheath found on Carl Heine's body
3. Nels opens up the possibility that the wound on Carl's head could have come from
4. Hatsue's father is frightened by the Pearl Harbor news and
5. After the kiss on the beach, Ishmael finds himself
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the situation between Hatsue and Ishmael after the Pearl Harbor attack.
2. Why would reporters from out of town be attending Miyamoto's trial?
3. Discuss the ironies of the war activities Ishmael was involved in when he was injured.
4. Describe Amity Harbor. Is it an upscale town? Does it seem inviting?
5. Why does Hatsue ignore Ishmael at school?
6. Why does Kabuo's attorney, Nels, challenge him to a game of chess before they discuss the case?
7. What is the agreement made between Zenhichi Miyamoto and Carl Heine, Sr.?
8. What interrupts the Miyamotos' purchase of seven acres of the Heines' property
9. Why does Hatsue's mother tear up the letter she has written to Ishmael's parents?
10. What was the convincing factor in Sheriff Moran's decision to get a search warrant for Kabuo's boat?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What brought the Japanese to the Northwestern corner of the U.S.? How did they get there, and why? Is there still a considerable Japanese population in the island off of Washington state? What is the Japanese population in Washington, in general? Where is the highest concentration? Compare the two cultures and give your opinions on why people such as the Japanese would want to live in the U.S.
Essay Topic 2
World War II was devastating in so many ways. Although this story is not a war story, the war and its effects are threaded throughout, affecting everyone in San Piedro Island. Write an essay, choosing three characters, and expand on the ways that the war affects their lives, their decisions, their thinking and their actions.
Essay Topic 3
With illustrations and an essay, teach us about women's clothing in 1943, especially the clothing that would help us understand the knife-pleats and long darts of Hatsue Miyamoto's outfits that she wore to her husband's trial. Try to find old newspaper ads, and provide details as to fabrics and embellishments.
This section contains 874 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)