|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Hatsue testifies that after Kabuo's initial meeting with Carl Heine, Jr., Kabuo was
2. Nels Gundersson at 79, feels as though he
(a) Has been betrayed by his body
(b) Is a wise and strong old man
(c) Could still have a good sex life
(d) Is still a young man
3. Jury instructions from the trial judge are intended to
(a) Sway the jurors one way or the other
(b) Instruct the jurors how to reach their decision
(c) Teach the jurors the legal system
(d) Remind the jurors of the need for speed
4. Kabuo and Carl make a deal for the seven acres, and seal it with
(a) A salute
(b) A promise to return the fishing rod
(c) Friendly smiles
(d) Gripping hands together
5. Giving the Imadas a ride home in the snow, Ishmael learns that
(a) Hatsue and her children are in danger
(b) Hatsue has moved to a different town
(c) Hatsue is getting a divorce
(d) Hatsue is staying with her family during the trial
Short Answer Questions
1. When Kabuo asks to buy back his land, Carl Heine tells him
2. How did Carl Heine, Jr. die?
3. Ishmael goes to the Coast Guard station intending to look at
4. Kabuo Miyamoto's demeanor as he looks out at the snow makes the jurors think that
5. Kabuo thinks his fate is sealed because
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the irony behind the power failure in the middle of this trial?
2. What new information does Hatsue provide that sheds a new light on the incident involving Carl Heine?
3. Describe what Ishmael discovered in the Coast Guard radioman's notes.
4. How does the author foreshadow a turn of events in the trial?
5. Although things are looking a little better for Kabuo, his story is once again compromised by a question from Alvin Hooks. Explain how he damages his testimony in this chapter.
6. Why did Kabuo and Hatsue not inform the Sheriff of what they said really happened on the night of Carl Heine's death?
7. Why does the author refer more than once to the smell of snow?
8. Why does Guterman get so graphic about the sex lives of Carl and Susan Marie Heine?
9. What is Alvin Hooks' motivation in trying to convict Kabuo? How would winning the case benefit Nels Gudmundsson?
10. Explain how Carl's blood ended up on the handle of Kabuo's fishing gaff.
This section contains 944 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)