|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Outside, as the snowfall diminishes, Ishmael notices
(a) Things remain the same
(b) How bright the sun has become
(c) The debris and mess from the wind
(d) The blind chaos in the world
2. Just as the Sheriff appeared with a search warrant, Kabuo had
(a) Hidden his batteries away
(b) Been washing his boat
(c) Accidentally killed a seagull
(d) Put his fishing gaff in the hold
3. When Ishmael begged Hatsue to hold him
(a) She looks at him with disgust and pity
(b) She holds him for just a few minutes
(c) She refuses to do so
(d) She tells him again she does not love him
4. Kabuo Miyamoto wants to be a fisherman
(a) Only for one more year
(b) Until he becomes wealthy
(c) Only until Ole sells his farm
(d) For the rest of his life
5. After the war Hatsue learned to live with
(a) Kabuo's impotence
(b) Kabuo not wanting children
(c) Her husband's sorrow and guilt
(d) Her husband's poor wages
Short Answer Questions
1. Hatsue testifies that the morning of Carl Heine's death, Kabuo came home
2. Why did Hatsue not notify the authorities about Kabuo's deal with Carl Heine, Jr.?
3. Ishmael's speech to his mother about Kabuo includes a great deal of
4. Did island fishermen go aboard one another's boats out in the water?
5. Susan Marie understands that Carl Heine needed
Short Essay Questions
1. What, ultimately, could have been Carl Heine's greatest failing, according to Ishmael?
2. What is the irony behind the power failure in the middle of this trial?
3. Why does Guterman get so graphic about the sex lives of Carl and Susan Marie Heine?
4. What is the glimmer of hope that comes from Susan Marie's testimony?
5. What is Alvin Hooks' motivation in trying to convict Kabuo? How would winning the case benefit Nels Gudmundsson?
6. Although things are looking a little better for Kabuo, his story is once again compromised by a question from Alvin Hooks. Explain how he damages his testimony in this chapter.
7. Why does Moran suspect the blow to Carl Heine's head was from a kendo stick?
8. Why did Kabuo and Hatsue not inform the Sheriff of what they said really happened on the night of Carl Heine's death?
9. Describe what Ishmael discovered in the Coast Guard radioman's notes.
10. Learning that Carl has kept Kabuo's fishing rod all these years suggests that Kabuo might be telling the truth? Explain this.
This section contains 927 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)