|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Nels Gundersson gets Dr. Whitman to admit that the blood on the gaff is likely from
(a) Kabuo Miyamoto's hand
(b) The salmon Carl caught
(c) The head of Carl Heine
(d) The wound to Carl Heine's hand
2. Why didn't Kabuo remember getting an extra battery before he went fishing on the morning of his arrest?
(a) It didn't fit with his story
(b) It did not seem relevant
(c) It was three months ago
(d) It was a detail he wanted to forget
3. Hatsue feels that the coffee cup found on the deck of Carl's boat indicates
(a) Something rocked the boat and knocked it down
(b) Carl was on another of his caffeine binges
(c) Carl was angry about something
(d) There was a fight in the cabin
4. Evidence that will turn the case completely around is found by the Sheriff
(a) In the wood of the port gunnel
(b) In the boat's rest room
(c) On the floor of the boat's cabin
(d) On the cleats of the boat
5. Hatsue testifies that the morning of Carl Heine's death, Kabuo came home
(a) Anxious to get his money from the bank
(b) Happy he had been able to help Carl
(c) Excited about getting his land back
(d) Worried that Carl had not come home yet
Short Answer Questions
1. Nels Gudmundsson makes the point that Susan Marie has offered evidence that
2. Ishmael learns that the seamen who were on duty the night of Carl's death
3. Jury instructions from the trial judge are intended to
4. Outside, as the snowfall diminishes, Ishmael notices
5. Carl Heine and Susan Marie Heine's marriage was a relationship based on
Short Essay Questions
1. Learning that Carl has kept Kabuo's fishing rod all these years suggests that Kabuo might be telling the truth? Explain this.
2. Explain how Carl's blood ended up on the handle of Kabuo's fishing gaff.
3. Why does the author refer more than once to the smell of snow?
4. What is peculiar about islanders and their relationships?
5. What is it that keeps Alexander Van Ness from agreeing to convict Kabuo Miyamoto?
6. Why does Moran suspect the blow to Carl Heine's head was from a kendo stick?
7. Why does Ishmael make a racial slur when Hatsue expresses sympathy for the loss of his arm?
8. The idea of inclement weather has been woven throughout the story, including the heavy snowfall that has caused problems during the trial of Kabuo Miyamoto. What inspires Ishmael's decision to check with the coast guard about weather conditions at the time of Carl Heine's demise?
9. Why did Kabuo and Hatsue not inform the Sheriff of what they said really happened on the night of Carl Heine's death?
10. What finally inspires Ishmael to take the Coast Guard report to Hatsue?
This section contains 966 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)