|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Arthur Chambers was an organized man who
(a) Skipped an education
(b) Never learned craftsmanship
(c) Led a busy and productive life
(d) Disliked his job
2. Josiah Gillanders, for thirty years has been
(a) The town drunk
(b) An island gill-netter
(c) A retired fisherman
(d) An experienced clammer
3. The best argument against the prosecution is that
(a) Kabuo's desire for farming was not that strong
(b) Kabuo fought for the US in the war
(c) Kabuo was accused because he is Japanese
(d) Kabuo is not capable of committing a crime
4. Why did Hatsue not notify the authorities about Kabuo's deal with Carl Heine, Jr.?
(a) She did not want to upset Susan Marie
(b) It would complicate the murder trial
(c) It might look like Kabuo murdered Carl
(d) She was afraid the deal would fall through
5. After the jury is excused, Ishmael contemplates his
(a) Ongoing desire for Hatsue
(b) Plan to make sure Kabuo is convicted
(c) Decision not to give Soames the report
(d) Prejudice against all Japanese
Short Answer Questions
1. Ishmael Chambers suffers from
2. Hatsue testifies that the morning of Carl Heine's death, Kabuo came home
3. Evidence that will turn the case completely around is found by the Sheriff
4. Gillanders speculates that Kabuo could not have
5. Just as the Sheriff appeared with a search warrant, Kabuo had
Short Essay Questions
1. What finally inspires Ishmael to take the Coast Guard report to Hatsue?
2. Why do you think Ishmael does not tell his mother about the records he found at the Coast Guard office?
3. Although things are looking a little better for Kabuo, his story is once again compromised by a question from Alvin Hooks. Explain how he damages his testimony in this chapter.
4. What is it that keeps Alexander Van Ness from agreeing to convict Kabuo Miyamoto?
5. What is peculiar about islanders and their relationships?
6. What scenario has prosecutor, Alvin Hooks, cooked up to try to bolster his case against Kabuo?
7. Learning that Carl has kept Kabuo's fishing rod all these years suggests that Kabuo might be telling the truth? Explain this.
8. Why does Moran suspect the blow to Carl Heine's head was from a kendo stick?
9. Why does the author refer more than once to the smell of snow?
10. Why does Ishmael make a racial slur when Hatsue expresses sympathy for the loss of his arm?
This section contains 872 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)