|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Hooks excuses Hatsue, she is prevented from
(a) Telling Hooks her opinion
(b) Defending Kabuo's actions
(c) Expressing her love for Kabuo
(d) Fully answering his last question
2. The best argument against the prosecution is that
(a) Kabuo was accused because he is Japanese
(b) Kabuo's desire for farming was not that strong
(c) Kabuo is not capable of committing a crime
(d) Kabuo fought for the US in the war
3. Revisiting the old cedar tree of his youth, Ishmael realizes clearly that
(a) His youth lay in the empty cedar tree
(b) He had no business coming to this tree
(c) Passionate affairs are for the young
(d) The beauty of the world is in its cold silence
4. Dr. Whitman has done an examination of
(a) Susan marie's motives
(b) Kabuo's mental state
(c) The fishing gaff
(d) Carl Heine's hand
5. To accommodate ships in heavy fog, the Coast Guard had installed
(a) Louder and more effective foghorns
(b) Sounding boards along the beaches
(c) Flashing warning lights all along the beach
(d) Radar whistle blast buoys
Short Answer Questions
1. His arm, as well as Hatsue, have been taken from Ishmael because
2. How did Carl Heine, Jr. die?
3. At the trial, Susan Marie's demeanor inspires
4. Before he set out to fish, Kabuo put his hand on the water and
5. Carl Heine and Susan Marie Heine's marriage was a relationship based on
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think Ishmael does not tell his mother about the records he found at the Coast Guard office?
2. What effect does the power outage have on the ambiance in the courtroom?
3. What is the glimmer of hope that comes from Susan Marie's testimony?
4. What is the reason for Art Moran's visit to Judge Lew Fielding in this chapter?
5. Explain how Carl's blood ended up on the handle of Kabuo's fishing gaff.
6. Why did Kabuo and Hatsue not inform the Sheriff of what they said really happened on the night of Carl Heine's death?
7. The idea of inclement weather has been woven throughout the story, including the heavy snowfall that has caused problems during the trial of Kabuo Miyamoto. What inspires Ishmael's decision to check with the coast guard about weather conditions at the time of Carl Heine's demise?
8. Why does Guterman get so graphic about the sex lives of Carl and Susan Marie Heine?
9. Does Sergeant Maples have any personal motives for seeming to incriminate Kabuo in his testimony?
10. What is peculiar about islanders and their relationships?
This section contains 966 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)