|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Did island fishermen go aboard one another's boats out in the water?
(a) Frequently for parties
(b) Only in an emergency
(c) Often to help with the fish
(d) Only in secret
2. After the war, Hatsue remembers the night that Kabuo
(a) Disappeared into the rainy night
(b) Learned the art of Kendo stick fighting
(c) Retrieved the buried family treasures
(d) Kabuo dressed like a bugeisha
3. Ishmael does not feel his mother can understand his
(a) Remorse for his actions
(b) Emotional coldness
(c) Rage for Hatsue
(d) Prejudice against Japanese
4. Before Kabuo could come forward with his story of the events on the boat with Carl Heine,
(a) He became too angry to talk
(b) Etta Heine accosted him
(c) Sheriff Moran arrested him
(d) Hatsue warned him not to
5. Susan Marie understands that Carl Heine needed
(a) A large strawberry crop
(b) A lot of space
(c) Time to himself
(d) A boat to escape in
Short Answer Questions
1. As they leave court, Nels Gudmundsson mentions to Ishmael
2. Kabuo Miyamoto had not told the truth about helping Carl Heine to anyone but
3. Alvin Hooks' inappropriate behavior brings to the jury's attention
4. Reading, for Nels, causes a flareup of his
5. Hatsue hoped that having children would help Kabuo
Short Essay Questions
1. Hooks makes a significant misjudgment in his closing argument as he paints a scenario of Kabuo luring Carl Heine in by faking an emergency. Discuss his mistakes.
2. Explain how Carl's blood ended up on the handle of Kabuo's fishing gaff.
3. What is the glimmer of hope that comes from Susan Marie's testimony?
4. What is it that keeps Alexander Van Ness from agreeing to convict Kabuo Miyamoto?
5. What is the reason for Art Moran's visit to Judge Lew Fielding in this chapter?
6. What is Alvin Hooks' motivation in trying to convict Kabuo? How would winning the case benefit Nels Gudmundsson?
7. What, ultimately, could have been Carl Heine's greatest failing, according to Ishmael?
8. Why does Moran suspect the blow to Carl Heine's head was from a kendo stick?
9. Nels Gudmundsson makes a fascinating statement about Hooks' tactics with regard to racism. Discuss this.
10. Describe Ishmael's experience as he views the devastation from the storm, the sunken docks and ravaged town. What does it mean?
This section contains 844 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)