|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The jurors cannot convict the defendant if there remains in their minds
(a) A reasonable doubt
(b) Any anger toward the defendant
(c) A prejudice against Japanese
(d) A premeditated decision
2. Ishmael finds among the Coast Guard records for September 15 and 16 that
(a) The Corona hit Carl's fishing boat
(b) A large ship went off course toward anacortes
(c) A large ship cut through Carl Heine's fishing area
(d) The Corona heard Carl's fog warning
3. After the jury is excused, Ishmael contemplates his
(a) Ongoing desire for Hatsue
(b) Decision not to give Soames the report
(c) Plan to make sure Kabuo is convicted
(d) Prejudice against all Japanese
4. Ishmael describes Kabuo's demeanor at trial as
5. Why did Hatsue not notify the authorities about Kabuo's deal with Carl Heine, Jr.?
(a) She was afraid the deal would fall through
(b) It would complicate the murder trial
(c) It might look like Kabuo murdered Carl
(d) She did not want to upset Susan Marie
Short Answer Questions
1. Hatsue feels that the coffee cup found on the deck of Carl's boat indicates
2. Kabuo Miyamoto's demeanor as he looks out at the snow makes the jurors think that
3. Before Kabuo could come forward with his story of the events on the boat with Carl Heine,
4. Ishmael remembers that his father did not
5. Helen Chambers reminds Ishmael to remember all the facts so that he can
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Kabuo and Hatsue not inform the Sheriff of what they said really happened on the night of Carl Heine's death?
2. What scenario has prosecutor, Alvin Hooks, cooked up to try to bolster his case against Kabuo?
3. Hooks makes a significant misjudgment in his closing argument as he paints a scenario of Kabuo luring Carl Heine in by faking an emergency. Discuss his mistakes.
4. What does Guterson mean when he says that, "...the prosecutor, knew well the value of a Susan Marie Heine."
5. What is peculiar about islanders and their relationships?
6. Why does Ishmael not take his information from the coast guard directly to Judge Fielding as he figures he father would have done?
7. What finally inspires Ishmael to take the Coast Guard report to Hatsue?
8. Learning that Carl has kept Kabuo's fishing rod all these years suggests that Kabuo might be telling the truth? Explain this.
9. What is Alvin Hooks' motivation in trying to convict Kabuo? How would winning the case benefit Nels Gudmundsson?
10. Does Sergeant Maples have any personal motives for seeming to incriminate Kabuo in his testimony?
This section contains 1,038 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)