|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Hatsue not notify the authorities about Kabuo's deal with Carl Heine, Jr.?
(a) She did not want to upset Susan Marie
(b) She was afraid the deal would fall through
(c) It would complicate the murder trial
(d) It might look like Kabuo murdered Carl
2. Alvin Hooks suggests that what really happened out at sea that night was that
(a) Kabuo lured Carl Heine to his boat
(b) Kabuo forcefully boarded Carl's boat
(c) Kabuo tried to rob Carl Heine
(d) Kabuo trapped Carl in his net
3. Ishmael had always pretended that his visits to his mother's home
(a) Were without strings
(b) Were just habit
(c) Were for her benefit
(d) Were just a duty
4. In Kabuo's case, the jurors can only consider first degree murder or
(a) Accidental death
(c) Pre-meditated murder
5. Helen Chambers suggests that Ishmael
(a) Move back in with her
(b) Write a strong editorial about prejudice
(c) Not involve himself in the trial
(d) Move away and find a job
Short Answer Questions
1. Helen Chambers reminds Ishmael to remember all the facts so that he can
2. As they leave court, Nels Gudmundsson mentions to Ishmael
3. At the trial, Susan Marie's demeanor inspires
4. Kabuo Miyamoto had not told the truth about helping Carl Heine to anyone but
5. When recess is called, Judge Fielding asks
Short Essay Questions
1. Although things are looking a little better for Kabuo, his story is once again compromised by a question from Alvin Hooks. Explain how he damages his testimony in this chapter.
2. What is it that keeps Alexander Van Ness from agreeing to convict Kabuo Miyamoto?
3. Things are looking grim for Kabuo Miyamoto. Why does the fishing gaff appear to be the perfect weapon for Kabuo to have used to murder Carl Heine, Jr.
4. Describe what Ishmael discovered in the Coast Guard radioman's notes.
5. What is peculiar about islanders and their relationships?
6. Hooks makes a significant misjudgment in his closing argument as he paints a scenario of Kabuo luring Carl Heine in by faking an emergency. Discuss his mistakes.
7. Why does the author refer more than once to the smell of snow?
8. What is the reason for Art Moran's visit to Judge Lew Fielding in this chapter?
9. Explain how Carl's blood ended up on the handle of Kabuo's fishing gaff.
10. What is Alvin Hooks' motivation in trying to convict Kabuo? How would winning the case benefit Nels Gudmundsson?
This section contains 934 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)