|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Kabuo asks to buy back his land, Carl Heine tells him
(a) Absolutely not
(b) His mother hates Japs
(c) His wife will not allow it
(d) He will need to think about it
2. Nels Gundersson gets Dr. Whitman to admit that the blood on the gaff is likely from
(a) The wound to Carl Heine's hand
(b) Kabuo Miyamoto's hand
(c) The salmon Carl caught
(d) The head of Carl Heine
3. Ishmael remembers that his father did not
(a) Appear to wish for something else
(b) Read all of his books
(c) Slow down much
(d) Read the paper very much
4. While the Sheriff reads the shorthand notes on the Coast Guard report
(a) Abel comes in to pick up Art for the trial
(b) Abel comes in to say the phones are up
(c) Abel appears to know what is going on
(d) Abel appears to have been at the docks
5. Nels Gundersson at 79, feels as though he
(a) Could still have a good sex life
(b) Is still a young man
(c) Has been betrayed by his body
(d) Is a wise and strong old man
Short Answer Questions
1. What is now discovered about Carl's boat that the Sheriff missed earlier?
2. Carl and Susan Marie live in a
3. How did Carl Heine, Jr. die?
4. Reading, for Nels, causes a flareup of his
5. Kabuo Miyamoto's demeanor as he looks out at the snow makes the jurors think that
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Guterson mean when he says that, "...the prosecutor, knew well the value of a Susan Marie Heine."
2. How does the author foreshadow a turn of events in the trial?
3. Describe what Ishmael discovered in the Coast Guard radioman's notes.
4. What, ultimately, could have been Carl Heine's greatest failing, according to Ishmael?
5. Why does Moran suspect the blow to Carl Heine's head was from a kendo stick?
6. Hooks makes a significant misjudgment in his closing argument as he paints a scenario of Kabuo luring Carl Heine in by faking an emergency. Discuss his mistakes.
7. Learning that Carl has kept Kabuo's fishing rod all these years suggests that Kabuo might be telling the truth? Explain this.
8. What is the irony behind the power failure in the middle of this trial?
9. What is it that keeps Alexander Van Ness from agreeing to convict Kabuo Miyamoto?
10. Why does Ishmael make a racial slur when Hatsue expresses sympathy for the loss of his arm?
This section contains 841 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)