|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The jurors cannot convict the defendant if there remains in their minds
(a) A reasonable doubt
(b) A premeditated decision
(c) A prejudice against Japanese
(d) Any anger toward the defendant
2. Kabuo is arrested due to the
(a) Lie about the new mooring line
(b) Lack of resistance he has shown
(c) Attitude he has taken toward the Sheriff
(d) Discovery of a gaff with a bloody handle
3. Hatsue hoped that having children would help Kabuo
(a) Become less obsessed with his dream of farming
(b) Become more focused on something besides himself
(c) Become a better husband and son
(d) Become more open and giving
4. Kabuo Miyamoto wants to be a fisherman
(a) Only for one more year
(b) For the rest of his life
(c) Only until Ole sells his farm
(d) Until he becomes wealthy
5. Ishmael goes to the Coast Guard station intending to look at
(a) Old storm records and reports
(b) Storm related accident reports
(c) Shipping accident reports
(d) Fog related shipping accidents
Short Answer Questions
1. Ishmael Chambers suffers from
2. Hatsue testifies that after Kabuo's initial meeting with Carl Heine, Jr., Kabuo was
3. Before Kabuo could come forward with his story of the events on the boat with Carl Heine,
4. Carl and Susan Marie live in a
5. Fisherman leapfrogging one another's nets are said to be
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the reason for Art Moran's visit to Judge Lew Fielding in this chapter?
2. What scenario has prosecutor, Alvin Hooks, cooked up to try to bolster his case against Kabuo?
3. What is the glimmer of hope that comes from Susan Marie's testimony?
4. Describe Ishmael's experience as he views the devastation from the storm, the sunken docks and ravaged town. What does it mean?
5. Why does Ishmael not take his information from the coast guard directly to Judge Fielding as he figures he father would have done?
6. Why does Ishmael make a racial slur when Hatsue expresses sympathy for the loss of his arm?
7. Learning that Carl has kept Kabuo's fishing rod all these years suggests that Kabuo might be telling the truth? Explain this.
8. Why does the author refer more than once to the smell of snow?
9. Explain how Carl's blood ended up on the handle of Kabuo's fishing gaff.
10. What is it that keeps Alexander Van Ness from agreeing to convict Kabuo Miyamoto?
This section contains 805 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)