|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Carl Heine, Jr. sealed his deal with Ole by giving him
(a) Eight hundred dollars and a note
(b) A thousand dollars down
(c) A signed note
(d) A note and a handshake
2. As Japanese Americans are being arrested, Ishmael blindly thinks
(a) That he and Hatsue will be together forever
(b) The government will not bother with San Piedro
(c) All Japanese workers will be exempt
(d) He can save Hatsue
3. Kabuo Miyamoto's demeanor at his trial reveals
4. The morning her family leaves for the internment camps, Fujiko Imada avoids Ilse Severense because
(a) Ilse is a racist at heart
(b) Ilse has always been condescending
(c) She is from Seattle
(d) Fujiko is ashamed
5. As a gesture toward his customers, Einar Petersen offered
(a) Free canned goods
(c) A warm woodstove
(d) Free coffee
Short Answer Questions
1. Ishmael tells Hatsue her hair smells like
2. Sheriff Moran testifies that he
3. Amity Harbor is
4. Hatsue tells Ishmael they have both gotten good at
5. The significance of the four pieces of mooring line is
Short Essay Questions
1. What makes Hatsue and Ishmael close?
2. In most of the anecdotes of snow-related catastrophes on the island, Guterson uses the opportunity to remind us of the folksy nature of this small-town community. Identify some of those instances.
3. Besides having to dissect dead bodies, why is Horace Whaley's job particularly difficult?
4. Does the idea of a Japanese Strawberry Princess strike you as odd? Why were the princesses never Swedish or Norwegian or other nationalities?
5. What is the agreement made between Zenhichi Miyamoto and Carl Heine, Sr.?
6. Why were Japanese citizens being arrested in the US?
7. Why do the Japanese sit at the back of the courtroom in Amity Harbor?
8. How does Kabuo enter into Hatsue's life?
9. What was the convincing factor in Sheriff Moran's decision to get a search warrant for Kabuo's boat?
10. Why does Hatsue ignore Ishmael at school?
This section contains 809 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)