|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The U.S. Relocation Authority announced that Japanese islanders
(a) Were to join the army or go home
(b) Were enemies of the country
(c) Were to forfeit their land
(d) Were ordered into internment
2. Why did Kabuo's father bury the swords and other belongings in the strawberry field?
(a) He wanted to bury everything from his past
(b) He knew they would be taken from him because of the war
(c) He wanted to claim the land for his own
(d) He thought he could preserve his personal history
3. Liesel Jurgensen thought Susan Marie would be happy Carl bought the farm because
(a) It was the Heine's old farm
(b) Fisherman are always gone at night
(c) They have two strong children for picking
(d) She loves strawberries
4. Over a period of four years, Ishmael and Hatsue met and spent time
(a) In a hollow cedar tree
(b) Out in the strawberry fields
(c) At the beach
(d) After school in a field
5. Hatsue's father is frightened by the Pearl Harbor news and
(a) Arms himself with swords and knives
(b) Takes cover in the family's basement
(c) Searches the sky for planes
(d) Makes the family turn out the lights
Short Answer Questions
1. When Carl, Sr. had a stroke, Etta jumped at the chance to
2. What does Hatsue do when Ishmael proposes marriage?
3. Ishmael believes his love for Hatsue is
4. Whaley challenges Art Moran and asks him if he wants to play
5. Amity Harbor is
Short Essay Questions
1. What makes Hatsue and Ishmael close?
2. Discuss the ironies of the war activities Ishmael was involved in when he was injured.
3. What interrupts the Miyamotos' purchase of seven acres of the Heines' property
4. When the aging Ole finally sold his farm, to whom did he sell it?
5. Describe Amity Harbor. Is it an upscale town? Does it seem inviting?
6. Does the idea of a Japanese Strawberry Princess strike you as odd? Why were the princesses never Swedish or Norwegian or other nationalities?
7. Why would Horace Whaley even consider that someone of Japanese descent had hit Carl Heine in the head?
8. Why do the Japanese sit at the back of the courtroom in Amity Harbor?
9. What was the convincing factor in Sheriff Moran's decision to get a search warrant for Kabuo's boat?
10. Why does Kabuo's attorney, Nels, challenge him to a game of chess before they discuss the case?
This section contains 848 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)