|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Hatsue ends her relationship with Ishmael by
(a) Letting her mother contact him
(b) Asking Sumiko to tell him
(c) Sending a message to him
(d) Writing a letter to him
2. The morning her family leaves for the internment camps, Fujiko Imada avoids Ilse Severense because
(a) Ilse is a racist at heart
(b) Ilse has always been condescending
(c) She is from Seattle
(d) Fujiko is ashamed
3. Horace Whaley testifies that the cut to Carl's hand was
(a) An old wound
(b) Obviously from a knife
(c) A very recent event
(d) Minor and irrelevant
4. The significance of the four pieces of mooring line is
(a) They held down the fishing bins
(b) They show that boats were connected
(c) They are all that was left of Carl's gear
(d) They were used to bring the body up
5. Although Ishmael claims to love her, Hatsue wants to be
Short Answer Questions
1. Ishmael Chambers returned from the war
2. As a gesture toward his customers, Einar Petersen offered
3. Sheriff Moran testifies that he
4. The knife sheath found on Carl Heine's body
5. The weather conditions on the water on the night of the murder are
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the ironies of the war activities Ishmael was involved in when he was injured.
2. Besides having to dissect dead bodies, why is Horace Whaley's job particularly difficult?
3. Why would reporters from out of town be attending Miyamoto's trial?
4. How does Kabuo enter into Hatsue's life?
5. What stops Ishmael and Hatsue from having sexual relations in the hollow tree?
6. In most of the anecdotes of snow-related catastrophes on the island, Guterson uses the opportunity to remind us of the folksy nature of this small-town community. Identify some of those instances.
7. Does the idea of a Japanese Strawberry Princess strike you as odd? Why were the princesses never Swedish or Norwegian or other nationalities?
8. Why was Ole Jurgensen unwilling to hand over the Miyamoto's seven acres to Kabuo?
9. This chapter is full of symbolism. What is the most sensual event that Guterson describes between Hatsue and Ishmael?
10. What kind of lawyer is Nels Gudmundsson?
This section contains 930 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)