|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Ishmael wants very much to talk to
(a) The defendant's son
(b) The defendant's wife
(c) The defendant, himself
(d) The defendant's father
2. The adolescent Ishmael accepted the inevitability of
(a) Loving Hatsue forever
(b) Being separated from Hatsue
(c) Losing Hatsue to her culture
(d) Having a physical relationship with Hatsue
3. Ishmael Chambers is a
(a) Local reporter
(b) A juror
(c) A judge
(d) A bailiff
4. The darkness in Carl Heine's personality, as well as in Horace Whaley's is a result of
(a) Fishing and eking out a living
(b) Fighting in World War II
(c) Working on the island since childhood
(d) Mistrust and suspicion
5. When Carl, Sr. had a stroke, Etta jumped at the chance to
(a) Move to the city
(b) Sell the farm
(c) Clear the strawberries
(d) Put him in a home
Short Answer Questions
1. Prior to the battle at Tarawa, Ishmael's attitude toward the war was somewhat
2. Art Moran does not want Ishmael to let on
3. After the Pearl Harbor attack, the Japanese on San Piedro Island
4. The weather conditions on the water on the night of the murder are
5. As a gesture toward his customers, Einar Petersen offered
Short Essay Questions
1. In most of the anecdotes of snow-related catastrophes on the island, Guterson uses the opportunity to remind us of the folksy nature of this small-town community. Identify some of those instances.
2. Describe Amity Harbor. Is it an upscale town? Does it seem inviting?
3. Why does Hatsue's mother tear up the letter she has written to Ishmael's parents?
4. Why does Kabuo's demeanor seem cold and hard?
5. We learn that Carl Heine is a precise, organized and capable man. Can you think of a reason that the author is giving us such a detailed description of a deceased person?
6. What makes Hatsue and Ishmael close?
7. How does Kabuo enter into Hatsue's life?
8. What interrupts the Miyamotos' purchase of seven acres of the Heines' property
9. What has caused Ishmael Chambers to be so cynical?
10. Why were Japanese citizens being arrested in the US?
This section contains 825 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)