|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The U.S. Relocation Authority announced that Japanese islanders
(a) Were to forfeit their land
(b) Were to join the army or go home
(c) Were enemies of the country
(d) Were ordered into internment
2. The significance of the four pieces of mooring line is
(a) They show that boats were connected
(b) They are all that was left of Carl's gear
(c) They held down the fishing bins
(d) They were used to bring the body up
3. Ishmael's job as a marine was that of
(a) A cargo handler
(b) A lieutenant
(c) A medic
(d) A radioman
4. Carl Heine, Jr. sealed his deal with Ole by giving him
(a) A note and a handshake
(b) A thousand dollars down
(c) A signed note
(d) Eight hundred dollars and a note
5. Ishmael Chambers returned from the war
(a) Unable to walk
(c) Missing an arm
(d) With brain injuries
Short Answer Questions
1. Ishmael tells Hatsue her hair smells like
2. Hatsue's father is frightened by the Pearl Harbor news and
3. After their last meeting in the tree, Hatsue leaves feeling
4. Fujiko is furious that Hatsue was seeing a white boy, but also because
5. As children, Hatsue and Ishmael hunt together for
Short Essay Questions
1. Does Sergeant Maples have any personal motives for seeming to incriminate Kabuo in his testimony?
2. What does Guterson mean when he says that, "...the prosecutor, knew well the value of a Susan Marie Heine."
3. Why does Ishmael make a racial slur when Hatsue expresses sympathy for the loss of his arm?
4. Things are looking grim for Kabuo Miyamoto. Why does the fishing gaff appear to be the perfect weapon for Kabuo to have used to murder Carl Heine, Jr.
5. Explain how Carl's blood ended up on the handle of Kabuo's fishing gaff.
6. Nels Gudmundsson makes a fascinating statement about Hooks' tactics with regard to racism. Discuss this.
7. Describe what Ishmael discovered in the Coast Guard radioman's notes.
8. What kind of lawyer is Nels Gudmundsson?
9. What is Alvin Hooks' motivation in trying to convict Kabuo? How would winning the case benefit Nels Gudmundsson?
10. Hooks makes a significant misjudgment in his closing argument as he paints a scenario of Kabuo luring Carl Heine in by faking an emergency. Discuss his mistakes.
This section contains 911 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)