|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Life at Manzanar is
(a) Like a spiritual gathering
(b) A challenge, but pleasant
(c) Difficult and dirty
(d) Good for children
2. The Queen of the Strawberry Festival is always a
(a) Young Native American
(b) A woman farmer
(c) A white girl
(d) Young Japanese girl
3. The defendant in this murder trial is
(a) Alvin Hooks
(b) Kaburo Masyimoto
(c) Art Moran
(d) Abel Martinson
4. Ishmael Chambers is a
(a) Local reporter
(b) A judge
(c) A bailiff
(d) A juror
5. In the time of the Japanese islanders' grandparents, the U.S. census
(a) Reported a higher number of Japanese than were there
(b) Renamed all the Japanese with American names
(c) Gave the Japanese joke names
(d) Ignored the Japanese population
Short Answer Questions
1. After their last meeting in the tree, Hatsue leaves feeling
2. Sumiko intervenes in Hatsue's life by
3. The U.S. Relocation Authority announced that Japanese islanders
4. As a young child, Hatsue was carefully trained to
5. The Alien Land Law
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Kabuo enter into Hatsue's life?
2. Although serious, this trial still has the feel of a small town affair. What are some reasons for that?
3. Explain the hysteria on San Piedro Island when the news of the Pearl Harbor attack is announced.
4. Why does Hatsue ignore Ishmael at school?
5. What kind of lawyer is Nels Gudmundsson?
6. Why does Kabuo's demeanor seem cold and hard?
7. We learn that Carl Heine is a precise, organized and capable man. Can you think of a reason that the author is giving us such a detailed description of a deceased person?
8. In most of the anecdotes of snow-related catastrophes on the island, Guterson uses the opportunity to remind us of the folksy nature of this small-town community. Identify some of those instances.
9. What was the convincing factor in Sheriff Moran's decision to get a search warrant for Kabuo's boat?
10. What interrupts the Miyamotos' purchase of seven acres of the Heines' property
This section contains 784 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)