|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Kabuo feels he will be exiled from his family in order to
(a) Free them from his own depression
(b) Make them better appreciate him
(c) Feel better about the crimes he has committed
(d) Pay a debt to the dead in Italy
2. Sheriff Moran testifies that he
(a) Tried to talk with Etta Heine
(b) Was told that Etta was dangerous
(c) Saw Etta Heine at the scene
(d) Spoke with Etta Heine
3. The defendant in this murder trial is
(a) Alvin Hooks
(b) Kaburo Masyimoto
(c) Art Moran
(d) Abel Martinson
4. Hatsue's father is frightened by the Pearl Harbor news and
(a) Searches the sky for planes
(b) Makes the family turn out the lights
(c) Arms himself with swords and knives
(d) Takes cover in the family's basement
5. The adolescent Ishmael accepted the inevitability of
(a) Being separated from Hatsue
(b) Losing Hatsue to her culture
(c) Loving Hatsue forever
(d) Having a physical relationship with Hatsue
Short Answer Questions
1. Carl Heine, Jr. sealed his deal with Ole by giving him
2. Ishmael's illness in South Carolina allowed him to
3. The islanders know that the outcome of this storm
4. Susan Marie Heine says that she knew
5. As a coroner, Horace Whaley
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the ironies of the war activities Ishmael was involved in when he was injured.
2. What makes Hatsue and Ishmael close?
3. Why does Kabuo's attorney, Nels, challenge him to a game of chess before they discuss the case?
4. Why does Hatsue ignore Ishmael at school?
5. Why does Hatsue's mother tear up the letter she has written to Ishmael's parents?
6. Why does Kabuo's demeanor seem cold and hard?
7. Why do the Japanese sit at the back of the courtroom in Amity Harbor?
8. Why was Ole Jurgensen unwilling to hand over the Miyamoto's seven acres to Kabuo?
9. Why were Japanese citizens being arrested in the US?
10. Besides having to dissect dead bodies, why is Horace Whaley's job particularly difficult?
This section contains 790 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)