|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the courtroom, the Japanese attendees sat
(a) At the back of the room
(b) In the front rows behind the defendant
(c) Scattered about the room
(d) In a tight group behind the jury box
2. Prior to the battle at Tarawa, Ishmael's attitude toward the war was somewhat
3. Ishmael tells Hatsue her hair smells like
4. Liesel Jurgensen thought Susan Marie would be happy Carl bought the farm because
(a) It was the Heine's old farm
(b) Fisherman are always gone at night
(c) They have two strong children for picking
(d) She loves strawberries
5. Twelve years later, Hatsue, ironically, sees Ishmael with
(a) His same coat on
(b) His glass box in hand
(c) One arm outstretched
(d) The strawberry fields behind him
Short Answer Questions
1. The defendant in this murder trial is
2. The weather conditions on the water on the night of the murder are
3. As Japanese Americans are being arrested, Ishmael blindly thinks
4. After the kiss on the beach, Ishmael finds himself
5. The morning her family leaves for the internment camps, Fujiko Imada avoids Ilse Severense because
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the convincing factor in Sheriff Moran's decision to get a search warrant for Kabuo's boat?
2. Why do you think Ishmael does not tell his mother about the records he found at the Coast Guard office?
3. Besides having to dissect dead bodies, why is Horace Whaley's job particularly difficult?
4. What effect does the power outage have on the ambiance in the courtroom?
5. Why do the Japanese sit at the back of the courtroom in Amity Harbor?
6. Why would Horace Whaley even consider that someone of Japanese descent had hit Carl Heine in the head?
7. What interrupts the Miyamotos' purchase of seven acres of the Heines' property
8. What is the reason for Art Moran's visit to Judge Lew Fielding in this chapter?
9. What, ultimately, could have been Carl Heine's greatest failing, according to Ishmael?
10. Nels Gudmundsson makes a fascinating statement about Hooks' tactics with regard to racism. Discuss this.
This section contains 706 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)