|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Ishmael's father prints instructions in his paper about
(a) What to do in an air raid
(b) How to pilot a boat if necessary
(c) How to evacuate the island
(d) How to duck and cover if attacked
2. Ishmael's illness in South Carolina allowed him to
(a) Suffer the way he wanted to
(b) Gather strength for the war
(c) Rest before he saw combat
(d) Recuperate from his emotional pain
3. Sumiko intervenes in Hatsue's life by
(a) Introducing her to Kabuo
(b) Telling their mother about Kabuo's intentions
(c) Intercepting a letter from Ishmael
(d) Tormenting Hatsue at Manzanar
4. The Queen of the Strawberry Festival is always a
(a) Young Native American
(b) A woman farmer
(c) Young Japanese girl
(d) A white girl
5. After the kiss on the beach, Ishmael finds himself
(a) Spying on Hatsue
(b) Bothering Hatsue
(c) Having dreams of other girls
(d) Ignoring Hatsue
Short Answer Questions
1. When a new wave of amtracs came on the beach, Ishmael was
2. In daydreams in his jail cell, Kabuo wanders around
3. Hatsue ends her relationship with Ishmael by
4. Fujiko is furious that Hatsue was seeing a white boy, but also because
5. Kabuo feels he will be exiled from his family in order to
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Amity Harbor. Is it an upscale town? Does it seem inviting?
2. What is the agreement made between Zenhichi Miyamoto and Carl Heine, Sr.?
3. Ishmael's experience at war is as horrendous as it gets. What is his attitude toward Hatsue by now, and why?
4. What stops Ishmael and Hatsue from having sexual relations in the hollow tree?
5. What kind of lawyer is Nels Gudmundsson?
6. Explain the hysteria on San Piedro Island when the news of the Pearl Harbor attack is announced.
7. Why would Horace Whaley even consider that someone of Japanese descent had hit Carl Heine in the head?
8. Why does Hatsue ignore Ishmael at school?
9. Does the idea of a Japanese Strawberry Princess strike you as odd? Why were the princesses never Swedish or Norwegian or other nationalities?
10. In most of the anecdotes of snow-related catastrophes on the island, Guterson uses the opportunity to remind us of the folksy nature of this small-town community. Identify some of those instances.
This section contains 970 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)