|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The weather conditions on the water on the night of the murder are
(a) Extreme wind
(b) Clear and calm
(c) Heavy snow
(d) Heavy fog
2. Sumiko intervenes in Hatsue's life by
(a) Intercepting a letter from Ishmael
(b) Telling their mother about Kabuo's intentions
(c) Introducing her to Kabuo
(d) Tormenting Hatsue at Manzanar
3. In the time of the Japanese islanders' grandparents, the U.S. census
(a) Reported a higher number of Japanese than were there
(b) Renamed all the Japanese with American names
(c) Gave the Japanese joke names
(d) Ignored the Japanese population
4. As a gesture toward his customers, Einar Petersen offered
(a) Free coffee
(b) A warm woodstove
(d) Free canned goods
5. As a young child, Hatsue was carefully trained to
(a) Wield a kendo stick
(b) Avoid showing her feelings
(c) Walk like a model
(d) Teach literature
Short Answer Questions
1. Etta Heine testifies that her family and the Miyamotos were
2. Perhaps Kabuo's worst lingering memory of the war was
3. The islanders know that the outcome of this storm
4. In daydreams in his jail cell, Kabuo wanders around
5. In the courtroom, the Japanese attendees sat
Short Essay Questions
1. We learn that Carl Heine is a precise, organized and capable man. Can you think of a reason that the author is giving us such a detailed description of a deceased person?
2. Why would reporters from out of town be attending Miyamoto's trial?
3. Why does Hatsue ignore Ishmael at school?
4. Why does Kabuo's attorney, Nels, challenge him to a game of chess before they discuss the case?
5. How does Kabuo enter into Hatsue's life?
6. Why was Ole Jurgensen unwilling to hand over the Miyamoto's seven acres to Kabuo?
7. When the aging Ole finally sold his farm, to whom did he sell it?
8. What is the agreement made between Zenhichi Miyamoto and Carl Heine, Sr.?
9. Although serious, this trial still has the feel of a small town affair. What are some reasons for that?
10. Besides having to dissect dead bodies, why is Horace Whaley's job particularly difficult?
This section contains 748 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)