|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Kabuo Miyamoto's demeanor at his trial reveals
2. In daydreams in his jail cell, Kabuo wanders around
(c) Piedo Island and the sea
3. Carl Heine is described as being
(a) Very gregarious
(b) A careless individual
(c) Tidy and respectable
(d) Meticulously clean
4. Ole Jurgensen wants to sell his farm now because
(a) His interest in farming has waned
(b) He wants to move on to better things
(c) He wants to live in the city
(d) He has had a stroke
5. Fujiko is furious that Hatsue was seeing a white boy, but also because
(a) Hatsue set a bad example for Sumiko
(b) Hatsue's reptuation was ruined
(c) Hatsue's school work was affected
(d) Hatsue has been lying to her
Short Answer Questions
1. The darkness in Carl Heine's personality, as well as in Horace Whaley's is a result of
2. As a young child, Hatsue was carefully trained to
3. When his arm was amputated, Ishmael's anger seems to be directed toward
4. Nels Gundersson gets Horace Whaley to admit that
5. When a new wave of amtracs came on the beach, Ishmael was
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Kabuo enter into Hatsue's life?
2. Why do the Japanese sit at the back of the courtroom in Amity Harbor?
3. Why does Kabuo's attorney, Nels, challenge him to a game of chess before they discuss the case?
4. Although serious, this trial still has the feel of a small town affair. What are some reasons for that?
5. Why does Hatsue's mother tear up the letter she has written to Ishmael's parents?
6. In most of the anecdotes of snow-related catastrophes on the island, Guterson uses the opportunity to remind us of the folksy nature of this small-town community. Identify some of those instances.
7. Explain the hysteria on San Piedro Island when the news of the Pearl Harbor attack is announced.
8. Does the idea of a Japanese Strawberry Princess strike you as odd? Why were the princesses never Swedish or Norwegian or other nationalities?
9. What was the convincing factor in Sheriff Moran's decision to get a search warrant for Kabuo's boat?
10. What has caused Ishmael Chambers to be so cynical?
This section contains 917 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)