|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Ole Jurgensen bought the old Miyamoto house as a place for his
(a) Manager and pickers
(b) Children and their children
(c) Neighbors who were homeless
(d) Wife when she was intolerable
2. The islanders know that the outcome of this storm
(a) Was beyond their control
(b) Would be easy to deal with
(c) Would be destructive
(d) Would be devastating
3. Over a period of four years, Ishmael and Hatsue met and spent time
(a) Out in the strawberry fields
(b) After school in a field
(c) In a hollow cedar tree
(d) At the beach
4. The weather conditions on the water on the night of the murder are
(a) Heavy snow
(b) Extreme wind
(c) Heavy fog
(d) Clear and calm
5. Horace Whaley testifies that the cut to Carl's hand was
(a) An old wound
(b) Obviously from a knife
(c) Minor and irrelevant
(d) A very recent event
Short Answer Questions
1. In the courtroom, the Japanese attendees sat
2. Sheriff Moran testifies that he
3. Carl Heine is described as being
4. The Queen of the Strawberry Festival is always a
5. In the time of the Japanese islanders' grandparents, the U.S. census
Short Essay Questions
1. We learn that Carl Heine is a precise, organized and capable man. Can you think of a reason that the author is giving us such a detailed description of a deceased person?
2. Besides having to dissect dead bodies, why is Horace Whaley's job particularly difficult?
3. Why do the Japanese sit at the back of the courtroom in Amity Harbor?
4. When the aging Ole finally sold his farm, to whom did he sell it?
5. Why was Ole Jurgensen unwilling to hand over the Miyamoto's seven acres to Kabuo?
6. What interrupts the Miyamotos' purchase of seven acres of the Heines' property
7. What stops Ishmael and Hatsue from having sexual relations in the hollow tree?
8. Ishmael's experience at war is as horrendous as it gets. What is his attitude toward Hatsue by now, and why?
9. Why would reporters from out of town be attending Miyamoto's trial?
10. What has caused Ishmael Chambers to be so cynical?
This section contains 845 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)