|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Upon seeing Carl Heine's corpse, Abel Martinson
2. Hatsue tells Ishmael they have both gotten good at
(a) Lying to themselves
(b) Being devious
(c) Cutting school
(d) Outsmarting their parents
3. Sumiko intervenes in Hatsue's life by
(a) Telling their mother about Kabuo's intentions
(b) Tormenting Hatsue at Manzanar
(c) Intercepting a letter from Ishmael
(d) Introducing her to Kabuo
4. When Ishmael complains about the Japanese,
(a) He decides he also hates Hatsue's family
(b) Hatsue reminds him she is Japanese
(c) His father includes his comments in the newspaper
(d) His mother tells him to calm himself
5. The significance of the four pieces of mooring line is
(a) They show that boats were connected
(b) They were used to bring the body up
(c) They held down the fishing bins
(d) They are all that was left of Carl's gear
Short Answer Questions
1. Prior to the battle at Tarawa, Ishmael's attitude toward the war was somewhat
2. Carl Heine suggests that his wife, Etta, has
3. Fujiko is furious that Hatsue was seeing a white boy, but also because
4. Kabuo feels he will be exiled from his family in order to
5. The adolescent Ishmael accepted the inevitability of
Short Essay Questions
1. Why were Japanese citizens being arrested in the US?
2. This chapter is full of symbolism. What is the most sensual event that Guterson describes between Hatsue and Ishmael?
3. Does the idea of a Japanese Strawberry Princess strike you as odd? Why were the princesses never Swedish or Norwegian or other nationalities?
4. Although serious, this trial still has the feel of a small town affair. What are some reasons for that?
5. Why would reporters from out of town be attending Miyamoto's trial?
6. Why was Ole Jurgensen unwilling to hand over the Miyamoto's seven acres to Kabuo?
7. Discuss the ironies of the war activities Ishmael was involved in when he was injured.
8. Ishmael's experience at war is as horrendous as it gets. What is his attitude toward Hatsue by now, and why?
9. What interrupts the Miyamotos' purchase of seven acres of the Heines' property
10. What has caused Ishmael Chambers to be so cynical?
This section contains 917 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)