Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Ishmael's father, as the local newspaper owner,
(a) Ignored the Strawberry Festival
(b) Felt the Festival was too racist to cover
(c) Was supportive of the Strawberry Festival celebration
(d) Went to the festival to see the young women
2. Hatsue visits the hollow cedar throughout her childhood to
(a) Meet boys
(b) Make her parents worry
(d) Take daytime naps
3. Horace Whaley testifies that the cut to Carl's hand was
(a) Obviously from a knife
(b) A very recent event
(c) Minor and irrelevant
(d) An old wound
4. Carl Heine is described as being
(a) A careless individual
(b) Very gregarious
(c) Meticulously clean
(d) Tidy and respectable
5. San Piedro's hills are green with
(b) Pine and fir forest
(c) Cedar trees
(d) Mint farming
Short Answer Questions
1. The defendant in this murder trial is
2. As a gesture toward his customers, Einar Petersen offered
3. What does the red foam from Carl's mouth indicate?
4. When Ishmael and Hatsue begin to make love, Hatsue realizes
5. Twelve years later, Hatsue, ironically, sees Ishmael with
Short Essay Questions
1. This chapter is full of symbolism. What is the most sensual event that Guterson describes between Hatsue and Ishmael?
2. Describe Ishmael's experience as he views the devastation from the storm, the sunken docks and ravaged town. What does it mean?
3. What scenario has prosecutor, Alvin Hooks, cooked up to try to bolster his case against Kabuo?
4. What is the irony behind the power failure in the middle of this trial?
5. How does the author foreshadow a turn of events in the trial?
6. Discuss the ironies of the war activities Ishmael was involved in when he was injured.
7. What interrupts the Miyamotos' purchase of seven acres of the Heines' property
8. What is Alvin Hooks' motivation in trying to convict Kabuo? How would winning the case benefit Nels Gudmundsson?
9. Why does Ishmael make a racial slur when Hatsue expresses sympathy for the loss of his arm?
10. What effect does the power outage have on the ambiance in the courtroom?
This section contains 824 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)