|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the red foam from Carl's mouth indicate?
(a) He was dead before he hit the water
(b) He had respiratory failure
(c) He suffocated and drowned
(d) He had air in his lungs when he hit the water
2. Kabuo feels he will be exiled from his family in order to
(a) Free them from his own depression
(b) Make them better appreciate him
(c) Feel better about the crimes he has committed
(d) Pay a debt to the dead in Italy
3. Twelve years later, Hatsue, ironically, sees Ishmael with
(a) The strawberry fields behind him
(b) His same coat on
(c) One arm outstretched
(d) His glass box in hand
4. The adolescent Ishmael accepted the inevitability of
(a) Being separated from Hatsue
(b) Loving Hatsue forever
(c) Losing Hatsue to her culture
(d) Having a physical relationship with Hatsue
5. Sheriff Moran testifies that he
(a) Spoke with Etta Heine
(b) Was told that Etta was dangerous
(c) Saw Etta Heine at the scene
(d) Tried to talk with Etta Heine
Short Answer Questions
1. When Ishmael and Hatsue begin to make love, Hatsue realizes
2. Carl Heine suggests that his wife, Etta, has
3. The darkness in Carl Heine's personality, as well as in Horace Whaley's is a result of
4. Sumiko intervenes in Hatsue's life by
5. Art Moran does not want Ishmael to let on
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Alvin Hooks' motivation in trying to convict Kabuo? How would winning the case benefit Nels Gudmundsson?
2. Why were Japanese citizens being arrested in the US?
3. Although serious, this trial still has the feel of a small town affair. What are some reasons for that?
4. Does the idea of a Japanese Strawberry Princess strike you as odd? Why were the princesses never Swedish or Norwegian or other nationalities?
5. Why does Ishmael make a racial slur when Hatsue expresses sympathy for the loss of his arm?
6. What is the agreement made between Zenhichi Miyamoto and Carl Heine, Sr.?
7. What does Guterson mean when he says that, "...the prosecutor, knew well the value of a Susan Marie Heine."
8. Describe Amity Harbor. Is it an upscale town? Does it seem inviting?
9. Nels Gudmundsson makes a fascinating statement about Hooks' tactics with regard to racism. Discuss this.
10. What scenario has prosecutor, Alvin Hooks, cooked up to try to bolster his case against Kabuo?
This section contains 981 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)