|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The adolescent Ishmael accepted the inevitability of
(a) Being separated from Hatsue
(b) Losing Hatsue to her culture
(c) Loving Hatsue forever
(d) Having a physical relationship with Hatsue
2. Nels Gudmundsson is
(a) The sitting judge
(b) The prosecuting attorney
(c) The court recorder
(d) Kabuo's attorney
3. Hatsue ends her relationship with Ishmael by
(a) Sending a message to him
(b) Letting her mother contact him
(c) Asking Sumiko to tell him
(d) Writing a letter to him
4. Land leased by Miyamoto was to go to Kabuo when
(a) Kabuo reached the age of twenty
(b) Etta said it was time
(c) The war started
(d) Half the payments were made
5. After the kiss on the beach, Ishmael finds himself
(a) Bothering Hatsue
(b) Spying on Hatsue
(c) Ignoring Hatsue
(d) Having dreams of other girls
Short Answer Questions
1. Hatsue's mother is upset and decides to
2. Ishmael's father prints instructions in his paper about
3. Ishmael tells Hatsue her hair smells like
4. Hatsue visits the hollow cedar throughout her childhood to
5. Ishmael wants very much to talk to
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the hysteria on San Piedro Island when the news of the Pearl Harbor attack is announced.
2. How does Kabuo enter into Hatsue's life?
3. Although serious, this trial still has the feel of a small town affair. What are some reasons for that?
4. What kind of lawyer is Nels Gudmundsson?
5. Why does Kabuo's demeanor seem cold and hard?
6. We learn that Carl Heine is a precise, organized and capable man. Can you think of a reason that the author is giving us such a detailed description of a deceased person?
7. When the aging Ole finally sold his farm, to whom did he sell it?
8. Does the idea of a Japanese Strawberry Princess strike you as odd? Why were the princesses never Swedish or Norwegian or other nationalities?
9. What interrupts the Miyamotos' purchase of seven acres of the Heines' property
10. Why does Kabuo's attorney, Nels, challenge him to a game of chess before they discuss the case?
This section contains 804 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)