|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Carl, Sr. had a stroke, Etta jumped at the chance to
(a) Clear the strawberries
(b) Move to the city
(c) Sell the farm
(d) Put him in a home
2. Carl Heine, Jr. sealed his deal with Ole by giving him
(a) A note and a handshake
(b) Eight hundred dollars and a note
(c) A signed note
(d) A thousand dollars down
3. Hatsue tells Ishmael they have both gotten good at
(a) Lying to themselves
(b) Cutting school
(c) Being devious
(d) Outsmarting their parents
4. Ishmael Chambers is a
(a) Local reporter
(b) A judge
(c) A juror
(d) A bailiff
5. Sumiko intervenes in Hatsue's life by
(a) Introducing her to Kabuo
(b) Intercepting a letter from Ishmael
(c) Tormenting Hatsue at Manzanar
(d) Telling their mother about Kabuo's intentions
Short Answer Questions
1. Hatsue visits the hollow cedar throughout her childhood to
2. When Carl Heine's boat was found,
3. During the time that Kabuo is in jail
4. In the time of the Japanese islanders' grandparents, the U.S. census
5. The Alien Land Law
Short Essay Questions
1. Why would Horace Whaley even consider that someone of Japanese descent had hit Carl Heine in the head?
2. Why does Hatsue's mother tear up the letter she has written to Ishmael's parents?
3. Describe the situation between Hatsue and Ishmael after the Pearl Harbor attack.
4. What kind of lawyer is Nels Gudmundsson?
5. What was the convincing factor in Sheriff Moran's decision to get a search warrant for Kabuo's boat?
6. What has caused Ishmael Chambers to be so cynical?
7. Why does Hatsue ignore Ishmael at school?
8. Why was Ole Jurgensen unwilling to hand over the Miyamoto's seven acres to Kabuo?
9. Discuss the ironies of the war activities Ishmael was involved in when he was injured.
10. Does the idea of a Japanese Strawberry Princess strike you as odd? Why were the princesses never Swedish or Norwegian or other nationalities?
This section contains 853 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)