|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Perhaps Kabuo's worst lingering memory of the war was
(a) Shooting a child
(b) Storming the beach
(c) The German atrocities
(d) His best friend's death
2. Many Japanese workers sent money to Japan to buy
(b) Passage home
3. When his arm was amputated, Ishmael's anger seems to be directed toward
(a) The pharmacist
(b) His mother
(c) The army
4. In the courtroom, the Japanese attendees sat
(a) Scattered about the room
(b) In the front rows behind the defendant
(c) In a tight group behind the jury box
(d) At the back of the room
5. As Japanese Americans are being arrested, Ishmael blindly thinks
(a) The government will not bother with San Piedro
(b) That he and Hatsue will be together forever
(c) All Japanese workers will be exempt
(d) He can save Hatsue
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hatsue do when Ishmael proposes marriage?
2. Susan Marie Heine says that she knew
3. Etta Heine met her husband, Carl, in
4. The knife sheath found on Carl Heine's body
5. Carl Heine is described as being
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Hatsue's mother tear up the letter she has written to Ishmael's parents?
2. Does the idea of a Japanese Strawberry Princess strike you as odd? Why were the princesses never Swedish or Norwegian or other nationalities?
3. Why do the Japanese sit at the back of the courtroom in Amity Harbor?
4. What has caused Ishmael Chambers to be so cynical?
5. Why is Ishmael forced to pretend he does not have feelings for Hatsue?
6. Why does Kabuo's attorney, Nels, challenge him to a game of chess before they discuss the case?
7. What interrupts the Miyamotos' purchase of seven acres of the Heines' property
8. Why would reporters from out of town be attending Miyamoto's trial?
9. Although serious, this trial still has the feel of a small town affair. What are some reasons for that?
10. Why were Japanese citizens being arrested in the US?
This section contains 816 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)