|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Susan Marie Heine says that she knew
(a) Carl was careless about his boat
(b) Carl was intoxicated when he left
(c) Carl's death would happen some day
(d) Carl was suicidal
2. The significance of the four pieces of mooring line is
(a) They are all that was left of Carl's gear
(b) They show that boats were connected
(c) They were used to bring the body up
(d) They held down the fishing bins
3. Upon seeing Carl Heine's corpse, Abel Martinson
4. Ole and Leisel Jurgensen had two visitors on the same day--September 7. They were
(a) Susan Marie Heine and Etta Heine
(b) Kabuo Miyamoto and Carl Heine, Jr.
(c) Etta Heine and Carl Heine, Sr.
(d) Carl Heine, Sr. and Kabuo Miyamoto
5. Nels opens up the possibility that the wound on Carl's head could have come from
(a) A broken mast
(b) A fall before he went over
(c) A drunken stagger
(d) Propulsion rather than a blow
Short Answer Questions
1. Land leased by Miyamoto was to go to Kabuo when
2. Nels Gudmundsson is
3. As a gesture toward his customers, Einar Petersen offered
4. Many Japanese workers sent money to Japan to buy
5. The morning her family leaves for the internment camps, Fujiko Imada avoids Ilse Severense because
Short Essay Questions
1. What stops Ishmael and Hatsue from having sexual relations in the hollow tree?
2. Why does Hatsue's mother tear up the letter she has written to Ishmael's parents?
3. What was the convincing factor in Sheriff Moran's decision to get a search warrant for Kabuo's boat?
4. Besides having to dissect dead bodies, why is Horace Whaley's job particularly difficult?
5. Why does Hatsue ignore Ishmael at school?
6. What interrupts the Miyamotos' purchase of seven acres of the Heines' property
7. Discuss the ironies of the war activities Ishmael was involved in when he was injured.
8. Why does Kabuo's attorney, Nels, challenge him to a game of chess before they discuss the case?
9. What kind of lawyer is Nels Gudmundsson?
10. Describe Amity Harbor. Is it an upscale town? Does it seem inviting?
This section contains 798 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)