|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Fujiko is furious that Hatsue was seeing a white boy, but also because
(a) Hatsue has been lying to her
(b) Hatsue's reptuation was ruined
(c) Hatsue set a bad example for Sumiko
(d) Hatsue's school work was affected
2. Prior to the battle at Tarawa, Ishmael's attitude toward the war was somewhat
3. Twelve years later, Hatsue, ironically, sees Ishmael with
(a) The strawberry fields behind him
(b) His same coat on
(c) His glass box in hand
(d) One arm outstretched
4. Kabuo Miyamoto's demeanor at his trial reveals
5. The abusive sergeant from J Company who lectured the men at the seawall
(a) Was shot through the spine
(b) Was saved by a medic
(c) Crawled away and hid by the wall
(d) Lost his leg
Short Answer Questions
1. When a new wave of amtracs came on the beach, Ishmael was
2. The people of Amity Harbor are frightened about the possibility of
3. Many Japanese workers sent money to Japan to buy
4. Perhaps Kabuo's worst lingering memory of the war was
5. After the kiss on the beach, Ishmael finds himself
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Kabuo enter into Hatsue's life?
2. Discuss the ironies of the war activities Ishmael was involved in when he was injured.
3. Why is Ishmael forced to pretend he does not have feelings for Hatsue?
4. Why do the Japanese sit at the back of the courtroom in Amity Harbor?
5. Describe the situation between Hatsue and Ishmael after the Pearl Harbor attack.
6. What interrupts the Miyamotos' purchase of seven acres of the Heines' property
7. Although serious, this trial still has the feel of a small town affair. What are some reasons for that?
8. We learn that Carl Heine is a precise, organized and capable man. Can you think of a reason that the author is giving us such a detailed description of a deceased person?
9. Why would reporters from out of town be attending Miyamoto's trial?
10. What has caused Ishmael Chambers to be so cynical?
This section contains 885 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)