|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Ishmael Chambers is a
(a) A juror
(b) A judge
(c) Local reporter
(d) A bailiff
2. Although Ishmael claims to love her, Hatsue wants to be
3. The people of Amity Harbor are frightened about the possibility of
(a) Being attacked by the Japanese
(b) The Japanese moving ashore with weapons
(c) The Japanese confiscating their boats
(d) Being attacked from within
4. In the courtroom, the Japanese attendees sat
(a) Scattered about the room
(b) In a tight group behind the jury box
(c) In the front rows behind the defendant
(d) At the back of the room
5. The snowstorm on San Piedro
(a) Promises to be a minor one
(b) is wreaking havoc everywhere
(c) Is a pleasant diversion
(d) Is an unusual event
Short Answer Questions
1. Nels opens up the possibility that the wound on Carl's head could have come from
2. The Queen of the Strawberry Festival is always a
3. When Carl Heine's boat was found,
4. Ole and Leisel Jurgensen had two visitors on the same day--September 7. They were
5. Ishmael's illness in South Carolina allowed him to
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the ironies of the war activities Ishmael was involved in when he was injured.
2. We learn that Carl Heine is a precise, organized and capable man. Can you think of a reason that the author is giving us such a detailed description of a deceased person?
3. Describe Amity Harbor. Is it an upscale town? Does it seem inviting?
4. Why does Hatsue ignore Ishmael at school?
5. Why is Ishmael forced to pretend he does not have feelings for Hatsue?
6. Why does Kabuo's attorney, Nels, challenge him to a game of chess before they discuss the case?
7. What kind of lawyer is Nels Gudmundsson?
8. Although serious, this trial still has the feel of a small town affair. What are some reasons for that?
9. What is the agreement made between Zenhichi Miyamoto and Carl Heine, Sr.?
10. What stops Ishmael and Hatsue from having sexual relations in the hollow tree?
This section contains 877 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)