Chapter 1 | Chapter 2
• On a snowy morning, Kabuo Miyamoto sits in a crowded Amity Harbor courtroom at his murder trial, before a jury and Judge Llewellyn Fielding.
• The author reveals the history of the island, San Piedro, a generally peaceful area, and Amity Harbor, the island's only town.
• Among the news reporters is Ishmael Chambers, who tries to speak to Kabuo's wife, Hatsue, but is rejected and hushed by her.
• County sheriff Art Moran testifies about Carl Heine's fishing boat being sighted adrift with its fishing lights on in White Sand Bay on September 16, the day Heine died.
• Moran and his deputy Abel Martinson found the empty boat with a marine battery and coffee cup on the floor, and determine Carl fell overboard..
• Carl had been a a gunner during the US invasion of Okinawa and came home to be a gill netter and churchgoing family man, his...
This section contains 3,399 words
(approx. 12 pages at 300 words per page)