|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Ka and Ipek talk about just after they make love?
2. Who does Sunay dictate a newspaper article about that says he has died onstage during dinner in front of Ka?
3. What is the name of the poem that Orhan envisioned at Ka's old dormitory that originated from Necip's story?
4. Who is not waiting for Orhan at the train station when he leaves Kars?
5. How long does Kadife serve in prison for killing Sunay?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Blue's prison cell described when Ka visits with him on Sunay's orders?
2. What does Blue tell Ka he has changed his mind about regarding Kadife going through with Sunay's play when he goes to visit him?
3. How is Kadife's punishment for killing Sunay described?
4. What does Sunay tell Serdar Bey to write two articles about to be printed in his paper the next day during their meeting with Ka before Sunay's final play performance?
5. How is Sunay's final performance of his play described?
6. What does Z Demirkol reveal to Ka regarding Ipek after grabbing him in the street?
7. What is the nature of the people's descriptions of Ka according to those Orhan meets with on his visit to Kars?
8. What is the nature of the letters Ka and Blue write to assure Blue's protection while he is held prisoner?
9. How is the National Theater described when Ipek and Turgut arrive just before Sunay's play?
10. Why does Ipek decide not to go with Ka to Germany?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the role of the coup de theatre in the book. What final message was Sunay trying to send by having Kadife play a part in his final performance?
Essay Topic 2
True to the book's name, the substance of snow is used throughout the book to evoke memories, inspire poetry and note individualism in nature.
Part 1.) What symbolic meaning does Ka have for snow in regards to his childhood?
Part 2.) What might the author hope for snow to represent in terms of character development in the book?
Part 3.) What is telling about Ka's research of snowflakes and comparing their individuality to people?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the portrayal of jealousy in the book, noting Ka's irrationality once it entered the picture. What reasons can explain Ka's sudden jealousy that may have caused him to lose Ipek forever?
This section contains 775 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)