|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Z Demirkol tell Ka has been Blue's mistress for years?
2. What does Ipek wish to show Ka after he confronts her about her affair with Blue?
3. What archives does Orhan ask Ipek to get for him so he can see Ka's performance of his poem that is undocumented?
4. What does Ipek say happens to a person's belongings after they die?
5. How is the atmosphere inside Blue's secret meeting at Hotel Asia described?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Kadife's role in Sunay's final play?
2. How does Ka describe his need for writing "The Place Where the World Ends"?
3. What does Blue tell Ka he has changed his mind about regarding Kadife going through with Sunay's play when he goes to visit him?
4. What is the nature of the people's descriptions of Ka according to those Orhan meets with on his visit to Kars?
5. How does Blue's meeting at Hotel Asia become hard to control?
6. What is the nature of Ka and Muhtar's meeting at a tea house in "A Godless man in Kars, the Fear of Being Shot"?
7. How are Turgut Bey's wool gloves described that he insists on taking to his meeting with Blue?
8. How is Kadife's punishment for killing Sunay described?
9. What does Z Demirkol reveal to Ka regarding Ipek after grabbing him in the street?
10. What happens to Ka when he leaves a café after writing the poem "Jealous"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the portrayal of politics in the book, noting characters such as Sunay Zaim and Z Demirkol. What might the author be saying about the political system of Kars based on the negativity surrounding their methods?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the book, the notion of the local women wearing a headscarf is examined.
Part 1.) What do the headscarves represent to the women of Kars in terms of their religious beliefs?
Part 2.) What motivations can be pointed at for why the women are suddenly asked to remove their headscarves?
Part 3.) What can be learned about the impact the removing of headscarves can have on the female psyche based on the suicides of the young women who didn't want to remove them?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the role of newspapers in the book, noting their highlight of the corruptness of Kars. What does Serdar Bey's tendency to make headlines the day before they happen say about the nature of those in power in Kars?
This section contains 830 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)