|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does Kadife serve in prison for killing Sunay?
2. What is Ka's reaction when Ipek tells him that she will go to Germany with him?
3. Who does Ipek ask Kadife about when she and Turgut find her in the National Theatre just before the final play performance?
4. What does Ipek concentrate on so as not to get angry while being locked in Ka's room?
5. Who tells Ipek that Blue and Hande have been killed?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Blue tell Ka he has changed his mind about regarding Kadife going through with Sunay's play when he goes to visit him?
2. What is the nature of the people's descriptions of Ka according to those Orhan meets with on his visit to Kars?
3. What happens to Ka when he leaves a café after writing the poem "Jealous"?
4. What does Z Demirkol reveal to Ka regarding Ipek after grabbing him in the street?
5. Describe Ipek and Ka's interaction when she comes to see him after his dinner with Serdar and Turgut.
6. What does Serdar say to Ka after being accused of writing a poor portrayal of him in his paper during a dinner?
7. How does Blue's meeting at Hotel Asia become hard to control?
8. What does Ka do to find information on Blue after Kadife and Ipek ask him to because Blue disappeared after his rally at Hotel Asia?
9. How does Sunay describe his arrangement for Blue's release to Ka and Serdar Bey?
10. How are Funda and Kadife's rehearsal of Sunay's play described when Ka visits them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the book, the notion of the local women wearing a headscarf is examined.
Part 1.) What do the headscarves represent to the women of Kars in terms of their religious beliefs?
Part 2.) What motivations can be pointed at for why the women are suddenly asked to remove their headscarves?
Part 3.) What can be learned about the impact the removing of headscarves can have on the female psyche based on the suicides of the young women who didn't want to remove them?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the portrayal of love in the book, noting the differences between Ka's portrayal and Fazil's.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the political rivals of Blue and Sunay Zaim in the book. What was the nature of each of these men's political motivations and who was the lesser evil?
This section contains 800 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)