|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many years had Ka been away from Turkey when he returns at the beginning of the book?
2. Who does Sunay reveal is Blue's mistress and is the reason for him being in Kars?
3. What is the name of the town in Turkey that Ka is from?
4. Which of the following things does Ipek not serve Ka for breakfast the day after the revolution at the theater?
5. Who does Funda's husband tell the audience has just died before opening fire on the audience at the National Theater?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the director described after he meets a man in an elevator in a story that Necip tells Ka?
2. What is the nature of Orhan's memory of Ka's book of poems titled "Snow"?
3. What is the nature of Orhan Bey's visit to Kars?
4. What happens when Ka tells the announcer that he finds Kars very beautiful, very poor and very sad during his speech at the National Theatre?
5. How is the first time that Ka and Ipek make love described?
6. How is Sunay and Funda's seventies political theater background described in the book?
7. What is the nature of Funda Esers' skit called "My Fatherland or My Headscarf?
8. What is the nature of the favor Muhtar asks of Ka in regards to his ex-wife?
9. What do Z Dimerkol and two Turkish militants do to Ka after he leaves the National Theater after his speech?
10. How does Muhtar explain how he came to learn the teachings of the Kurdish Sheikh Saadettin Efendi?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the concept of freedom in the book and note what characters like Ka and others had to do to achieve this dream. What role did political exile have in gaining freedom in Kars?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the impact of Orhan's investigation of Ka, noting what information we were able to learn about Ka's nature. What is telling about the nature of change and consequences of actions based on the information we learn about Ka's legacy in Kars after his death?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the portrayal of religion in the book and note the importance it has in the lives of the book's characters. In what way does the author offer a skewed view of religion in the book based on the intermixing images of violence and good related to it?
This section contains 828 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)