|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the girl that Necip tells Ka he is in love with who was a model, but now wears headscarves?
2. Who does Funda's husband tell the audience has just died before opening fire on the audience at the National Theater?
3. What kind of nationalists does Ka continue to tell Blue he needs joint support of along with the ex-Communists?
4. Where does Ka secretly meet Kadife at a hotel to discuss Blue?
5. Who does Blue believe has sent Ka to be used for a purpose to him?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Sunay and Funda's seventies political theater background described in the book?
2. How does Sunay describe Necip to Ka after questioning him for kissing his dead body at the morgue?
3. What do the police want Ka to do when they take him into the station in regards to the Director of Education's death?
4. What is the nature of Ka and Fazil's conversation when Fazil approaches him in the library?
5. What is the nature of Orhan Bey's visit to Kars?
6. What is the nature of Ka's first meeting with Serdar Bey in the book?
7. What happens when Ka tells the announcer that he finds Kars very beautiful, very poor and very sad during his speech at the National Theatre?
8. What is the nature of Hande's questions to Ka regarding his poetry?
9. How does Necip describe his short science fiction story to Ka?
10. What does Ka do with the letters he promised Necip that he would give to Kadife in a stationary store?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Early on in the book, it becomes clear that the city of Kars is a place with backward principles and much controversy.
Part 1.) What about Ka's entrance into Kars suggests it is a dangerous place for him to be found?
Part 2.) What do we learn about the laws and rules enacted in Kars that are biased and/or backwards towards the poor and women?
Part 3.) What can we learn about the nature of undemocratic nations based on the author's portrayal of Kars in the book?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the portrayal of love in the book, noting the differences between Ka's portrayal and Fazil's.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the concept of freedom in the book and note what characters like Ka and others had to do to achieve this dream. What role did political exile have in gaining freedom in Kars?
This section contains 868 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)