|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Ka realize now occupies a former tailor shop that was once a mansion in town?
2. What does the woman who performed "My Fatherland or My Head Scarf" do with her headscarf during the performance?
3. What is the name of Ipek's family maid?
4. What is the name of the former Communist and writer who was onstage with Sunay during the play?
5. Where does Nacip have Ka meet him to give him the love letters he wishes for him to deliver?
Short Essay Questions
1. What reason does Ka tell his fellow seatmate for why he is going to Kars during the bus ride there?
2. What do Z Dimerkol and two Turkish militants do to Ka after he leaves the National Theater after his speech?
3. What is the nature of Funda Esers' skit called "My Fatherland or My Headscarf?
4. What is the nature of Ipek and Ka's conversation when she comes to tell him the director's condition has worsened?
5. How does Muhtar explain how he came to learn the teachings of the Kurdish Sheikh Saadettin Efendi?
6. What questions does Necip ask Ka when he is standing outside the National Theater?
7. Why is the bus driver reluctant to let Ka on the bus at the beginning of the book?
8. What is the nature of the favor Muhtar asks of Ka in regards to his ex-wife?
9. How is Blue described the first time he is seen in the book?
10. How is Sunay and Funda's seventies political theater background described in the book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the portrayal of atheism in the book, noting its impact in an Islamic nation such as Kars. What is telling of the feelings towards a Western belief like atheism based on Fazil's commentary regarding it in the book?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the sisters Ipek and Kadife in the book. What is telling of the bond these sisters share based on their work with Blue's cause?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the role of newspapers in the book, noting their highlight of the corruptness of Kars. What does Serdar Bey's tendency to make headlines the day before they happen say about the nature of those in power in Kars?
This section contains 830 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)