|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the café Ka stops at to get directions, but stops to listen to a sheik?
2. What poet does Ka tell Sunay that he and Muhtar both read when he says he must have grown up on Western films?
3. What is the name of the poem Ka writes after asking Ipek repeatedly to go to bed with him?
4. What is Ka consumed by after being taken into the police station for the first time in the book?
5. Which of the following things does Ipek not serve Ka for breakfast the day after the revolution at the theater?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the nature of Ipek and Ka's conversation when she comes to tell him the director's condition has worsened?
2. How does Necip describe his short science fiction story to Ka?
3. What is the nature of Orhan Bey's visit to Kars?
4. Why is the bus driver reluctant to let Ka on the bus at the beginning of the book?
5. How does Muhtar explain how he came to learn the teachings of the Kurdish Sheikh Saadettin Efendi?
6. How is Blue described the first time he is seen in the book?
7. What is the nature of Orhan's memory of Ka's book of poems titled "Snow"?
8. How does Sunay describe Necip to Ka after questioning him for kissing his dead body at the morgue?
9. What reason does Ka tell his fellow seatmate for why he is going to Kars during the bus ride there?
10. What happens at the end of Sunay's first play at the National Theatre?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the concept of freedom in the book and note what characters like Ka and others had to do to achieve this dream. What role did political exile have in gaining freedom in Kars?
Essay Topic 2
True to the book's name, the substance of snow is used throughout the book to evoke memories, inspire poetry and note individualism in nature.
Part 1.) What symbolic meaning does Ka have for snow in regards to his childhood?
Part 2.) What might the author hope for snow to represent in terms of character development in the book?
Part 3.) What is telling about Ka's research of snowflakes and comparing their individuality to people?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the role of control in the book, paying close attention to its impact in the political and theatrical groups in the book. What methods did characters like Sunay Zaim and Z Dimerkol use to gain control over others?
This section contains 869 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)