|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Ka secretly meet Kadife at a hotel to discuss Blue?
2. What poet does Ka tell Sunay that he and Muhtar both read when he says he must have grown up on Western films?
3. What does Ka watch after making love to Ipek for the first time?
4. Where has Ka just returned from reading poetry when he is killed?
5. Where does Ka ask to stop to write down a poem when being driven to another facility to identify the Director of Education's killer?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the nature of the favor Muhtar asks of Ka in regards to his ex-wife?
2. What do Z Dimerkol and two Turkish militants do to Ka after he leaves the National Theater after his speech?
3. How is the director of the Institute for Education killed?
4. What is the nature of Ka's first meeting with Serdar Bey in the book?
5. How is the first time that Ka and Ipek make love described?
6. What happens at the end of Sunay's first play at the National Theatre?
7. What does Ka do with the letters he promised Necip that he would give to Kadife in a stationary store?
8. What is the nature of Ka's conversation with the sheikh when he first sees him at the Green Pastures café?
9. How is the director described after he meets a man in an elevator in a story that Necip tells Ka?
10. Why is the bus driver reluctant to let Ka on the bus at the beginning of the book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the role of newspapers in the book, noting their highlight of the corruptness of Kars. What does Serdar Bey's tendency to make headlines the day before they happen say about the nature of those in power in Kars?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role of drinking in the book, notably as it is used as a coping mechanism. How does Ka's use of alcohol to forget his problems differ from Funda's, who uses it to manipulate others?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the portrayal of jealousy in the book, noting Ka's irrationality once it entered the picture. What reasons can explain Ka's sudden jealousy that may have caused him to lose Ipek forever?
This section contains 870 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)