|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Y.T. notice about people that are brainwashed?
2. What does Y.T. ask the clerk at the hotel?
3. Who brewed a potion to kill the Nipponese officers?
4. Who or what discovers Y.T.?
5. How does Y.T. break her fall from the helicopter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is L. Bob Rife's interest in Y.T. in Chapter 60?
2. How does Hiro learn more about the wireheads?
3. Rife is angry at Y.T. for delivering the package to Hiro. Why doesn't he kill her or infect her?
4. Who wins the fight between Raven and Uncle Enzo?
5. How was glossalia suppressed?
6. What do Raven and Y.T. have in common?
7. Fisheye tells Hiro that he is sure the pirates would listen to reason. Why would pirates listen to reason?
8. In Chapter 59, what is Hiro's plan to retrieve the tablets?
9. How has L. Bob Rife distributed the virus to the masses?
10. What does Hiro learn about Juanita in Chapter 42 and as a result decides to do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There is one character that is really round, or realistic, in this novel. Describe this character and what makes him/her a finished character. Why are his/her motives realistic? By comparison, what is the flattest, or most unrealistic character?
Essay Topic 2
Name, describe, and quote three literary devices found in this story. How are these useful to the development of the plot? Do they distract or add to the story? How?
Essay Topic 3
There are plenty of examples of ethnic stereotyping in this novel. Write an essay on an ethnic stereotype of your choice. Outline why it exists and how attitudes could be changed to alter the stereotype in question, if it should be altered at all.
This section contains 1,073 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)