|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the Raft navigate?
2. What did Lagos think Sumerian gods were?
3. What is in the briefcase recovered from T-Bone's BMW?
4. How many quadrants are in The Black Sun?
5. To what does Y.T. compare the Snow Crash?
Short Essay Questions
1. A foreboding character is introduced in Chapter 15. Who is he and what is foreshadowed in this chapter?
2. Who is Da5id?
3. Why would the appearance of Raven be a welcome distraction to Y.T.?
4. What could be a possible reason for Hiro talking about his father to Raven?
5. What is the Black Sun?
6. In Chapter 38 we see what we would consider violations to our right to privacy. What does Y.T.'s mother put up with working for the Feds?
7. How is it apparent the control Hiro has over the information system?
8. What are some possible reasons for Hiro's discomfort in the knowledge that Y.T. and Raven slept together?
9. What are Avatars?
10. How does Hiro disarm the Snow Crash bomb?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Think about the Raft gargoyles. What do you think would inspire someone without Juanita's motivations to mutilate themselves in such a fashion? If you think nothing could, speculate on how the multitudes of wireheads came to be.
Essay Topic 2
Which characters are static? Which are dynamic? Which characters are rounded and which are flat? Justify your argument by supporting it from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Name, describe, and quote three literary devices found in this story. How are these useful to the development of the plot? Do they distract or add to the story? How?
This section contains 1,694 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)