|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first thing Y.T.'s Mom does when she arrives at work?
2. What is Y.T.'s Mom's manager's name?
3. What is the drug of choice in the Sacrifice Zone?
4. What is the Snow Crash?
5. To what are the standard assembly line workers vulnerable?
Short Essay Questions
1. Uncle Enzo takes a real liking to Y.T. in Chapter 21. Why?
2. What does Chapter 37 reveal about the US Government?
3. A foreboding character is introduced in Chapter 15. Who is he and what is foreshadowed in this chapter?
4. How does the Raft navigate?
5. What is the Black Sun?
6. More ethnic stereotyping is revealed in Chapter 40. How do people from the New South Africa franchise treat Hiro?
7. In Chapter 10, there is an underlying theme that goes to extremes. What is this theme and what are some examples so far in the book?
8. What is a Nam-Shub?
9. What is the link between the virus, the drug and L. Bob Rife?
10. In Chapter 33, we learn more about Enki and his history. What is notable to Hiro?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Crips are actually an L.A. based gang. Discuss reasons why such a role would be occupied by a gang that exists in the real world. Discuss the use of this group of characters and what it reflects upon their society.
Essay Topic 2
Name, describe, and quote three literary devices found in this story. How are these useful to the development of the plot? Do they distract or add to the story? How?
Essay Topic 3
Which characters are static? Which are dynamic? Which characters are rounded and which are flat? Justify your argument by supporting it from the text.
This section contains 935 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)