|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Juanita want Hiro to avoid?
2. From whose point of view is this chapter narrated?
3. What is Nam-Shub?
4. What does Ng tell Y.T. to do with the vial when she has it?
5. Of what does the story of Enki remind Hiro?
Short Essay Questions
1. According the the Librarian in Chapter 30, what are some links between the Cult of Asherah and the Bible?
2. How is it apparent the control Hiro has over the information system?
3. For the first time in this book, the effects of the drug Snow Crash are revealed to Hiro. What are they?
4. More ethnic stereotyping is revealed in Chapter 40. How do people from the New South Africa franchise treat Hiro?
5. What is the Sacrifice Zone?
6. Why might a big wig like Uncle Enzo want to meet Y.T. Kourier, and how does he go about arranging such a meeting?
7. What does Chapter 37 reveal about the US Government?
8. There are two new additions in Hiro's office within the Metaverse. What are they and what are their functions?
9. When Y.T. enters Fedland, what else can we note about the present government?
10. What are some possible reasons that Y.T. might feel uncomfortable around the people of Griffith Park and the Falabalas?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There is one character that is really round, or realistic, in this novel. Describe this character and what makes him/her a finished character. Why are his/her motives realistic? By comparison, what is the flattest, or most unrealistic character?
Essay Topic 2
There are plenty of examples of ethnic stereotyping in this novel. Write an essay on an ethnic stereotype of your choice. Outline why it exists and how attitudes could be changed to alter the stereotype in question, if it should be altered at all.
Essay Topic 3
What does Rife's control over the Raft's navigation and his control over his followers have in common? How does that compare to the control religious heads today have over their followers? Compare Rife to a current religious head of your choice. What are his/her commonalities/differences?
This section contains 1,114 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)