|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Shimamura notice Komako doesn't mention when she talks about Yukio?
2. What time in the morning is it when Komako enters Shimamura's room "dead drunk"?
3. What kind of grass used to thatch roofs does Shimamura see some women carrying?
4. How many geisha serve the thirty guests of the party that Komako works at?
5. What festival is held in the resort town in February?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Komako's reaction to the news that Yukio is dying?
2. After delivering a note to Shimamura, what does Yoko ask of him concerning her travel plans?
3. What do Shimamura and Komako do the night before he is to leave for Tokyo?
4. After Yukio's death, what does Komako inform Shimamura about Yoko in Part Two of the novel?
5. What does Komako tell Shimamura of the geisha Kikuyu?
6. What warning does Shimamura's wife give him before his trip to the resort town?
7. At the time of Shimamura's return in Part 2, what is Komako's financial situation like?
8. What is the bird chasing festival?
9. Who is on the train with Shimamura when he leaves the resort town for the second time, and how do they disappoint him?
10. What does Shimamura find when he awakes at the beginning of this section of Part One?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss and interpret the imagery used at the end of the novel. For instance, what is the meaning behind the Milky Way and Yoko's body floating?
Essay Topic 2
Kawabata makes numerous allusions to the Tanabata legend. Discuss the effectiveness of this comparison in the story and why Kawabata makes the comparison.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the cold and isolated atmosphere of the novel. What is the author trying to express with this atmosphere?
This section contains 752 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)