|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Shimamura suppose Yoko thinks of Komako?
2. Where did the food come from that the innkeeper's wife is warming?
3. Why does Komako say she has come to Shimamura's room?
4. Who runs up to Komako at the train station?
5. What does Komako have Yoko deliver to Shimamura?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who has Komako signed a geisha contract with and where does she live?
2. Describe Komako's drunken arrival at Shimamura's room at three in the morning.
3. How does Komako practice her samisen playing?
4. What does Shimamura find when he awakes at the beginning of this section of Part One?
5. What is Komako's reaction to the news that Yukio is dying?
6. What warning does Shimamura's wife give him before his trip to the resort town?
7. After Yukio's death, what does Komako inform Shimamura about Yoko in Part Two of the novel?
8. What makes Shimamura "strangely reluctant" to call Komako to the inn?
9. At the time of Shimamura's return in Part 2, what is Komako's financial situation like?
10. What does Komako tell Shimamura of the geisha Kikuyu?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the ending of the book. What is your interpretation of the ending scene? What significance does it have in regards to the novel as a whole? Is the ending satisfactory?
Essay Topic 2
What have you learned from reading the novel "Snow Country"?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Kawabata's use of symbolism in "Snow Country".
This section contains 693 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)