|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What promise does Komako say Shimamura broke with her?
2. In Part One, what does Shimamura discover one morning when he awakes?
3. What does Komako say is the only accomplishment she has had since last seeing Shimamura?
4. What is Komako told about Yukio at the train station?
5. What does Shimamura ask Komako about Yoko, which makes her angry?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the bird chasing festival?
2. What discussion does Shimamura overhear in the hallway?
3. How is Komako's samisen delivered to the inn?
4. What warning does Shimamura's wife give him before his trip to the resort town?
5. What is the content of the first note Komako sends to Shimamura, and who does she have deliver it?
6. What explanation does Komako give about her rumored engagement to Yukio?
7. Who is on the train with Shimamura when he leaves the resort town for the second time, and how do they disappoint him?
8. At the time of Shimamura's return in Part 2, what is Komako's financial situation like?
9. Describe the peddler that Shimamura meets.
10. What occupation did Yoko once consider, and why did she give it up?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The geisha is a prominent figure in the novel "Snow Country". Discuss the role of geisha in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the meaning of the seasons and the changing of the seasons in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how the narrative is affected by the point of view used in the novel. What is kept hidden from the reader because of this point of view?
This section contains 706 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)