|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In her new home, what must Komako do to save electricity?
2. What promise does Komako say Shimamura broke with her?
3. What is the weather like outside the night before Shimamura is to return to Tokyo?
4. In Part One, what does Shimamura discover one morning when he awakes?
5. What does Komako insist she and Shimamura do the night before he is to return to Tokyo?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is on the train with Shimamura when he leaves the resort town for the second time, and how do they disappoint him?
2. After delivering a note to Shimamura, what does Yoko ask of him concerning her travel plans?
3. What discussion does Shimamura overhear in the hallway?
4. After Yukio's death, what does Komako inform Shimamura about Yoko in Part Two of the novel?
5. What is the content of the first note Komako sends to Shimamura, and who does she have deliver it?
6. What explanation does Komako give about her rumored engagement to Yukio?
7. Who has Komako signed a geisha contract with and where does she live?
8. What does Komako tell Shimamura of the geisha Kikuyu?
9. What makes Shimamura "strangely reluctant" to call Komako to the inn?
10. What do Shimamura and Komako do the night before he is to leave for Tokyo?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss art and culture as it relates to the novel. What traditional Japanese art and customs are mentioned in the novel? What significance do these examples have on the novel and characters?
Essay Topic 2
There are a number of ambiguous scenes and characters in the novel. Discuss the author's use of ambiguity and why you think he so often leaves it to the reader to interpret.
Essay Topic 3
Women in the 1930's behaved and were treated differently than today. How are women portrayed in the story? What role do women play in the story?
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)