|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Shimamura told that there are no geishas available?
2. What does Shimamura say he often loses with himself?
3. After he has climbed up the mountain for fun, how does Shimamura descend again?
4. What relationship does Shimamura want with Komako?
5. After visiting Komako's room, who does Shimamura meet on his way home?
Short Essay Questions
1. What effect does the weather have on Komako's visit Shimamura's room during his first visit to the resort town?
2. Who does Shimamura meet on his way home from Komako's room, and what impressed him about this person?
3. Why were there no geisha available when Shimamura requested one?
4. What kind of relationship does Shimamura apparently want with Komako?
5. How does Komako express her liking of Shimamura when she visits his room at the inn on his second visit to the resort town?
6. What opinions does Shimamura express about Komako's catalog?
7. What does Shimamura notice about Yoko's care of her sick companion?
8. What is Komako's condition when she shows up at Shimamura's room in the middle of the night on his first visit to the resort town?
9. Who does Shimamura observe on the train on his way to the resort town?
10. What does Komako find upsetting in her diary?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss and interpret the imagery used at the end of the novel. For instance, what is the meaning behind the Milky Way and Yoko's body floating?
Essay Topic 2
Is "Snow Country" a romance? Why or why? Use examples from the text to illustrate your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss art and culture as it relates to the novel. What traditional Japanese art and customs are mentioned in the novel? What significance do these examples have on the novel and characters?
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)