|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Yukio?
2. What does Komako tell Shimamura had worried her for a time?
3. What does Komako say her diary can confirm?
4. After he has climbed up the mountain for fun, how does Shimamura descend again?
5. How does Komako feel about leaving Shimamura's room?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Shimamura arrives for his second visit to the resort town, how many days does Komako say it has it been since she and Shimamura spent their night together, and how can she be sure of this?
2. What are Komako's living arrangements like?
3. Why were there no geisha available when Shimamura requested one?
4. Who does Shimamura observe on the train on his way to the resort town?
5. What does Shimamura notice about Yoko's care of her sick companion?
6. What happens with Komako on a night during Shimamura's first visit to the resort town that contradicts a decision he made earlier?
7. What distracts Shimamura after leaving his inn and the young geisha, and what does he do?
8. Why does Komako bite her own arm?
9. How does Komako express her liking of Shimamura when she visits his room at the inn on his second visit to the resort town?
10. What is Komako's condition when she shows up at Shimamura's room in the middle of the night on his first visit to the resort town?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the ending of the book. What is your interpretation of the ending scene? What significance does it have in regards to the novel as a whole? Is the ending satisfactory?
Essay Topic 2
Kawabata makes numerous allusions to the Tanabata legend. Discuss the effectiveness of this comparison in the story and why Kawabata makes the comparison.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the female leads of the novel: Komako and Yoko. Compare and contrast the following:
a) Komako's and Yoko's personality traits.
b) Komako's and Yoko's role in the story.
c) Komako's and Yoko's relationship with Shimamura.
This section contains 714 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)