|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of grass used to thatch roofs does Shimamura see some women carrying?
(a) Kaya grass.
(b) Kiseki grass.
(c) Silver grass.
(d) Midori grass.
2. While in his room, whose voice does Shimamura hear calling to Komako from the hallway?
(a) The music teacher's.
(b) A maid's.
(c) The innkeeper's.
3. Who saw Komako off when she left for geisha training?
(a) Only Yoko.
(c) Only the music teacher.
(d) Only Yukio.
4. Who has Komako signed a contract with to serve as a geisha?
(a) A loan-shark.
(b) An innkeeper.
(c) A newspaper publisher.
(d) A candy shop owner.
5. Who has died since Shimamura last left the resort town?
(a) Yukio and the music teacher.
(b) The blind masseuse.
(c) The innkeeper's daughter.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Shimamura hear Komako discussing her fee with?
2. What festival is held in the resort town in February?
3. Why does Komako say she has come to Shimamura's room?
4. Why does Komako decline Shimamura's invitation to take a bath?
5. What is the purpose of the town's February festival?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Shimamura make his third trip to the resort town?
2. What occupation did Yoko once consider, and why did she give it up?
3. What do Shimamura and Komako do the night before he is to leave for Tokyo?
4. What is Komako's point in relating Kikuyu's story to Shimamura?
5. Who is on the train with Shimamura when he leaves the resort town for the second time, and how do they disappoint him?
6. What reaction does Shimamura get from Komako when he asks about Yoko's living arrangements?
7. What warning does Shimamura's wife give him before his trip to the resort town?
8. What does Shimamura find when he awakes at the beginning of this section of Part One?
9. What is Komako's reaction to the news that Yukio is dying?
10. Describe the peddler that Shimamura meets.
This section contains 758 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)