|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At night with Shimamura, who does Komako say spend all of their time at the cemetery?
(b) The music teacher.
(c) Her mother.
2. What occupational ambition did Yoko have in the past?
(a) To be a writer.
(b) To be a nurse.
(c) To be a teacher.
(d) To be a doctor.
3. Where was Komako sent to become a geisha?
4. At the festival at night, what does Shimamura say is different in the resort town than in Tokyo?
(a) The spirit of the people.
(b) The stars.
(c) The music.
(d) The air.
5. What does Komako insist she and Shimamura do the night before he is to return to Tokyo?
(a) Bathe in the hot springs.
(b) Go drinking.
(c) Meet with Yoko.
(d) Go for a walk.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do children build out of snow during the February festival?
2. Who thought it was a good idea for Yukio and Komako to marry?
3. What does Shimamura ask Komako about Yoko, which makes her angry?
4. How does Komako practice music?
5. What does Shimamura suppose Yoko thinks of Komako?
Short Essay Questions
1. What explanation does Komako give about her rumored engagement to Yukio?
2. What is Komako's reaction to the news that Yukio is dying?
3. Who is on the train with Shimamura when he leaves the resort town for the second time, and how do they disappoint him?
4. What discussion does Shimamura overhear in the hallway?
5. After delivering a note to Shimamura, what does Yoko ask of him concerning her travel plans?
6. At the time of Shimamura's return in Part 2, what is Komako's financial situation like?
7. Why does Shimamura make his third trip to the resort town?
8. How is Komako's samisen delivered to the inn?
9. Describe the peddler that Shimamura meets.
10. Who has Komako signed a geisha contract with and where does she live?
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)