|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Shimamura pretend to look at during his trip to the resort town?
(a) His feet.
(b) The scenery.
(c) A poster.
(d) A newspaper.
2. In reference to the night they spent together, what does Shimamura assure Komako of?
(a) That he remembers it fondly.
(b) That he told nobody about it.
(c) That he was not laughing at her.
(d) That he doesn't believe Komako loves him.
3. What do Shimamura and Komako talk about?
(a) The mountains.
(b) The train.
(c) The hot springs.
4. After they sleep together, what does Komako believe Shimamura is laughing at?
(c) The radio.
(d) His wife.
5. Who does Shimamura ask to hire a geisha for him?
(a) A maid.
(b) The innkeeper.
(c) A restaurant owner.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Komako say her diary can confirm?
2. After visiting Komako's room, who does Shimamura meet on his way home?
3. How does Shimamura claim money has been sent to him?
4. What can the old woman that Shimamura meets in the latter half of Part One of the book tell about him from his physique?
5. What does Shimamura say he often loses with himself?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Komako express her liking of Shimamura when she visits his room at the inn on his second visit to the resort town?
2. Where is Shimamura headed at the beginning of the story, and who does he plan to meet?
3. While sitting on the train on his way to the resort town, what does Shimamura discreetly look at?
4. What does Shimamura notice about Yoko's care of her sick companion?
5. Why were there no geisha available when Shimamura requested one?
6. What hobby interest does Shimamura have?
7. What happens with Komako on a night during Shimamura's first visit to the resort town that contradicts a decision he made earlier?
8. What excuse does Shimamura use to leave his room with the geisha?
9. What kind of relationship does Shimamura apparently want with Komako?
10. Why has Komako started working as a geisha, according to the person Kamako meets on his way home from Komako's room?
This section contains 678 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)