|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Komako refuse to close one day when she is staying at the inn with Shimamura?
(a) A book.
(b) A cabinet.
(c) A window.
(d) A door.
2. What does Komako have to drink after barging into Shimamura's room for the second time?
3. What does Shimamura say he let himself believe about the young geisha?
(a) That they are better than other women.
(b) That they would be approving of him.
(c) That they hate their jobs.
(d) That they would all be like Komako.
4. What is Shimamura's first impression of Komako?
(a) Of cleanliness.
(b) Of confidence.
(c) Of beauty.
(d) Of ignorance.
5. What does Komako do when Shimamura tries to touch her chest?
(a) Komako crosses her arms in front of her.
(b) Komako slaps Shimamura.
(c) Komako yells at Shimamura.
(d) Komako calls for help.
Short Answer Questions
1. After they sleep together, what does Komako believe Shimamura is laughing at?
2. What does Shimamura suddenly find himself enchanted by as he leaves to collect his money?
3. What disease does Yukio, the music teacher's son, suffer from?
4. After visiting Komako's room, who does Shimamura meet on his way home?
5. How much snow is expected when Shimamura arrives in snow country?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Komako bite her own arm?
2. What is Komako's condition when she shows up at Shimamura's room in the middle of the night on his first visit to the resort town?
3. Why were there no geisha available when Shimamura requested one?
4. What does Shimamura notice about Yoko's care of her sick companion?
5. What hobby interest does Shimamura have?
6. What kind of relationship does Shimamura apparently want with Komako?
7. What symbolism does Shimamura see in the reflection of Yoko's face in the window?
8. How does Komako express her liking of Shimamura when she visits his room at the inn on his second visit to the resort town?
9. What distracts Shimamura after leaving his inn and the young geisha, and what does he do?
10. When Shimamura arrives for his second visit to the resort town, how many days does Komako say it has it been since she and Shimamura spent their night together, and how can she be sure of this?
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)