|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Komako engaged to, according to the old woman?
(a) One of her wealthy patrons.
(c) A doctor.
2. How much snow is expected when Shimamura arrives in snow country?
(a) One or two feet.
(c) Seven or eight feet.
(d) Four or five inches.
3. What does Komako tell Shimamura had worried her for a time?
(a) That she would have to leave the resort town.
(b) That she was pregnant.
(c) That she was losing her mind.
(d) That her mother hated her.
4. What does Komako intend to do with her diary before she dies?
(a) Burn it.
(b) Give it to her children.
(c) Donate it to a museum.
(d) Bury it.
5. What do Shimamura and Komako talk about?
(a) The train.
(b) The hot springs.
(d) The mountains.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Komako's purpose in creating her catalog?
2. What does Shimamura refer to as "free, uncontrolled fantasy"?
3. What condition is Komako in when she visits Shimamura's room?
4. How does Komako feel about leaving Shimamura's room?
5. Why does Komako blame Shimamura for sleeping with her?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why has Komako started working as a geisha, according to the person Kamako meets on his way home from Komako's room?
2. Where does Shimamura go the day after his night with Komako, and why might he have left?
3. What distracts Shimamura after leaving his inn and the young geisha, and what does he do?
4. What happens with Komako on a night during Shimamura's first visit to the resort town that contradicts a decision he made earlier?
5. What has Komako cataloged since she was a teenager?
6. Why doesn't the young geisha sent to Shimamura interest him?
7. What is Komako's condition when she shows up at Shimamura's room in the middle of the night on his first visit to the resort town?
8. What kind of relationship does Shimamura apparently want with Komako?
9. While sitting on the train on his way to the resort town, what does Shimamura discreetly look at?
10. Why does Komako have to leave before daylight?
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)