|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What reason does Shimamura give Komako for his third visit to the resort town?
(a) Shimamura was called to the area by a sick friend.
(b) Shimamura is visiting the hotsprings for his health.
(c) Shimamura is there to see Komako.
(d) Shimamura needed to get away from home.
2. On their first full day together, what does Shimamura suggest Komako practice?
(a) Occidental dance.
(b) The taiko drum.
(c) English words.
(d) The samisen.
3. What does Komako say of her work ethic to Shimamura?
(a) Komako works just enough to get by.
(b) Komako worked harder than anyone in her family.
(c) Komako has never had to work hard a day in her life.
(d) Komako envies people who take joy in their work.
4. How many times has Komako visited Yukio's grave?
(a) Only once.
(c) Twelve times.
(d) Three or four times.
5. Who thought it was a good idea for Yukio and Komako to marry?
(a) Yukio himself.
(b) Komako's mother.
(c) Yukio's mother.
(d) Komako herself.
6. What is the weather like outside the night before Shimamura is to return to Tokyo?
(a) It is very cold outside.
(b) It is snowing outside.
(c) It is raining outside.
(d) It is quite warm outside.
7. Who does Shimamura hear Komako discussing her fee with?
(a) Another geisha.
(b) A maid.
(d) The innkeeper.
8. At the festival at night, what does Shimamura say is different in the resort town than in Tokyo?
(a) The stars.
(b) The spirit of the people.
(c) The music.
(d) The air.
9. What obstacle can the drunken Komako not believe she surpassed on her own to reach Shimamura's room?
(a) A rickety bridge.
(b) The hill to the inn.
(c) The dark hallway.
(d) A locked gate.
10. What does Komako say repeatedly when she and Shimamura return to his room after their night out?
(a) That she loves Shimamura.
(b) That she is going home
(c) That she doesn't feel well.
(d) That she doesn't want Shimamura to go back to Tokyo.
11. What do children build out of snow during the February festival?
(b) A snow palace.
12. In her new home, what must Komako do to save electricity?
(a) Bathe in cold water.
(b) Wash her clothes by hand.
(c) Read by candlelight.
(d) Burn coal for heat.
13. Where does Shimamura learn that Yoko is working?
(a) At the inn.
(b) At a geisha house.
(c) At the candy shop.
(d) At the hospital.
14. What does Komako apparently stop trying to do when staying at Shimamura's?
(a) Sitting on the floor.
(c) Drinking too much alcohol
(d) Leaving before daybreak.
15. What does Komako have Yoko deliver to Shimamura?
(a) A bottle of sake.
(b) A book about dancing.
(c) A boxed lunch.
(d) A note.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Komako sent to become a geisha?
2. Where did the food come from that the innkeeper's wife is warming?
3. How long does Komako say it has been since Shimamura last visited the resort town when he returns at the beginning of Part Two?
4. What does Yoko tell Shimamura she feels about Komako?
5. What does Shimamura's wife warn him about the season?
This section contains 567 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)