|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Komako apparently stop trying to do when staying at Shimamura's?
(a) Drinking too much alcohol
(b) Sitting on the floor.
(d) Leaving before daybreak.
2. Who is Saichiro?
(a) A guest at the inn.
(b) The town doctor.
(c) Komako's patron.
(d) Yoko's brother.
3. What does Komako excuse herself from the cemetery to do?
(a) To buy some flowers.
(b) To meet one of her patrons.
(c) To wash her hair.
(d) To mail a letter.
4. What festival is held in the resort town in February?
(a) The snow festival.
(b) The dragon dance festival.
(c) The new year festival.
(d) The bird chasing festival.
5. How many times has Komako visited Yukio's grave?
(a) Three or four times.
(c) Twelve times.
(d) Only once.
6. Why does the music teacher not teach Komako music?
(a) She has had a stroke.
(b) She has gone deaf.
(c) She dislikes Komako.
(d) Komako dislikes the teacher.
7. At the festival at night, what does Shimamura say is different in the resort town than in Tokyo?
(a) The music.
(b) The air.
(c) The spirit of the people.
(d) The stars.
8. What is Komako told about Yukio at the train station?
(a) That he is asking to see her.
(b) That he has recovered from his illness.
(c) That Yukio is dying.
(d) That he is marrying Yoko.
9. Where did the food come from that the innkeeper's wife is warming?
(a) The food is leftover from a celebration.
(b) The food was donated by a church.
(c) The food was brought to the inn from Komako's house.
(d) The food was prepared by geisha.
10. On Shimamura's third visit to the resort town, what food is the innkeeper's wife warming when he arrives at the inn?
(a) Rice cakes.
(b) Miso soup.
(c) Long cakes.
(d) Beef steak.
11. Where was Komako sent to become a geisha?
12. Who saw Komako off when she left for geisha training?
(a) Only Yukio.
(b) Only the music teacher.
(d) Only Yoko.
13. How many geisha serve the thirty guests of the party that Komako works at?
14. Who runs up to Komako at the train station?
(a) The music teacher.
(b) The train conductor.
(d) A beggar.
15. What does Komako call home to have delivered?
(a) A fresh kimono.
(b) Her diary.
(c) Her makeup.
(d) An instrument.
Short Answer Questions
1. After working for a year, how much of her geisha-service contract does Komako say she has already paid off?
2. Which of Yoko's features is Komako certain Shimamura likes?
3. What does Shimamura's wife warn him about the season?
4. What promise does Komako say Shimamura broke with her?
5. On their first full day together, what does Shimamura suggest Komako practice?
This section contains 489 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)