|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long does Komako say it has been since Shimamura last visited the resort town when he returns at the beginning of Part Two?
(a) Two years.
(b) One year.
(c) Six Months.
(d) A year and a half.
2. Why does the music teacher not teach Komako music?
(a) She has gone deaf.
(b) Komako dislikes the teacher.
(c) She has had a stroke.
(d) She dislikes Komako.
3. What is the purpose of the town's February festival?
(a) To usher in spring.
(b) To welcome the new year.
(c) To ward off evil.
(d) To bless local wildlife.
4. At night with Shimamura, who does Komako say spend all of their time at the cemetery?
(b) Her mother.
(d) The music teacher.
5. What creature(s) does Shimamura's wife refer to in her warning about the season?
(a) Forest spirits.
(c) A Dragon.
6. What does Shimamura ask Komako about Yoko, which makes her angry?
(a) Whether Yoko loved Yukio.
(b) Whether Yoko is single.
(c) Whether Komako treats Yoko nicely.
(d) Whether Yoko lives alone.
7. What does Komako have Yoko deliver to Shimamura?
(a) A boxed lunch.
(b) A book about dancing.
(c) A bottle of sake.
(d) A note.
8. What does Komako excuse herself from the cemetery to do?
(a) To meet one of her patrons.
(b) To buy some flowers.
(c) To mail a letter.
(d) To wash her hair.
9. What is the weather like outside the night before Shimamura is to return to Tokyo?
(a) It is raining outside.
(b) It is snowing outside.
(c) It is very cold outside.
(d) It is quite warm outside.
10. When Komako comes to Shimamura's room drunk, what does she ask him to cut for her?
(a) A knotted sash.
(b) Her tangled hair.
(c) A piece of bread.
(d) The strings supporting her hair.
11. Who thought it was a good idea for Yukio and Komako to marry?
(a) Yukio's mother.
(b) Komako's mother.
(c) Yukio himself.
(d) Komako herself.
12. What promise does Komako say Shimamura broke with her?
(a) To visit her on February fourteenth.
(b) To write her letters.
(c) To leave his wife.
(d) To never come back to the resort town.
13. Which of Yoko's features is Komako certain Shimamura likes?
(a) Her lips.
(b) Her eyes.
(c) Her hair.
(d) Her figure.
14. Where did the food come from that the innkeeper's wife is warming?
(a) The food was brought to the inn from Komako's house.
(b) The food was prepared by geisha.
(c) The food is leftover from a celebration.
(d) The food was donated by a church.
15. What is Komako told about Yukio at the train station?
(a) That Yukio is dying.
(b) That he is asking to see her.
(c) That he is marrying Yoko.
(d) That he has recovered from his illness.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Komako say she has come to Shimamura's room?
2. What does Shimamura become "strangely reluctant" to do after he learns of Yoko's new job?
3. What does Yoko tell Shimamura she feels about Komako?
4. Who does Shimamura notice Komako doesn't mention when she talks about Yukio?
5. On their first full day together, what does Shimamura suggest Komako practice?
This section contains 544 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)