|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is on the train with Shimamura when he leaves to go back to Tokyo at the end of Part One?
(a) A young man in a western-style suit.
(b) An elderly woman carrying parcels of food.
(c) A mother and her children.
(d) A middle-aged man and a young woman.
2. What does Komako call home to have delivered?
(a) An instrument.
(b) A fresh kimono.
(c) Her diary.
(d) Her makeup.
3. Where does Shimamura learn that Yoko is working?
(a) At the candy shop.
(b) At the hospital.
(c) At the inn.
(d) At a geisha house.
4. Why does Komako say she has come to Shimamura's room?
(a) Because she promised to.
(b) Because she missed Shimamura.
(c) Because she feels comfortable there.
(d) Because she forgot something there.
5. What is Komako told about Yukio at the train station?
(a) That Yukio is dying.
(b) That he has recovered from his illness.
(c) That he is asking to see her.
(d) That he is marrying Yoko.
6. What does Komako think Shimamura should do the day following the festival?
(a) Return to Tokyo.
(b) Explore the countryside.
(c) Take a walk with her.
(d) Visit Yoko.
7. What does Komako say she will not do with Shimamura again?
(a) Talk to him about personal matters.
(b) Bathe with him.
(c) See him off at the train station.
(d) Sleep with him.
8. Who runs up to Komako at the train station?
(a) The train conductor.
(b) The music teacher.
(d) A beggar.
9. How does Shimamura describe the voice that he hears calling to Komako from the hallway?
(a) As loud.
(b) As beautiful.
(c) As hoarse.
(d) As faint.
10. What answer does Komako give to Shimamura's questions about her engagement?
(a) Komako hopes to get married someday.
(b) Komako is engaged.
(c) Komako is not engaged.
(d) Komako might be forced get married.
11. What does Shimamura's wife say he should take care of in her warning about the season?
(a) His health.
(b) His clothing.
(c) His bathing habits.
(d) His eating habits.
12. What promise does Komako say Shimamura broke with her?
(a) To write her letters.
(b) To leave his wife.
(c) To visit her on February fourteenth.
(d) To never come back to the resort town.
13. What obstacle can the drunken Komako not believe she surpassed on her own to reach Shimamura's room?
(a) The dark hallway.
(b) A rickety bridge.
(c) A locked gate.
(d) The hill to the inn.
14. On the night of the festival, who asks Shimamura whether he ever worries about other people's problems?
(b) A beggar woman.
15. What does Shimamura become "strangely reluctant" to do after he learns of Yoko's new job?
(a) Invite Komoko to the inn.
(b) Leave his room at the inn.
(c) Speak to Yoko.
(d) Go shopping in town.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Komako sent to become a geisha?
2. How many times has Komako visited Yukio's grave?
3. How does Komako practice music?
4. What does Shimamura's wife warn him about the season?
5. What creature(s) does Shimamura's wife refer to in her warning about the season?
This section contains 521 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)