|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What mode of transportation is Shimamura using to get to the resort town?
(a) A train.
(b) A bicycle.
(c) An automobile.
(d) A ship.
2. What does Shimamura refer to as "free, uncontrolled fantasy"?
(b) His trips to the resort town.
(c) His dance research.
(d) Reading books set abroad.
3. Why does Komako have to leave Shimamura's room before daylight?
(a) So that she will not be late for work.
(b) So that Shimamura can sleep in.
(c) So that she can watch the sun rise.
(d) So that no one will see her face.
4. In the spring, how long had Shimamura spent in the mountains?
(a) One month.
(b) Seven days.
(c) Two weeks.
(d) Three days.
5. Who is Shimamura told has a girl living with her that may serve him instead of a geisha?
(a) The Innkeeper.
(b) A local shopkeeper.
(c) The town mayor.
(d) The town music teacher.
6. What does Komako do for a living?
(a) Komako is a geisha.
(b) Komako is a writer.
(c) Komako is a teacher.
(d) Komako is a weaver.
7. Who does Komako says is entitled to decided when a geisha is dismissed?
(a) The guest.
(b) The geisha's guardian.
(c) The innkeeper.
(d) The geisha.
8. Why does Komako blame Shimamura for sleeping with her?
(a) Because Shimamura is older than Komako.
(b) Because Komako was drunk.
(c) Because Shimamura is married.
(d) Because Shimamura was too weak to sleep with the geisha.
9. When Komako visits Shimamura's room, what does he try to persuade Komako to do?
(a) To walk home.
(b) To stay the night.
(c) To call a taxi.
(d) To get herself a room at the inn.
10. How does Shimamura claim money has been sent to him?
(a) With a friend just arrived from Tokyo.
(d) In the mail.
11. What does Shimamura say left him at the sight of the young geisha?
(a) His honor.
(b) His determination.
(c) His courage.
(d) His strength.
12. What relationship does Shimamura want with Komako?
(a) A romantic relationship.
(b) An employer/employee relationship.
(d) No relationship at all.
13. What is Komako's room like?
(a) The room is windowless.
(b) The room is messy.
(c) The room is bare.
(d) The room is neat.
14. What does Shimamura suddenly find himself enchanted by as he leaves to collect his money?
(a) The leaves on the mountain.
(b) A beautiful geisha.
(c) A quick flowing river.
(d) The smell of the hot springs.
15. Who or what appears on Komako's list the most?
Short Answer Questions
1. After they sleep together, what does Komako believe Shimamura is laughing at?
2. What does Komako tell Shimamura had worried her for a time?
3. Before she stumbles into Shimamura's room, who has Komako spent the evening with?
4. Who does Shimamura think Komako would be a good companion for?
5. How does Shimamura feel as he descends the mountain?
This section contains 490 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)