|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Komako live?
(a) A loft in a dilapidated house.
(b) Above a tea house.
(c) In an apartment with a friend.
(d) In the inn.
2. What does Komako make a list of?
(a) Men she likes.
(b) Books she likes.
(c) Places she likes.
(d) Animals she likes.
3. How much snow is expected when Shimamura arrives in snow country?
(a) One or two feet.
(c) Seven or eight feet.
(d) Four or five inches.
4. Before she stumbles into Shimamura's room, who has Komako spent the evening with?
(a) Some travelers.
(b) A patron.
(c) A lover.
(d) Her friends.
5. Who or what appears on Komako's list the most?
6. Why does Komako blame Shimamura for sleeping with her?
(a) Because Shimamura is older than Komako.
(b) Because Shimamura is married.
(c) Because Shimamura was too weak to sleep with the geisha.
(d) Because Komako was drunk.
7. Why does Komako question Shimamura's sexual advances?
(a) Because Shimamura is married.
(b) Because Shimamura said he disliked her.
(c) Because Shimamura had said they should just be friends.
(d) Because Shimamura doesn't know her well.
8. What does Shimamura say he often loses with himself?
9. Why is Shimamura told that there are no geishas available?
(a) It is a holiday for the geisha.
(b) There is a celebration in town.
(c) The weather is to dangerous to travel in.
(d) Shimamura doesn't have enough money.
10. What does Shimamura note that he didn't do while he was away from the resort town?
(a) Write to Komako.
(b) Think about Komako.
(c) Tell his wife about Komako.
(d) Telephone Komako.
11. Who is Yoko accompanied by?
(a) A sick man.
(b) A child.
(c) A nurse.
(d) A relative.
12. What does Komako say her diary can confirm?
(a) What the weather has been like any day of the last year.
(b) The date of her night with Shimamura.
(c) The promises Shimamura made her on his last visit.
(d) How much money she has made working as a geisha.
13. What has Komako cataloged since she was a teenager?
(a) The men she has been with.
(b) The short stories and novels she has read.
(c) The animals whe has spotted.
(d) The movies she has seen.
14. What condition is Komako in when she visits Shimamura's room?
(a) She is lucid.
(b) She is ill.
(c) She is drunk.
(d) She is tired.
15. What does Shimamura suddenly find himself enchanted by as he leaves to collect his money?
(a) The leaves on the mountain.
(b) The smell of the hot springs.
(c) A beautiful geisha.
(d) A quick flowing river.
Short Answer Questions
1. What can be said of Komako's mood when she is with Shimamura in the first half of Part One of the novel?
2. While spending time with Shimamura after they have discussed her diary-keeping, what does Komako seem to be feeling doubtful of?
3. What does Komako do when Shimamura tries to touch her chest?
4. What does Shimamura say seems to be pulling him back to Komako from afar?
5. What country is "Snow Country" set in?
This section contains 546 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)