|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Shimamura say he often loses with himself?
2. Where does Komako live?
(a) In the inn.
(b) In an apartment with a friend.
(c) A loft in a dilapidated house.
(d) Above a tea house.
3. What can be said of Komako's mood when she is with Shimamura in the first half of Part One of the novel?
(a) Komako has mood swings.
(b) Komako is depressed.
(c) Komako hides her moods.
(d) Komako is happy.
4. What does Komako intend to do with her diary before she dies?
(a) Donate it to a museum.
(b) Bury it.
(c) Burn it.
(d) Give it to her children.
5. Who is Yoko accompanied by?
(a) A child.
(b) A relative.
(c) A sick man.
(d) A nurse.
6. What kind of geisha does Shimamura request?
(a) A young and good-looking one.
(b) One who dances beautifully.
(c) One who is talented musically.
(d) An experienced one.
7. Why does Komako question Shimamura's sexual advances?
(a) Because Shimamura had said they should just be friends.
(b) Because Shimamura doesn't know her well.
(c) Because Shimamura said he disliked her.
(d) Because Shimamura is married.
8. Before she stumbles into Shimamura's room, who has Komako spent the evening with?
(a) A lover.
(b) A patron.
(c) Some travelers.
(d) Her friends.
9. After he has climbed up the mountain for fun, how does Shimamura descend again?
(a) Slowly in a meandering way.
(b) He runs down at full speed.
(c) Marching with determination.
(d) Quickly, but tripping over his feet.
10. What is Komako's purpose in creating her catalog?
(a) It is like a fun personal game for her.
(b) There is no purpose.
(c) Komako hopes to share it with her children.
(d) Komako will read it as an old woman to remember her youth.
11. What does Shimamura say seems to be pulling him back to Komako from afar?
(a) The forefinger of his left hand.
(b) His subconscious.
(c) His heart.
(d) The thread of fate.
12. How is Komako described by the old woman Shimamura meets in the latter half of Part One ?
(a) As a dangerous woman.
(b) As popular with men.
(c) As the best musician around.
(d) As a wonderful dancer.
13. What does Shimamura suddenly find himself enchanted by as he leaves to collect his money?
(a) The leaves on the mountain.
(b) A beautiful geisha.
(c) The smell of the hot springs.
(d) A quick flowing river.
14. How much snow is expected when Shimamura arrives in snow country?
(a) Seven or eight feet.
(b) Four or five inches.
(d) One or two feet.
15. When Shimamura comes back to the resort town for a second time, how many days does Komako say it has been since she and Shimamura were last together?
(a) Thirty days.
(b) Ninety days.
(c) Three-hundred and seven days.
(d) One hundred and ninety-nine days.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Shimamura refer to as "free, uncontrolled fantasy"?
2. How are Komako's skills described to Shimamura?
3. Why is Shimamura told that there are no geishas available?
4. What does Komako make a list of?
5. What form of dance does Shimamura find interesting?
This section contains 539 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)