|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many lions inhabit Kruger Park?
2. What does Evan Pentelow do to Link for the first time that shows a hint of friendship?
3. What is Katya wearing when she arrives at Roderick Hodge's apartment?
4. Where is Danilo staying South Africa?
5. What is Piano Nyembezi's job in the mine?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Link think about the vultures around the car he is pretending to be trapped in and how does Danilo react to them?
2. What is the night like when Link returns to the rondavel after talking to Charlie and what does he think about?
3. What are Evan Pentelow's beliefs concerning the value of gold?
4. What does Link think about hunger as he sits in the car starving to death?
5. Describe the conflict arises between Evan Pentelow and Haagner.
6. What is the difference, according to Pieter Losenwoldt, between the way gold is extracted in South Africa and how it is extracted in California and Alaska.
7. How does Link take stock of the two attempts on his life since he arrived in South Africa?
8. Describe the light packs the party uses to go into the mine.
9. What does Link say to Roderick Hodge about his brush with death in the gold mine and how does he respond?
10. Why does Roderick Hodge try to bounce Melanie back into seduction mode after her political spiel and what do Melanie's instincts tell her to do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why is Link suspicious of Greville Arknold at the end of Chapter 4? What conclusion has he come to about Nerissa's horses based on the evidence given to him at the time? What tests have been run? How do the horses look to Link?
Essay Topic 2
Why do Roderick Hodge and Katya set Link up? How do they do it? Why would they betray his trust like this? How does Roderick Hodge try to make amends? What does Link think of him?
Essay Topic 3
Why is Link so sick when he first finds himself trapped in the car in Kruger Park? What does he think is making him ill? How does he progress through this initial discomfort?
This section contains 823 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)