|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the brand name of binoculars that Link uses to watch the horses?
2. What is the name of Link's daughter?
3. The steering wheel wheel is described as being as durable as _____.
4. What is the name of the van Hurens' son?
5. Where does Link read the leading-sires tables on Nerissa's horses?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Quentin van Huren say when more people join the party to go into the gold mine?
2. What is Summerveld and why does Greville Arknold use it?
3. How does Link describe Nerissa and how has she changed?
4. What are the two undetectable ways the horses could be tampered with in their racing?
5. How does Link show his innate humility in regards to the story in the papers that touts his heroism in saving Katya's life?
6. How does Conrad sum up Drix Goddart's personality?
7. What does Link say to do when Charlie asks Nerissa what she told Danilo about her illness and her will before he came to South Africa?
8. How does Link react to the personal appearances that Clifford Wenkins and Worldic have booked for him?
9. How does Link describe Newmarket race tracks?
10. What is the hotel like where the crew stays after the day's shooting and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why is Link suspicious of Greville Arknold at the end of Chapter 4? What conclusion has he come to about Nerissa's horses based on the evidence given to him at the time? What tests have been run? How do the horses look to Link?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the "hope-despair" seesaw Link goes through when trapped. Who does he think will miss him and come looking for him? Who does he eliminate as possible rescuers? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Why is Link so sick when he first finds himself trapped in the car in Kruger Park? What does he think is making him ill? How does he progress through this initial discomfort?
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)