|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the dog do when Jason spills his milk?
2. What does Matt tell Lizabeth to do with the letter he refuses to open?
3. Why does Lizabeth lose her balance in Chapter 3?
4. What feature does Lizabeth find unusual about the intruder?
5. Why does Matt say that Lizabeth is putting the burden of not escalating their relationship on him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Compare/contrast Lizabeth's relationship with Paul to her relationship with Matt.
2. After a long conversation about the boundaries of their relationship, Lizabeth tells Matt that she is leaving him in charge. What is she leaving him in charge of and why?
3. Aunt Elsie is determined to stay up and see the "pervert." Is her (im)patience rewarded? How does she react to his appearance?
4. Elsie's first impression of Lizabeth's house when she drives up is that Lizabeth still doesn't let reality interfere with her imagination. What is meant by this statement?
5. What does Lizabeth realize about the flasher after he races by her house and waves to her in Chapter 4?
6. What do you think was the purpose of including the fact that Lizabeth wanted to be a fairy when she grew up?
7. Why might the author have moved Matt and Lizabeth so quickly to a kissing scene?
8. When Lizabeth is awakened in the middle of the night by pebbles being thrown against her window, what does she imagine it to be?
9. Why is Lizabeth surprised by Paul's request to take the boys for a two-week vacation?
10. Do you believe novels from this genre in general express a cavalier attitude toward premarital sex? How does "Smitten" fit into this genre in this respect?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are several uses of symbolism in this novel. Select two and thoroughly explain the relationship between the symbol and what it represents. What is its importance to the story line?
Essay Topic 2
Matt's motorcycle is huge and shiny, and it terrifies Lizabeth. This item is heavy with symbolism. What does it represent and why?
Essay Topic 3
Which character serves as the antagonist for this novel? What about that person makes him/her the antagonist? Is there more than one antagonist? If so, who? Which antagonist is more important to the story line and why? Or are they equally important? If so, why?
This section contains 1,165 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)