|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old was Matt when he left home?
2. Why does Lizabeth lose her balance in Chapter 3?
(a) She trips over a warning rope.
(b) She punches someone in the nose.
(c) She is pushed.
(d) Someone startles her as she is bending over.
3. Lizabeth tells Matt that she needs time to assert her independence. How much time does she tell him she needs?
(a) Six months.
(b) She says she doesn't know.
(c) A year.
(d) Two weeks.
4. What does Lizabeth do after her dog licks the kitchen table?
(a) She calls Animal Control.
(b) She wipes the table with Lysol.
(c) She laughs.
(d) She chases the dog out the door.
5. Whose driveway does the intruder go into?
(a) Elsie Hawkins'.
(c) Elmer Nielson's.
(d) Vinnie Mazerelli's.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color is Lizabeth's aunt's car?
2. What awakens Lizabeth after the dinner at which Jason spills his milk?
3. Why does Matt not want to tell Lizabeth the story behind the letter?
4. Why does Matt say that Lizabeth is putting the burden of not escalating their relationship on him?
5. Jason asks Lizabeth if she is going to get a _____________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why might the author have moved Matt and Lizabeth so quickly to a kissing scene?
2. During a particularly bad rainstorm, Matt convinces Lizabeth to dance like a fairy on a board positioned above a mud puddle. How does Lizabeth feel about this rain dance, and what does it symbolize to her?
3. What does Elsie's character add to the novel? How would it be different without her?
4. What happens when Lizabeth thinks she hears the flasher throwing stones against her window the morning after her first sighting of him?
5. Comic relief is almost necessary in such a tension-charged novel. Describe the scene at the dinner table in Chapter 3.
6. Choose one theme shown thus far in the novel and explain its importance to the story line.
7. Matt and Lizabeth discuss the flasher and his MO after his second appearance. As they try to figure out who he is, they come up with a couple hypotheses. What do they surmise about the flasher during this discussion?
8. Compare/contrast Lizabeth's relationship with Paul to her relationship with Matt.
9. How does Matt attempt to keep Lizabeth's mind off of her boys being gone?
10. What secret does Matt share with Lizabeth after their intimate moment in the bathroom they are restoring, and how does Lizabeth react to his revelation?
This section contains 1,217 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)